Poll 2 throws from 40 or 1 from 24?

2 throws from 40 or 1 from 24?

• Two throws from the 40

• One throw from the 24

Results are only viewable after voting.
In response to the OP, give me two shots at the end zone from 40, particularly since the one shot from 24 only happens if everything goes right.
take one from the 24 if they are endzone throws.
you most likely don't get to throw the 2nd throw from the 40. it will either be intercepted or TD on the 1st. Defenders wont be trying to knock the 1st one down. They will go for the pick which is pretty likely on Hail Mary's. Even if you get two Hail Mary passes. The likelihood of success is minute.
Now from the 40 you throw a pass to get closer to the endzone, then throw for endzone. I would be a fan of.
From the 24 you can run a play that isnt Hail Maryish.

In response to the OP, give me two shots at the end zone from 40, particularly since the one shot from 24 only happens if everything goes right.
This is the only answer.

The way SF had been playing defense on the previous 3 or 4 plays, they were leaving the sidelines open and Dak completed several passes. Finally, SF defense played the sidelines, leaving the middle open. At that point, they should have been heaving to the end zone.

IF you had the time: 1. to get to the 24 and, 2. run a play from there.

With 14 seconds left there is no other logical choice than to throw to the end zone at least once.
Correct, there just wasn't enough time to complete two passes in 14 seconds with no time outs.

Correct, there just wasn't enough time to complete two passes in 14 seconds with no time outs.
this makes zero sense. You can complete passes with 5 seconds left & no time outs. they just have to get out of bounds.
BTW if the Cowboys react differently after the last play. They could have made up that one second to stop clock. They just royally fucked up after the play. So to say there wasnt enough time would also be false. They just had to execute properly. (which they didnt)

IF you had the time: 1. to get to the 24 and, 2. run a play from there.

With 14 seconds left there is no other logical choice than to throw to the end zone at least once.
I am just answering the question from the poll.
A. 2 shots from the 40
or
B. One shot from the 24.

between those two choices give me the 1 from the 24.

this makes zero sense. You can complete passes with 5 seconds left & no time outs. they just have to get out of bounds.
BTW if the Cowboys react differently after the last play. They could have made up that one second to stop clock. They just royally fucked up after the play. So to say there wasnt enough time would also be false. They just had to execute properly. (which they didnt)
But that's the rub: SF was playing the sidelines on that last play, any pass completed would have been in the middle, and they would had the same problem with coming to the line and getting set. On several plays prior, SF was playing the middle and leaving the sidelines open, and Dak completed 3 or 4 straight passes where the receivers got out of bounds. But then the Niners defense wised up and took away the sidelines.

But that's the rub: SF was playing the sidelines on that last play, any pass completed would have been in the middle, and they would had the same problem with coming to the line and getting set. On several plays prior, SF was playing the middle and leaving the sidelines open, and Dak completed 3 or 4 straight passes where the receivers got out of bounds. But then the Niners defense wised up and took away the sidelines.
in this scenario. Defense always play the out of bounds. Offenses still complete passes & get out of bounds. Also with 14 seconds left. if the 1st time trying to gain yards to get closer isnt there. throw it away & try again. Worst case you fail at this twice, & on the 3rd play do your One hail mary from the 40.

The idea of doing two hail mary's from the 40 is crazy.

The idea of doing two hail mary's from the 40 is crazy.
Maybe, but I still think they would have had a hard time snapping two plays with only 14 seconds left. What we DO know is that what they tried didn't work

Maybe, but I still think they would have had a hard time snapping two plays with only 14 seconds left. What we DO know is that what they tried didn't work
Image result for this is true gif

I think I'd rather have the 1 chance from the 24. But like others have said, Dallas's choices were 2 shots from the 40 or zero shots from the 24.

Too bad for Dallas that they didn't have enough time for the option they chose. It still might have worked but Dak ran too far/long, didn't hand the ball to the official, and didn't even give the official a clear path to the ball--I saw someone (PFT?) say that the Cowboys could've told the official what they were going to do prior to the play so he'd stay closer to the action, etc.

Grop and the Niner ST units tried like hell to give Dallas the game and it all it took was some poor clock management.

Last edited:
I think I'd rather have the 1 chance from the 24. But like others have said, Dallas's choices were 2 shots from the 40 or zero shots from the 24.

Too bad for Dallas that they didn't have enough time for the option they chose. It still might have worked but Dak ran too far/long, didn't hand the ball to the official, and didn't even give the official a clear path to the ball--I saw someone (PFT?) say that the Cowboys could've told the official what they were going to do prior to the play so he'd stay closer to the action, etc.

Grop and the Niner ST units tried like hell to give Dallas the game and it all it took was some poor clock management.
Game could have been a blowout but San Fran stepped on their own deeks way too many times. Fortunately for them Dallas tripped over their own balls more