Will science explain everything?

Not if quantum mechanics is part of the math. Spontaneous creation of matter throws a monkey wrench into a purely mechanical universe at least so far.
Have you read much on the theories that the universe is a holographic 2D image? IF any of these pan out, then gravity has to be rethought along with quantum physics and general relativity.

Have you read much on the theories that the universe is a holographic 2D image? IF any of these pan out, then gravity has to be rethought along with quantum physics and general relativity.
No, I haven't. Been reading mostly the ancient Western philosophies lately. And a bunch of pondering while riding the lawn mower. I have built my collection of Philosophy textbooks to a size where I can get a pretty decent survey of any one subject.

No, I haven't. Been reading mostly the ancient Western philosophies lately. And a bunch of pondering while riding the lawn mower. I have built my collection of Philosophy textbooks to a size where I can get a pretty decent survey of any one subject.
Just an idea for you if you are interested: There are some Yale courses on YouTube including a class on Plato's The Republic. They are older but it is the classroom instruction from a professor. I made it through several classes as I read the book but I still missed out on most of the lesson because I had not read any of the required material. You might very well have a strong enough foundation to follow the course, if that interests you.

Just an idea for you if you are interested: There are some Yale courses on YouTube including a class on Plato's The Republic. They are older but it is the classroom instruction from a professor. I made it through several classes as I read the book but I still missed out on most of the lesson because I had not read any of the required material. You might very well have a strong enough foundation to follow the course, if that interests you.
Thanks, I'll look into it. The Republic is an old favorite of mine that has roots of current political theory. A really cool mashup is with Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil.

I am with you until the end of the end of the first paragraph. The bolded parts are in direct conflict, IMHO. If religion has been perverted, how can it be the main contributor in human conflict? Are you suggesting that without religion human history would have engaged in less warfare/oppression? Religion is a tool, no more responsible for conflict than gunpowder, cannons, technology, economic theory, horses, ships, iron, rocks and stone. If you want to name the thing responsible for human conflict, go with humans. JMO

Granted, I was likely drunk at the time of the original posting, along with my reply now, but while it's obvious that humans are responsible for human conflict, humans are also responsible for religion. I'll borrow a paraphrased line from the DaVinci Code:

"Ever since there has been one true god, there has been killing in his name".

Would people still kill each other without religion? Yep. This is mostly to gain or retain power (politics), or even because someone is different (race or way of thinking). Each religious doctrine has been trying to gain/retain power, as religion has historically meant power and money funneling in from the followers, along with trying to change the thinking of others to their own, many times through force. The crusades, jihad/terrorism, holocaust, etc.

So yes, without religion, I believe there would be less human conflict and oppression, but it certainly won't eliminate it.

edited: A conversation to broach/continue for another time in another thread.

Last edited:
The belief that science is the only basis for truth is called scientism. But even scientists know there are limits to the scientific method. Science cannot handle certain things like love, justice or ethics.

Does this explain the need for a god? Or is there a 3rd realm of understanding to go along with natural and supernatural?
Or just ‘knowledge’ or ‘consciousness.’
materialism and scientism are bunk philosophies. This is not even debated by any serious thinkers.

Or just ‘knowledge’ or ‘consciousness.’
materialism and scientism are bunk philosophies. This is not even debated by any serious thinkers.
Serious about what? "Consciousness" is amongst the most debated/wrote about subjects in all philosophy.

Oh, maybe it was a typo and you meant "serious drinkers".

Serious about what? "Consciousness" is amongst the most debated/wrote about subjects in all philosophy.

Oh, maybe it was a typo and you meant "serious drinkers".
Read again what I wrote.

Yeah. I think y’all need to read what I wrote again.
mom didn’t state that consciousness and knowledge aren’t debated.
i stated that materialism and scientism aren’t even debated as serious philosophies… because of the intrinsic, apparent, and confounding issues surrounding consciousness and knowledge.

I am responding to the OP actual question. Answer is no.

Even when Science has an answer their own side looks for ways to disprove it.
We are always evolving & we are always learning which is always changing science.
So someone true to science could never say yes. Science can explain everything.

Only what is the best Hypothesis to the question.

Only thing I have ever heard act like they have all the answers is religion. Some that feel that strongly seems to act resolute.

no one will ever truly know how the world started. I believe in a mix of creation and big bang but some think the 2 can't coexist.

Yeah. I think y’all need to read what I wrote again.
mom didn’t state that consciousness and knowledge aren’t debated.
i stated that materialism and scientism aren’t even debated as serious philosophies… because of the intrinsic, apparent, and confounding issues surrounding consciousness and knowledge.
Mea culpa. I apologize.

no one will ever truly know how the world started. I believe in a mix of creation and big bang but some think the 2 can't coexist.
I believe that God created the Big Bang ... which would be a marriage of Creation and Science ... I have no proof, I am not that old :beer2:

that is the irony to me. (for those that think one or the other)
I think science proves (not absolute proof obviously) that there is a higher design that makes this earth as livable as it is.
You either have to believe in GOD or whatever form of higher design you believe, or you have to believe in an infinite # of coincidences & blind luck to have what earth is for life. I for one dont believe in religion, but cant even come close to believing an infinite # of coincidences happened in just the right order for this planet & Orbit to exist.
So I do believe science points at a higher design to creation even though religion would like to denounce science. So I think the two are tied together whether people like it or not.

that is the irony to me. (for those that think one or the other)
I think science proves (not absolute proof obviously) that there is a higher design that makes this earth as livable as it is.
You either have to believe in GOD or whatever form of higher design you believe, or you have to believe in an infinite # of coincidences & blind luck to have what earth is for life. I for one dont believe in religion, but cant even come close to believing an infinite # of coincidences happened in just the right order for this planet & Orbit to exist.
So I do believe science points at a higher design to creation even though religion would like to denounce science. So I think the two are tied together whether people like it or not.
I can no more conceptualize an infinite # of coincidences than a span of 10s of billions of years.

Last edited:
I can no more conceptualize an I finite # of coincidences than a span of 10s of billions of years.
Thats the part I think is odd about the thinking that there is no way this could have happened by coincidence. My step dad will say that shit all the time about a strange event, and claim, "You cant tell me there is no God. That cant be a coincidence!" Like, why the fuck not. There are billions of people on the planet right now, constantly doing shit, and crazy shit just happens. That is just talking about this planet, and people specifically.
Who can wrap their mind around the constant on goings of the universe, not only now as we think we know it, but for billions of years before us. It is baffling to me that we think we are so fucking important that there HAD to be a divine creator. It is the most pompous thing people believe in my opinion. It is mostly due to us thinking we are so fucking important, when if you look out there, we are so insignificant to the big picture.

Thats the part I think is odd about the thinking that there is no way this could have happened by coincidence. My step dad will say that shit all the time about a strange event, and claim, "You cant tell me there is no God. That cant be a coincidence!" Like, why the fuck not. There are billions of people on the planet right now, constantly doing shit, and crazy shit just happens. That is just talking about this planet, and people specifically.
Who can wrap their mind around the constant on goings of the universe, not only now as we think we know it, but for billions of years before us. It is baffling to me that we think we are so fucking important that there HAD to be a divine creator. It is the most pompous thing people believe in my opinion. It is mostly due to us thinking we are so fucking important, when if you look out there, we are so insignificant to the big picture.
When you stare into the abyss...

Consciousness gives us a perspective of "I". Each person is the center of their own universe. Ego centric indeed.

When you stare into the abyss...

Consciousness gives us a perspective of "I". Each person is the center of their own universe. Ego centric indeed.
So you're saying people need to eat more shrooms?