Writers and Actors 2023 Strikes

Fucking pay them. Most all their demands aren't that unreasonable.

If it gets done within a month or so, I doubt they'll be much, if any delays because a lot of the work for Fall shows was gonna be starting within the next 2 months anyway, but if it lingers beyond that, there's gonna be problems

The writers' strike is now joined by an actors' strike:

"SAG-AFTRA’s Negotiating Committee Unanimously Recommends Strike as Contract Deadline Passes Without a Deal"

"SAG-AFTRA Officially Calls Strike as National Board Approves Guild's First Walkout Against Film & TV Industry Since 1980"

Production could limp along on some things with one strike, but not both. Production on most everything is now going to grind to a complete halt. Lots of movies and TV shows have already been delayed or cancelled by the writers' strike -- now it's going to be a LOT more stuff. 2024 is going to be a 2020-covid-era level of empty-ish for movies and TV.

Sounds to me like we are going to be getting a lot more foreign films on the streaming platforms over the next year.

So does this mean WWE and the wrestling shows are all going to stop? :pop2:

No. They aren't union.

But basically every TV show and movie that's hasn't finished filming has stopped now. They'll run out of shows some time in late Summer/early Fall and every movie that hasn't wrapped will now be delayed. So if you were excited to see a movie say Jan 2024, it's probably gonna get pushed back 6 to 8 months or more depending on how long the strike is. Most movies scheduled for release this year should still be ok because they are usually done filming though its possible so later releases (December for example) might still be doing some re-shoots.

Fucking pay them. Most all their demands aren't that unreasonable.

If it gets done within a month or so, I doubt they'll be much, if any delays because a lot of the work for Fall shows was gonna be starting within the next 2 months anyway, but if it lingers beyond that, there's gonna be problems
My daughter is finishing up production on an animated show in Hollywood and just got assigned to another animated show (on Netflix but no longer works there). She told me the writer’s strike affected hiring. She has been trying to get 2 friends into her company but the writers strike has shut down hiring. Actors not sure how that would affect things other than voice overs.

My daughter is finishing up production on an animated show in Hollywood and just got assigned to another animated show (on Netflix but no longer works there). She told me the writer’s strike affected hiring. She has been trying to get 2 friends into her company but the writers strike has shut down hiring. Actors not sure how that would affect things other than voice overs.

If they're union, all VO work just came to a halt too (some VO work isn't a union job, but most of the bigger roles are)

Whatever higher salaries get negotiated will get passed onto consumers. Fuck 'em, it's not like we need more Jimmy Fallon or Fast n' Furious movies. Make better crap, instead of continually upping fees with corresponding increases in quality.

Only 3 more months to NHL & NFL.

A major point of dispute in both strikes is the use of AI-generated scripts or actors, such as this:

DiscussingFilm said:
The studio's A.I. proposal to SAG-AFTRA included scanning a background actor's likeness for one day's worth of pay and using their likeness forever in any form without any pay or consent.

No. They aren't union.

But basically every TV show and movie that's hasn't finished filming has stopped now. They'll run out of shows some time in late Summer/early Fall and every movie that hasn't wrapped will now be delayed. So if you were excited to see a movie say Jan 2024, it's probably gonna get pushed back 6 to 8 months or more depending on how long the strike is. Most movies scheduled for release this year should still be ok because they are usually done filming though its possible so later releases (December for example) might still be doing some re-shoots.
Good. Boo Radley fucking Hoo.

Jesus fucking Christ, get a fucking grip. They are vastly overpaid, and so are their fucking employers.

I hope the whole shitbang crashes and fucking burns.

Maybe then, we can actually get some good movies again.

With that said, FFFFFUUUUCCCKKK AI.

What an entirely retarded idea.

Just go non-Union. These writers and actors auck these days.

Good. Boo Radley fucking Hoo.

Jesus fucking Christ, get a fucking grip. They are vastly overpaid, and so are their fucking employers.

I hope the whole shitbang crashes and fucking burns.

Maybe then, we can actually get some good movies again.

Who are you referring to as overpaid? There's like 100,000+ people in SAG. Of that, the A-list stars make up a tiny number of that. The A-list stars get a lot of money, but that's not what's driving the strike (though A listers are supporting it). It's more about the working actors and on down the line. These people aren't getting paid much of anything relative to what the shows earn. Not just some rando background actor either. People you'd recognize. It's a misnomer that because you're famous on a TV show or movie that you're rich. And beyond that, one of the bigger sticking points of the strike (both of them) is how the studios aren't being forthcoming about streaming numbers, which affects pay. TLDR of that specific issue is the streamers are lying about view count so they don't have to pay out the actors/writers their residuals that are due to them. The best way people can look at this is think of your current employer and the a salary you are making. What if you found out your employer is keeping 1000s of dollars that you are actually entitled to? But it wasn't just your employer, but your industry so its not like you could quit that job and go work the same role in another company. That's basically what's going on in the WGA and SAG strikes (among other issues such as AI mentioned above)

Who are you referring to as overpaid? There's like 100,000+ people in SAG. Of that, the A-list stars make up a tiny number of that. The A-list stars get a lot of money, but that's not what's driving the strike (though A listers are supporting it). It's more about the working actors and on down the line. These people aren't getting paid much of anything relative to what the shows earn. Not just some rando background actor either. People you'd recognize. It's a misnomer that because you're famous on a TV show or movie that you're rich. And beyond that, one of the bigger sticking points of the strike (both of them) is how the studios aren't being forthcoming about streaming numbers, which affects pay. TLDR of that specific issue is the streamers are lying about view count so they don't have to pay out the actors/writers their residuals that are due to them. The best way people can look at this is think of your current employer and the a salary you are making. What if you found out your employer is keeping 1000s of dollars that you are actually entitled to? But it wasn't just your employer, but your industry so its not like you could quit that job and go work the same role in another company. That's basically what's going on in the WGA and SAG strikes (among other issues such as AI mentioned above)
to accompany this post.

also, the thing where they were body scanning background actors for $100 bucks to use in perpetuity, completely fucked.

this is the same shit we get about any sports players demanding more money. people are always fuck the guy doing the work asking for more money that's making the billionaires money, so fucking dumb.

to accompany this post.

also, the thing where they were body scanning background actors for $100 bucks to use in perpetuity, completely fucked.

this is the same shit we get about any sports players demanding more money. people are always fuck the guy doing the work asking for more money that's making the billionaires money, so fucking dumb.

for the folks that won't read the twitter thread:

Hi, all. I write jokes for TV, but not long ago I was a financial analyst. I had my Series 7.

For those who say Fran Drescher or any SAG-AFTRA member should stop whining and appreciate what they have, let me give you a lesson in capitalism. 🧵
The WGA and SAG-AFTRA are dealing mainly with publicly traded companies, companies that have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders.

Netflix, for example, has 88.21% of their shares held by institutional investors - banks, hedge funds, insurance companies, etc.
This morning, Netflix stock hit a 52-week high. They made institutional investors alone $106+ billion dollars this year.

$106 BILLION.

Fran Drescher, for her entire life, is worth $25 million.
It's easy to get mad at Ted Sarandos or David Zaslav or Bob Iger, but they get paid so much because their only job is to make rich people richer.

The WGA and SAG-AFTRA aren't fighting against rich CEOs. They're fighting against an entire system incentivized to exploit workers.
A-list actors get paid so much because they're worth it. Someone has done the math.

You don't have a poster of Bob Iger hanging up in your room. You don't binge watch a show with David Zaslav. You don't go to Comic Con to meet faceless billionaires.

You pay to see stars.
Not to mention that, in reality, 87% of SAG-AFTRA union members don't quality for health insurance.

How much do they have to make to qualify? $26,000 a year.

These are working class people, just like you.
The wealthiest 1% hold 53% of ALL stocks. The top 10% hold 88.6% of ALL stocks.

Every dollar these media companies don't give to a writer or actor, they hand to millionaires and billionaires.

When you say actors and writers are spoiled, you're on the wrong side of history