Writers and Actors 2023 Strikes

to accompany this post.

also, the thing where they were body scanning background actors for $100 bucks to use in perpetuity, completely fucked.

this is the same shit we get about any sports players demanding more money. people are always fuck the guy doing the work asking for more money that's making the billionaires money, so fucking dumb.

The AI thing is pretty damn fucked up. Theoretically with the way its written, they could scan a background actor for a movie. Then say that actor hits it big down the road. Well that studio still owns his likeness and could insert his image into anything they wanted whether he physically starred in it or not and wouldn't owe him a dime.

The AI thing is pretty damn fucked up. Theoretically with the way its written, they could scan a background actor for a movie. Then say that actor hits it big down the road. Well that studio still owns his likeness and could insert his image into anything they wanted whether he physically starred in it or not and wouldn't owe him a dime.
It's essentially the fist episode of this past Black Mirror season, only the actor got paid $100 for it.

Who are you referring to as overpaid? There's like 100,000+ people in SAG. Of that, the A-list stars make up a tiny number of that. The A-list stars get a lot of money, but that's not what's driving the strike (though A listers are supporting it). It's more about the working actors and on down the line. These people aren't getting paid much of anything relative to what the shows earn. Not just some rando background actor either. People you'd recognize. It's a misnomer that because you're famous on a TV show or movie that you're rich. And beyond that, one of the bigger sticking points of the strike (both of them) is how the studios aren't being forthcoming about streaming numbers, which affects pay. TLDR of that specific issue is the streamers are lying about view count so they don't have to pay out the actors/writers their residuals that are due to them. The best way people can look at this is think of your current employer and the a salary you are making. What if you found out your employer is keeping 1000s of dollars that you are actually entitled to? But it wasn't just your employer, but your industry so its not like you could quit that job and go work the same role in another company. That's basically what's going on in the WGA and SAG strikes (among other issues such as AI mentioned above)
Well then it's good right? Like I said, crash the motherfucker and start anew.

I was more referring to anyone whining about their favorite dumb show being delayed or what have you.

It's essentially the fist episode of this past Black Mirror season, only the actor got paid $100 for it.

It's so over the top that I'm more inclined that its a negotiating tactic. Like one of those deals they don't really intend to follow thru with but when a deal is struck, they can point to and say "see, we took stuff off the table". Though I do think that most studios would likely get to a point where they could just CGI background actors into the shots like its random character models from a video game. The owning their likeness forever part just seems nuts.

Good. Boo Radley fucking Hoo.

Jesus fucking Christ, get a fucking grip. They are vastly overpaid, and so are their fucking employers.

I hope the whole shitbang crashes and fucking burns.

Maybe then, we can actually get some good movies again.
So you're ok with AI taking everyone's jobs?

Well then it's good right? Like I said, crash the motherfucker and start anew.

I was more referring to anyone whining about their favorite dumb show being delayed or what have you.
So you're anti labor, and pro billionaires? Who are you?

Don't let the door knob hit you where the dog should have bit you!!! Fvck Hollywood

*falls to knees and weeps*
Wrestlemania Vii Crying GIF by WWE

Doesn't matter until SAG-AFTRA resolves its own strike. And ~1000 rich assholes are more than willing to hold the entire industry hostage (lower tier actors, makeup artists, production techs, whatever the hell "best boys" are, etc.), until they ensure their revenue stream continues.

Since any resolution to that strike will inevitable involve a 50% overnight hike to streaming service costs, it's tough to see how this will be supported by the public.

I want to see the comparison between the last offer pre-strike and what they settled on. I can't imagine it was the studios that folded.