12 Team CFP Playoff

i kinda hate the deal that if let's say Kansas wins the Big 12 with an 8-4 record, they would be seated higher with a bye over a 2 loss team that finished 2nd in their conference..

But it is what it is.. if you can't make the top 4.. that 5th spot is going to be crucial

So am I reading this right -- ND basically can't get higher than 6th seed in the CFB playoff since it's the top 5 ranked college teams, and then the 7 best after? So even if ND is #1 in the country, they would get the 6th spot?

So am I reading this right -- ND basically can't get higher than 6th seed in the CFB playoff since it's the top 5 ranked college teams, and then the 7 best after? So even if ND is #1 in the country, they would get the 6th spot?

The 5th highest conference champion is guaranteed a spot but I'm not sure if it's always the 5th seed so technically ND could get the 5th seed

i kinda hate the deal that if let's say Kansas wins the Big 12 with an 8-4 record, they would be seated higher with a bye over a 2 loss team that finished 2nd in their conference..

But it is what it is.. if you can't make the top 4.. that 5th spot is going to be crucial
this is an unlikely scenario.

1. Show me a year there was an 8-4 conference champ
2. if they were 8-4 they would probably fall behind 4 other champions and therefore would not have a bye.
3. they would likely be sitting in the 12 seed and make they playoff (provided 2 G5 champs werent higher) over some 2 loss teams but no 2 loss conference runner up has ever not been in the top 12 (at least not that i could see)

this is an unsubstantiated fear

As it sits now, as long as they don't join a conference, they cannot.
Soooooo rankings and seedings are not connected. At least as far as ND is concerned. Their CFP ranking doesn't matter one damn bit. If they're ranked #1 all year and finish undefeated, they'd still be a 5th seed.

Soooooo rankings and seedings are not connected. At least as far as ND is concerned. Their CFP ranking doesn't matter one damn bit. If they're ranked #1 all year and finish undefeated, they'd still be a 5th seed.

Yes it has a little bit of NFL model in it that way. A team that goes 9-8 or 8-9 but wins their division gets a higher seed than an 11 or 12 win team bc they didn't

this is an unlikely scenario.

1. Show me a year there was an 8-4 conference champ
2. if they were 8-4 they would probably fall behind 4 other champions and therefore would not have a bye.
3. they would likely be sitting in the 12 seed and make they playoff (provided 2 G5 champs werent higher) over some 2 loss teams but no 2 loss conference runner up has ever not been in the top 12 (at least not that i could see)

this is an unsubstantiated fear

It's not unsubstantiated but it would take wild things to happen. The only one I can think of off the top of my head was Wisconsin winning the B10 when Ohio State and Penn State were on postseason bans.

Wisconsin was 7-5 that season

So basically, ND can never get a top 4 bye?
This is correct, and they were on the committee that decided this. They can't get a bye, but could be ranked 5th.

To follow through on this, the 5th ranked conference champ that gets an auto-bid will likely be the 12th seed in most years.

Last year, UGA would have been the 5 seed and played Liberty. We would have them played the 4 seed, Bama.

This is correct, and they were on the committee that decided this. They can't get a bye, but could be ranked 5th.

To follow through on this, the 5th ranked conference champ that gets an auto-bid will likely be the 12th seed in most years.

Last year, UGA would have been the 5 seed and played Liberty. We would have them played the 4 seed, Bama.
This is a pretty significant disadvantage in the new world order that they're willing to deal with to maintain their independence, bet that changes the first time ND is in the final top 4 and still doesn't get a bye.

Please delete

Last edited:
Yes, and no. Then there are two categories - AQs, and non-AQs. The rankings are applied to the top 4 ranked AQs, they are seeded 1-4 based on rankings. Then rankings are applied to 5th AQ and the 7 non-AQs and they are seeded accordingly.

It's not unsubstantiated but it would take wild things to happen. The only one I can think of off the top of my head was Wisconsin winning the B10 when Ohio State and Penn State were on postseason bans.

They were also in Divisions where they didn't take the top two for the CCG like they will now.

This is a pretty significant disadvantage in the new world order that they're willing to deal with to maintain their independence, bet that changes the first time ND is in the final top 4 and still doesn't get a bye.

Brett mcmurphy makes sense.

and in that instance they would not have made the 12 team playoff.
Alabama, Stanford, Kansas State, Florida State would have had top 4 and the 5th highest ranked champ would have come from the MAC. even if you want to argue no more Pac Big East, MW, WAC all had higher ranked champs than Wisconsin.

Last edited: