2020 season thread

Stage 2 ends with Austin Cindric in the lead. Justin Allgaier is p2 and Chase Briscoe p3 while Justin Haley is p7. 1 stage remains.

Austin Cindric wins at Phoenix and is your Sportsman Champion.

Unlike Moffitt last night, Cindric pit for fresh tires when the caution came out with 3 to go and that's the difference maker.

Congrats to Cindric. Cindric and Briscoe are the only two Fords in the entire Busch lineup, and they flat out dominated the season

was rooting for Briscoe on this one, but the best guy won, so no complaints.
Algaier was professional about losing.

No shenanigans from Gragson when I really thought the 2 were gonna gang up & do something to the 22, there for a minute.

Joey Logano leads after 1 stage. The Final 4 are all in the Top 4, including Elliott who had to start in the back after failing prerace inspection.

I do wish that Phoenix had moved the stripe to just past the dog leg instead of just before it.

Looks like no one will pass a leader in this race, unless they were way better.
Got it fix these packages.

One thing I hate about these Championship races is everyone just gets out of the fucking way and lets the Championship 4 run up front. FUCKING RACE LIKE A NORMAL RACE!!!

No way Elliot should have went from 35 to 10 in 30 laps

Brad Keselowski edges ahead of Chase Elliott as Stage 2 closes. 1 stage left in the season.

One thing I hate about these Championship races is everyone just gets out of the fucking way and lets the Championship 4 run up front. FUCKING RACE LIKE A NORMAL RACE!!!

No way Elliot should have went from 35 to 10 in 30 laps
I hate everything about the Chase/Playoffs.

16 drivers in, so the first 26 races don't matter unless you're just having a terrible year. A lot of mediocrity gets rewarded, and if you win a plate track and run 25th every other race, you make the playoffs.

I like the way points are handed out minus stages, but the 1 point for last with one point per position with a 5 point bonus for the winner is easier to keep up with than the old system, but give a bonus point for leading a lap and another for leading the most laps, and do like they used to and accumulate points throughout the season and whoever has the most points after 36 races is the champion, but that's not gimmicky enough.

For someone who hasn't really watched NASCAR the last 10 years, I have to say that this idea of 4 drivers driving for the championship sucks.

The truck race Friday night was boring until the last restart.
The Busch race yesterday was boring. I don't know about the last restart because I lost my cable just as they started the last one.
The Cup race today has been a snooze fest.

All 3 races had the final 4 get into the front four and play follow the leader for the most part with all other cars just turning laps and afraid to race any of the main 4. Phoenix has always been a good track and NASCAR just took a 3 race weekend and ruined the whole weekend.

Chase Elliott, whose car failed prerace inspection twice, passes through the field easily, takes the lead, pulls away, wins at Phoenix, and is NASCAR's Cup Champion. Barring postrace inspection issues of course, which I doubt he'll have to worry about.

I think NASCAR gives the non final 4 drivers a stern warning about mixing it up with the finals 4 drivers. It's just so unrealistic to me that the final 4 finish 1-2-3-4 in the race, and even more unrealistic that in the 7 years of the playoffs, the champion won the final race every single time. I'd like for one year all 4 drivers get caught up in a wreck on lap one and the championship comes down to who can get their car fixed enough to beat the damage clock and limp around the rest of the race.

But it was either last year or the year before when Matt Crafton won the truck championship despite winning zero races during the season. NASCAR probably wanted to make sure that never happened in any series again(it happened in the Busch Series a couple times, but that was when Cup drivers could run as many Busch races as they wanted, but couldn't accumulate points, so Kyle Busch, Kevin Harvick, Brad Keselowski and Carl Edwards were winning pretty much every Busch race).

Fun fact, under the old Winston Cup points, no driver ever won the title with 0 wins.

Think 17 wins is the record for wins in a season with no championship, Bobby Isaac missed a bunch of races in 1969.

NASCAR and other racing entities may need to adjust things to where failing prerace inspection means you don't get to race. Otherwise, getting to race after that and winning will only lead to less faith from everyone, but fans of the winner.

Think 17 wins is the record for wins in a season with no championship, Bobby Isaac missed a bunch of races in 1969.

Yeah, shit was different back then. It's like how David Pearson might have had over 200 wins had racing been more of a full-time gig for him.

Yeah, shit was different back then. It's like how David Pearson might have had over 200 wins had racing been more of a full-time gig for him.
David Pearson won a far higher percentage of his races than Richard Petty and won the title in pretty much every season he ran close to a full season. During the 70's with the Wood Brothers, he was pretty much only running big tracks, road courses and Martinsville. Elliott Sadler has the Wood Brothers only win at Bristol, which just seems crazy.

I think NASCAR gives the non final 4 drivers a stern warning about mixing it up with the finals 4 drivers. It's just so unrealistic to me that the final 4 finish 1-2-3-4 in the race, and even more unrealistic that in the 7 years of the playoffs, the champion won the final race every single time. I'd like for one year all 4 drivers get caught up in a wreck on lap one and the championship comes down to who can get their car fixed enough to beat the damage clock and limp around the rest of the race.

It seems rigged that the four drivers ran first through forth all race, and Happy who has dominated this track can’t run up front. Something stinks, and it’s not race fuel

Oh and congrats to Chase

Fun fact, under the old Winston Cup points, no driver ever won the title with 0 wins.
Kenseth won it with one win but a substantial lead (if I remember correctly) that scared nascar & created the playoff season (which another fun fact, they told everyone it isnt a playoff system) What happens. Ryan Newman almost won the title with zero wins! if there was one less yellow, it might've happened. LOL
Since the 90's boom era. All of Nascar's decisions have been horrible Looking at cash only instead of the fans loyalty.