Worst trade this century

Tom Brunansky for Tommy Herr

Ok, I can follow directions!

Johan Santana for Carlos Gomez, Philip Humber, Kevin Mulvey & Deolis Guerra

Ok, I can follow directions!

Johan Santana for Carlos Gomez, Philip Humber, Kevin Mulvey & Deolis Guerra
I just got reminded that JJ Hardy was briefly a Twin. Good Immaculate Grid information, thanks

The Tyler Mahle from Cincinnati for Christian Encarnacion-Strand and Spencer Steer looks like it's going to be a shitty trade! The trade for Jorge Lopez is shit as well, Falvey should be fired at seasons end!!

From my Tigers perspective, the Verlander trade is the worst.
It's not much better for Tigers fans if you go back a ways. The Tigers also traded a young John Smoltz to the Braves, in return for Doyle Alexander

It's not much better for Tigers fans if you go back a ways. The Tigers also traded a young John Smoltz to the Braves, in return for Doyle Alexander

I enjoyed his pitching quite a bit in the 87 playoffs!

Alexander was a rental, but he was also great for the Tigers during the stretch run. It was a bad trade, but at least the Tigers got what they were hoping for in return

Alexander was a rental, but he was also great for the Tigers during the stretch run. It was a bad trade, but at least the Tigers got what they were hoping for in return
yes and no. He did very well for that short term stretch, but went down after and retired like a season or so later. Point is, Detroit has a history of trading away great pitchers.

That one was way fucking worse.

Especially with Smoltz being a MI kid and huge Tigers fan. But it was in 87.

Not that Doyle was huge for them in 87. But got damn…

Perhaps, but it doesn't make the trade hurt any less. Just because the Sox had Boggs at 3rd doesn't take the sting away from trading Bagwell... for a half season of a relief pitcher

It's not like Bagwell was a young kid in single A either, he was a drafted from college well developed prospect.

Ok, maybe tying rebar is a worse trade than being an insulator.

It's not like Bagwell was a young kid in single A either, he was a drafted from college well developed prospect.

Yep, he was in AA and ranked #32 per BA going into 1991.

From my Tigers perspective, the Verlander trade is the worst.
When they made the trade, I thought they got a pretty good return (turned out to be poor) The biggest mistake the Tigers made was going for the rebuild. Letting Scherzer go and signing Zimmerman was just foolish. It all went down hill after that.

When they made the trade, I thought they got a pretty good return (turned out to be poor) The biggest mistake the Tigers made was going for the rebuild. Letting Scherzer go and signing Zimmerman was just foolish. It all went down hill after that.
Zimmerman was great for a couple months.

Was at the game when it all started to go south.

Never should’ve low baller Scherzer.

The worst trade this century was EuroHoop trading Hammer for Shaggy.

Everything else is a distant runner-up.