12 Team CFP Playoff

ND is basically treated like a G5 school now.
they don't care cause the 5th seed isn't a bad seed to begin with.. plus they can still manipulate their schedule in order to make sure they have an easier path than if they were in the BiG or SEC

they don't care cause the 5th seed isn't a bad seed to begin with.. plus they can still manipulate their schedule in order to make sure they have an easier path than if they were in the BiG or SEC

Yep, and like it's been mentioned, them having to play that extra game is no different than a team having to play in their conference championship game.

Heck, as the 5th seed, they would be playing in South Bend, whereas the conference champ had to play at a neutral field

Brett mcmurphy makes sense.

While ND may not have to play a conference “grind” per se, their sos is often as good or better than many. But, they avoid the burden of a ccg by their own choosing. They shouldn’t get a break for not having to do such…but neither should others imo. Playing the extra game in the form of a CCG should count for something…or even count against for those that don’t have to play in one.

While ND may not have to play a conference “grind” per se, their sos is often as good or better than many. But, they avoid the burden of a ccg by their own choosing. They shouldn’t get a break for not having to do such…but neither should others imo. Playing the extra game in the form of a CCG should count for something…or even count against for those that don’t have to play in one.
True... It was a matter of time, tho. They made their bed, they gonna have to lie in it finally! :heh:

leprechauanangry01-ani.gif

They won’t get a bye but you know what the #5 team would get? A home game against the dregs of the playoff. Not bad for the 13th game y’all bitch about.

They won’t get a bye but you know what the #5 team would get? A home game against the dregs of the playoff. Not bad for the 13th game y’all bitch about.
I'm wondering how those home games are going to work for the home team -- specifically, if they're going to just sell it like a bowl game in terms of tickets? IE, will they offer 50% of the tickets to Michigan stadium to the opposite team?

I'm wondering how those home games are going to work for the home team -- specifically, if they're going to just sell it like a bowl game in terms of tickets? IE, will they offer 50% of the tickets to Michigan stadium to the opposite team?
Follow up question, would the officiating crew be neutral? Usually the visiting team’s conference officials handle the game.

#12 is far from a guarantee for most teams outside of the top 4.

#12 is far from a guarantee for most teams outside of the top 4.
That makes little sense if the premise is the only reason ND is #5 because it’s not in a conference. If they would otherwise be #1 then I guess you’re agreeing it would be more of a guarantee.

ND has no one to blame but themselves

They could've joined a conference at any point

You want to keep playing as an independent that's cool but you don't get to do that AND also get treated like a conference champ

It is what it is and i feel no empathy at all for them

That makes little sense if the premise is the only reason ND is #5 because it’s not in a conference. If they would otherwise be #1 then I guess you’re agreeing it would be more of a guarantee.
I'm saying #12 is far from a guaranteed win.

Nothing is guaranteed and I guess it would depend on the year. A team backing into the #12 spot might not have much of a chance.

But you did qualify it as anyone other than the top 4, which because they automatically get a top 4 seed solely by being the conference champion does not mean that #12 team is a guaranteed win either.

We saw this in the BCS era when people would bitch about ND’s supposed favored status meanwhile you get 9-4 conference champs getting auto bids.

Nothing is guaranteed and I guess it would depend on the year. A team backing into the #12 spot might not have much of a chance.

But you did qualify it as anyone other than the top 4, which because they automatically get a top 4 seed solely by being the conference champion does not mean that #12 team is a guaranteed win either.

We saw this in the BCS era when people would bitch about ND’s supposed favored status meanwhile you get 9-4 conference champs getting auto bids.
I mean over the years we saw things like Boise beat Oklahoma Houston beat FSU Utah beat Alabama
in the first year of the CFP and NY6
G5 20 beat 10
12 beat 7
8 beat 5
4 beat 1 and 2
it kept going
year 2 G518 beat 9
year 3 11 beat 6
9 beat 5
2017 G5 12 beat 7
2018 10 beat 7
11 beat 8
15 beat 5

I was moreso referring to your comment about the "dregs of the playoff". In most years, #12 can definitely compete with #5.

I mean over the years we saw things like Boise beat Oklahoma Houston beat FSU Utah beat Alabama
in the first year of the CFP and NY6
G5 20 beat 10
12 beat 7
8 beat 5
4 beat 1 and 2
it kept going
year 2 G518 beat 9
year 3 11 beat 6
9 beat 5
2017 G5 12 beat 7
2018 10 beat 7
11 beat 8
15 beat 5
This is a validation of the 12 team play off where 5 v. 12, 6 v 11, 7 v. 10, and 8 v 9 instead of 1 v 16, 2 v. 15, etc. In the CFP-12 model we are likely to have more competitive games because the most competitive teams aren't playing and things like the above can happen from time to time. That said, with the G5 getting an AQ, the no. 5 seed will be like a 1 v. 16 in March Madness. Should never lose.

First, I am fine with what ND gets in all this. That said, their path is easier than other top teams.

Top SEC or B1G team:

- CCG against another top 5/6 team
- Bye
- Play the 5-8 seeded team.

ND when a top 4 team

- Bye
- Plays the no. 12 team, a G5 team
- Plays the no. 4 seed

ND has it easier. But again, I am cool with that. They will still have to win 4 CFP games every year.

This is correct, and they were on the committee that decided this. They can't get a bye, but could be ranked 5th.

To follow through on this, the 5th ranked conference champ that gets an auto-bid will likely be the 12th seed in most years.

Last year, UGA would have been the 5 seed and played Liberty. We would have them played the 4 seed, Bama.
Interesting. So instead of Bama facing UGA in rd 2, they would get the winner of #5 Liberty v #12. If that's the case, the #4 seed in most cases will have the most favorable matchup in rd 2.

First, I am fine with what ND gets in all this. That said, their path is easier than other top teams.

Top SEC or B1G team:

- CCG against another top 5/6 team
- Bye
- Play the 5-8 seeded team.

ND when a top 4 team

- Bye
- Plays the no. 12 team, a G5 team
- Plays the no. 4 seed

ND has it easier. But again, I am cool with that. They will still have to win 4 CFP games every year.
That assumes the ccg will be against a 5/6 team. That will not always be the case and often times it’s not.