You Know What Would Be Cool? (Apple Content)

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 500.00
If Apple ran Mac OS on iPads. Started considering upgrading to the new iPad Air when it drops, almost fell for their marketing with the M1 chip in the updated model, but then came to my senses… Why? Why the fuck make these way overpowered tablets if you’re going to limit them with phone apps, or even glorified phone apps?

What the fuck… Now I’m annoyed. Microsoft has their tablet running full blown widows for years, now Apple doesn’t want to unleash the potential of putting their latest best hardware in their tablets? What’s the matter with them?…

I mean, I know how time works… by why delete it? Would it not be cool to not be limited to glorified iOS on devices that could do way more?

If you'd like the know the difference between a phone, a tablet and a laptop as well as between iOS, iPadOS and MacOS, please use Google.
So there shouldn’t be any desire for it to be more, when it’s more than capable of being more, because Google definitions?

Again, good talk.

So there shouldn’t be any desire for it to be more, when it’s more than capable of being more, because Google definitions?

Again, good talk.
Confused Thinking GIF by MOODMAN

If Apple ran Mac OS on iPads. Started considering upgrading to the new iPad Air when it drops, almost fell for their marketing with the M1 chip in the updated model, but then came to my senses… Why? Why the fuck make these way overpowered tablets if you’re going to limit them with phone apps, or even glorified phone apps?

What the fuck… Now I’m annoyed. Microsoft has their tablet running full blown widows for years, now Apple doesn’t want to unleash the potential of putting their latest best hardware in their tablets? What’s the matter with them?…

I'm not expert.. But im assuming the amount of RAM to run that O/S is more than the iPad could handle

<insert> @HammerDown making fun of me here

So the iPad isn't for you, get a Mac. The reason they do it this way is to offer options instead of just form factors. Microsoft sells you the same shit but different sized forms, why?

Curious what macOS apps you would want to see on the iPad. Not being a jerk here. There are exactly zero apps I run on my MacBook that I can't get on my iPad or iPhone. If you are wanting to run iOS apps on your Mac, then run a simple emulator. :noidea:

I'm not expert.. But im assuming the amount of RAM to run that O/S is more than the iPad could handle

<insert> @HammerDown making fun of me here
Incorrect. The air was running 4 gigs of ram, believe it will now be 8 with the M1, the pro models go up to 16.

It’s in no way a hardware issue.

Last edited:
So the iPad isn't for you, get a Mac. The reason they do it this way is to offer options instead of just form factors. Microsoft sells you the same shit but different sized forms, why?
The iPad is absolutely for me, that’s why I’d like to have more options now that they’re machines that could handle desktop software. I understand all the reasons you could throw out for why they’re not and probably never will go in that direction. But I personally think it’d be great to do anything on an iPad.

They’re already pushing them as laptop alternatives with thunderbolt ports and keyboard/trackpad accessories. It doesn’t have to be macOS, but at least show some movement toward setting iPadOS apart from iOS.
Curious what macOS apps you would want to see on the iPad. Not being a jerk here. There are exactly zero apps I run on my MacBook that I can't get on my iPad or iPhone. If you are wanting to run iOS apps on your Mac, then run a simple emulator. :noidea:
Just take the apple apps, for example. GarageBand… its Mac version is solid if you have reasonable expectations for a free (or at least included in the cost of apple) daw. But the mobile version is even more limited, which makes a lot of sense for a phone screen, but not really any sense for an iPad, especially one that could more than handle it.

Then piggybacking off of that, logic, which is a legit DAW (the pro version of GarageBand, basically), why not have that available?

So, I get those are more niche things that most people aren’t gonna care about, on an iPad or Mac, but it’s weird to me there isn’t any sign of movement toward those kinds of options and improvements. Especially with how Apple loves marketing to creative types. Logic on the iPad would be huge, and why not at this point, we’re at least a couple years into it no longer having anything to do with performance capabilities.

Last edited:

This is cool, and should help with getting the benefits of both Mac and iPad. Still say it’d be ideal to at least make iPadOS stand on its own as a functional laptop replacement. Still don’t see the appeal of putting desktop capable hardware in iPads if you’re not gonna pair it with stuff that can really take advantage of it. And I still can’t get my head around the pushback in the replies here. I’m clearly not the only one who would like to have more than a slightly upgraded take on a mobile OS on an iPad.

How fast are Ipads? My experience with tablets are the HD Kindle Fires and some junk Samsung A tab. They are both pooptown in terms of speed and the displays are pretty meh. I'm not looking to do much with them in terms of performance, but I don't want the thing chugging while surfing the internet or watching a movie. Do Ipads suffer from slowdown at all?

The regular ones. Not the Air Pro Max shit.

How fast are Ipads? My experience with tablets are the HD Kindle Fires and some junk Samsung A tab. They are both pooptown in terms of speed and the displays are pretty meh. I'm not looking to do much with them in terms of performance, but I don't want the thing chugging while surfing the internet or watching a movie. Do Ipads suffer from slowdown at all?

The regular ones. Not the Air Pro Max shit.
Current iPads are fantastic. The mid tier Air now has the m1 chip (like the pro variants), which is Apple’s new (a couple years old now) system/graphics processor they’re using in their laptops and desktops. They have way more power than they know what to do with, which was my point in this thread.

I don’t know about the base iPad, it’s intentionally dated with an old design and hardware to keep the price low as an entry iPad. I haven’t used one of the current generation of those, but I haven’t heard or read anything bad about them, I’m sure they’re perfectly capable if you don’t want the overkill versions for something specific.

edit to add: I have a newer kindle fire, which is the second one I’ve ever had, and yes, they’re garbage. I got it knowing it’s garbage just to have something I could keep connected to a Bluetooth receiver to stream music on my stereo and not have to hassle with connecting/disconnecting my shit from it. Comparing any iPad to a $40 kindle isn’t really fair on any level, but yes, it can’t be stated how night and day they are regarding performance.

Last edited:

“your next computer is not a computer” :lol:

Unless you don’t want to throw it at a wall when you need to manage files, or really do anything other than consume media, send emails, or something related to graphic design.

But that’s all fine because iPadOS is different than macOS, and tablets are different than laptops, so they’re just joking when when they market them like this. Or something.