12 Team CFP Playoff

I was moreso referring to your comment about the "dregs of the playoff". In most years, #12 can definitely compete with #5.
Understood but the ND discussion was even if they were hands down the best team at the end of the year they hey could still do no better than #5. In that scenario I would like their odds against #12. Not because a five seed would be a have it easy over a 12 seed but a team that was forced to be a five seed and would be higher but for the rules should have an easier time against a #12.

That assumes the ccg will be against a 5/6 team. That will not always be the case and often times it’s not.
It mostly will now that all the P4 are divisionless. Regardless, they have to play an extra game you don't have to play, while you are sitting at home resting and prepping for the first game. It's mostly a push in my mind, with an advantage to you for not having to play a high end CCG.

Interesting. So instead of Bama facing UGA in rd 2, they would get the winner of #5 Liberty v #12. If that's the case, the #4 seed in most cases will have the most favorable matchup in rd 2.
No, Liberty would be #12. The seeding is not connected to the 5th AQ. The 5th AQ gets seeded according to the rankings.

UGA would have been 5 and would have played 12 Liberty. 4 Bama would have gotten the winner of that game, presumably UGA.

The no. 4 seed will often be an ACC or B12 team, likely getting the 2nd best SEC or B1G team.

Another thing not discussed is re-seeding. If no. 12 were to knock off no. 5, then no. 4 gets no. 12 while no. 1 plays no. 8 or 9. I like the idea of reseeding, but other than the NFL, no other league reseeds.

It mostly will now that all the P4 are divisionless. Regardless, they have to play an extra game you don't have to play, while you are sitting at home resting and prepping for the first game. It's mostly a push in my mind, with an advantage to you for not having to play a high end CCG.
Oh I agree. At worst they have to play a 13th game just like everyone else, but if they’re #5 then it’s a favorable matchup with home field advantage, no @Across The Field that doesn’t mean guaranteed, just favorable.

Which is probably why ND’s athletic director supports this.

Oh I agree. At worst they have to play a 13th game just like everyone else, but if they’re #5 then it’s a favorable matchup with home field advantage, no @Across The Field that doesn’t mean guaranteed, just favorable.

Which is probably why ND’s athletic director supports this.
Other than the top 4 AQs, you have a definite advantage compared to any of the teams that played in a CCG. UGA last year would have had to play 17 games in a CFP-12. You will never have to play more than 16.

That said, with the G5 getting an AQ, the no. 5 seed will be like a 1 v. 16 in March Madness. Should never lose.

That is not accurate. The 5 highest ranked champions get an auto.
that does not mean that only 1 G5 can get in. that does not mean they will always be the 12 spot.
21 would have been 1. Bama 2. Michigan 3. Cinci 4 Baylor 5 Utah and Pitt would have been in at 12 as an at large.
i know the conferences have changed a lot and maybe that changes how rankings go but 2010 would have seen
1. Auburn 2. Oregon 3. TCU(MW) 4. Wisconsin 7. Oklahoma but also in the top 12 was #10 Boise
the field would have been those top 4 then
5. Stanford 6 Ohio State 7. Oklahoma 8 Arkansas 9. Michigan State 10. Boise 11. LSU 12. Missouri

Understood but the ND discussion was even if they were hands down the best team at the end of the year they hey could still do no better than #5. In that scenario I would like their odds against #12. Not because a five seed would be a have it easy over a 12 seed but a team that was forced to be a five seed and would be higher but for the rules should have an easier time against a #12.
Well thankfully we won't have to worry about that happening

That is not accurate. The 5 highest ranked champions get an auto.
that does not mean that only 1 G5 can get in. that does not mean they will always be the 12 spot.
21 would have been 1. Bama 2. Michigan 3. Cinci 4 Baylor 5 Utah and Pitt would have been in at 12 as an at large.
i know the conferences have changed a lot and maybe that changes how rankings go but 2010 would have seen
1. Auburn 2. Oregon 3. TCU(MW) 4. Wisconsin 7. Oklahoma but also in the top 12 was #10 Boise
the field would have been those top 4 then
5. Stanford 6 Ohio State 7. Oklahoma 8 Arkansas 9. Michigan State 10. Boise 11. LSU 12. Missouri
I understand the rules. I am not being pedantic. 99% of the time there will be 1 G5 team, and that team will be seeded 12th. Now, in discussions about the CFP-12 if you want to put a disclaimer that there could be more than 1 G5 team, and they could be seeded other than 12th, carry on. I'll just stick to the reality of what will happen 99% of the time. This is especially true now that most good G5 teams have moved up to P4.

I understand the rules. I am not being pedantic. 99% of the time there will be 1 G5 team, and that team will be seeded 12th. Now, in discussions about the CFP-12 if you want to put a disclaimer that there could be more than 1 G5 team, and they could be seeded other than 12th, carry on. I'll just stick to the reality of what will happen 99% of the time. This is especially true now that most good G5 teams have moved up to P4.
i agree that majority of the time thats how it will be. im not saying it wont. just that there is a possibility it could happen so that if it does people arent surprised. (most still will be)

This is a pretty significant disadvantage in the new world order that they're willing to deal with to maintain their independence, bet that changes the first time ND is in the final top 4 and still doesn't get a bye.

Not really. Dont think they will mind when they end the season with Stanford and then siit at home on championship weekend where teams in the B1G are playing Oregon, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, etc possibly for a second time and teams in the SEC are playing Bama, Georgia, LSU, etc. to try to earn that bye.

The conference championships for the four teams that are getting byes are basically the extra game ND will have to play

While ND may not have to play a conference “grind” per se, their sos is often as good or better than many. But, they avoid the burden of a ccg by their own choosing. They shouldn’t get a break for not having to do such…but neither should others imo. Playing the extra game in the form of a CCG should count for something…or even count against for those that don’t have to play in one.
Yeah but they don’t play an extra conference championship game so basically they at evening up the amount games that have to be played.

Having one less game is a big advantage on body wear and tear so it’s fair.

There's a real decent shot at a g5 champ ranked above 12 if not above the bigxii champ

Yeah but they don’t play an extra conference championship game so basically they at evening up the amount games that have to be played.

Having one less game is a big advantage on body wear and tear so it’s fair.
How about conference teams that don’t play in a CCG? Should they get in?

There's a real decent shot at a g5 champ ranked above 12 if not above the bigxii champ
Can you point to the G5 that was last ranked higher than 12? I can think of Cincy, but they are P4 now. I just don't see it. Liberty was undefeated and they were 18th, or something like that.

How about conference teams that don’t play in a CCG? Should they get in?
If you’re asking for an opinion think the top 12 ranked teams get in and seeded accordingly but evidently no one is that smart.