Worst trade this century

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 10,650.00
There’s plenty of bad ones.

The Pirates trade for Chris Archer
Braves trade for Mark Teixeira
Braves trade for JD Drew

But my pick for the worst is the Cardinals trade for Marcel Ozuna.

They traded Zac Gallen and Sandy Alcantara for Ozuna. Two aces, over 30 WAR for two mediocre years of Marcel Ozuna and now their pitching is in shambles

That trade and Randy Arozarena and Adolis Garcia being in their system too and making impacts elsewhere tells me the Cards need a big time front office shakeup

Yadier Molina isn’t there to supply the entire team with roids anymore, and it’s showing big time now

But my pick for the worst is the Cardinals trade for Marcel Ozuna.

They traded Zac Gallen and Sandy Alcantara for Ozuna. Two aces, over 30 WAR for two mediocre years of Marcel Ozuna and now their pitching is in shambles
:wank::wank::wank::wank:

Signed, the rest of the NL Central.

hindsight is 20/20

neither Gallen nor Alcantara were aces in 2017

the Marlins cashed in at the right time on Ozuna.

also how did I know OP would say it was a trade involving a Braves player?

The Marlins didn't get shit when they sold Yelich to Milwaukee, though. Win some/lose some.

The Marlins didn't get shit when they sold Yelich to Milwaukee, though. Win some/lose some.
they clean house pretty often too...

but you're right, win some, lose some.

their haul for Ozuna might be one of their best.

but then they turned around and sent Gallen to AZ for Jazz Chisholm, who hasn't been bad for them

At the time, the package they got for Yelich was considered to be the best package. Lewis Brinson being a major bust kinda killed that trade for them though.

Now that I think about it, the very little they got for Miguel Cabrera would rank near the top for me too

Almost any free agent signed by the Mets for cold, hard cash. Money is always good, and the Mets free agents, not so much.

Pirates trade Jose Bautista to Blue Jays
Marlins trade Miguel Cabrera to Tigers
Diamondbacks/Yankees/Tigers trade (Diamondbacks traded Scherzer)
Rangers trade Adrian Gonzalez/Chris Young to Padres
Christian Yelich trade
Yordan Alvarez to Astros
White Sox trade Tatis Jr for James Shields

hindsight is 20/20

neither Gallen nor Alcantara were aces in 2017

Perhaps, but it doesn't make the trade hurt any less. Just because the Sox had Boggs at 3rd doesn't take the sting away from trading Bagwell... for a half season of a relief pitcher

Pirates trade Jose Bautista to Blue Jays
Marlins trade Miguel Cabrera to Tigers
Diamondbacks/Yankees/Tigers trade (Diamondbacks traded Scherzer)
Rangers trade Adrian Gonzalez/Chris Young to Padres
Christian Yelich trade
Yordan Alvarez to Astros
White Sox trade Tatis Jr for James Shields
From my Tigers perspective, the Verlander trade is the worst.

Phillies getting dick for Cliff Lee.

And the initial Lee trade. Knapp/Donald/Marson flopped, but Carrasco had a nice five year run as one of the best pitchers in the AL while they only got about 120 innings out of Lee (including the postseason) before trading him to the M's (wow, I forgot he was in Seattle briefly)

I'd still say #1 is the Colon trade (Grady Sizemore, Brandon Phillips, Cliff Lee).

I'd still say #1 is the Colon trade (Grady Sizemore, Brandon Phillips, Cliff Lee).
That was bad, but also, the Expos front office thought the team was gonna be contracted and wasn’t concerned about prospects.

That was bad, but also, the Expos front office thought the team was gonna be contracted and wasn’t concerned about prospects.

There's that, but they still gave up three all-stars (two of whom were elite players for a while) for a rental. I can't think of any trades that approach this trade in terms of WAR acquired/given up. Also, Minaya was an idiot of a GM.