2023 season thread

Good for Blaney.

Blaney winning this just proves this new system is a sham. GO BACK TO THE WINSTON CUP DAYS

Blaney winning this just proves this new system is a sham. GO BACK TO THE WINSTON CUP DAYS
Only complete morons even recognize any non season long format NASCAR uses.

Byron is your real 2023 champion, Chase Elliott was the real 2022 champion. I say that as a guy that hates everything about Rick Hendrick as a man and a team owner, and that includes anyone that drives for him

Just look at all the epic championship fights we’ve been robbed of

Just look at all the epic championship fights we’ve been robbed of

It definitely gives a more accurate winner. Not sure "fights" is the right word considering the point margin is out of reach going into the final few races in most of those seasons though. That was the one flaw with that format. It's certainly better than everything they've tried since considering it actually crowns a full season champ, but the way it awards points would often take a lot of the intrigue out of the last month or two of the season. I never understood why they never considered just awarding less points. Like if you didn't give out any in race bonus points, gave like 10 extra points for a win over 2nd place, and did something like no points for DNFs, you end up with tight point races basically every year. I know because crunched the stats one year like around 2010 or 2012 or something. Less points keeps things tighter and you ended up with the championship being decided in the final race like 95% of the time. Only times it wasn't is if a driver had a really dominate season (like winning a ton of races) and even then, it was wrapped up with like 3 to go.

It definitely gives a more accurate winner. Not sure "fights" is the right word considering the point margin is out of reach going into the final few races in most of those seasons though. That was the one flaw with that format. It's certainly better than everything they've tried since considering it actually crowns a full season champ, but the way it awards points would often take a lot of the intrigue out of the last month or two of the season. I never understood why they never considered just awarding less points. Like if you didn't give out any in race bonus points, gave like 10 extra points for a win over 2nd place, and did something like no points for DNFs, you end up with tight point races basically every year. I know because crunched the stats one year like around 2010 or 2012 or something. Less points keeps things tighter and you ended up with the championship being decided in the final race like 95% of the time. Only times it wasn't is if a driver had a really dominate season (like winning a ton of races) and even then, it was wrapped up with like 3 to go.
There’s 8 seasons since the start of the chase era that would have had a realistic shot for another driver to win in the last race, he’ll, this year, Byron would have passed Hamlin at Phoenix to take his first points lead of the season.

But also, dominance should be appreciated. Kevin Harvick’s 2020 is one of the best seasons for a driver this century, but it all gets wiped away because of a stupid format

Game 7’s are special because they happen naturally, forcing a game 7 every year takes all meaning away.

Sometimes a driver is gonna run away with the championship, that doesn’t seem to bother F1 or any other racing series.

I’ll never legitimize any non season long championship format

There’s 8 seasons since the start of the chase era that would have had a realistic shot for another driver to win in the last race, he’ll, this year, Byron would have passed Hamlin at Phoenix to take his first points lead of the season.

But also, dominance should be appreciated. Kevin Harvick’s 2020 is one of the best seasons for a driver this century, but it all gets wiped away because of a stupid format

Game 7’s are special because they happen naturally, forcing a game 7 every year takes all meaning away.

Sometimes a driver is gonna run away with the championship, that doesn’t seem to bother F1 or any other racing series.

I’ll never legitimize any non season long championship format

8? Maybe I'm reading that chart wrong. What's the maximum amount of points you can get in one race?

But even still, my point still stands. 8 or whatever the number is, isn't all that much since 2004. And if its like it was before, most of the time its one of those deals where the points leader basically has to start the race and its over. There's a way (by giving less points) to where you can keep points tighter and still reward a season long winner

8? Maybe I'm reading that chart wrong. What's the maximum amount of points you can get in one race?

But even still, my point still stands. 8 or whatever the number is, isn't all that much since 2004. And if its like it was before, most of the time its one of those deals where the points leader basically has to start the race and its over. There's a way (by giving less points) to where you can keep points tighter and still reward a season long winner
Winston Cup points, you could get over 150 points if you lead the most laps and win.

Some Super Bowls are blowouts too, you can’t appreciate an overtime nail biter if it happens every year. The epic battles have to occur organically or they mean nothing. Dominant performances are a part of sports and should be appreciated

Imagine if Max Verstappen lost the championship this year because he finished second in the last race of the season, it would be a joke, just the same as any non season long points format in motor racing.

I like Ryan Blaney, but calling him the 2023 champion just makes the entire series look bad

Winston Cup points, you could get over 150 points if you lead the most laps and win.

Some Super Bowls are blowouts too, you can’t appreciate an overtime nail biter if it happens every year. The epic battles have to occur organically or they mean nothing. Dominant performances are a part of sports and should be appreciated

Imagine if Max Verstappen lost the championship this year because he finished second in the last race of the season, it would be a joke, just the same as any non season long points format in motor racing.

I like Ryan Blaney, but calling him the 2023 champion just makes the entire series look bad

I get all that. Not disagreeing. But what I'm saying is you can still do a season long format and also have intrigue into the final month(s), which is necessary to keep up revenue from ticket sales and TV. All it requires is adjusting the points pay out. And you can still reward people that dominant a season (like Verstappen or like when Gordon won 10+ races) if adjust the system to weight more for wins considerably more than anything else. I don't have the excel sheet anymore because it was on an old computer, but back when I played around with it, I remember giving 50 pts for a win. 2nd place got 40, and it dropped by 1 for every position after that until like 30th or 35th. You got zero points in those spots (though you still got money and manufacturer/owners points). 10 points over 2nd made it a big reward for actually winning races. And having a points cutoff on the backend of the field rewarded consistency too. So you couldn't have scenario where say you won a bunch but also wrecked a bunch you still came out ok. The results ended up being the vast majority of the time that the best driver won and the championship was still in play at the end of the year at very high rate, sometimes still up for grabs between 3 and 4 drivers, not just 2. The only times it wasn't in play late was a really dominant season like Gordon, which is exactly how it should be. It was literally the best of both world and very simplistic, yet they won't ever try anything like it

I get all that. Not disagreeing. But what I'm saying is you can still do a season long format and also have intrigue into the final month(s), which is necessary to keep up revenue from ticket sales and TV. All it requires is adjusting the points pay out. And you can still reward people that dominant a season (like Verstappen or like when Gordon won 10+ races) if adjust the system to weight more for wins considerably more than anything else. I don't have the excel sheet anymore because it was on an old computer, but back when I played around with it, I remember giving 50 pts for a win. 2nd place got 40, and it dropped by 1 for every position after that until like 30th or 35th. You got zero points in those spots (though you still got money and manufacturer/owners points). 10 points over 2nd made it a big reward for actually winning races. And having a points cutoff on the backend of the field rewarded consistency too. So you couldn't have scenario where say you won a bunch but also wrecked a bunch you still came out ok. The results ended up being the vast majority of the time that the best driver won and the championship was still in play at the end of the year at very high rate, sometimes still up for grabs between 3 and 4 drivers, not just 2. The only times it wasn't in play late was a really dominant season like Gordon, which is exactly how it should be. It was literally the best of both world and very simplistic, yet they won't ever try anything like it
I’m fine with that. They can adopt F1 points for all I care, I just want a season long championship format

I wouldn't mind seeing the schedule divided up into 2 halves and then a best of 4 at the end of the season to determine the champ.

Up to 4 drivers could be eligible for the title:

Total points winner of 32 races
First 16 races total points winner
Second 16 races total points winner
Driver with most wins.

Let those drivers settle it over the last month of the season instead of it going on for almost 3 months.

NASCAR got PAID.

Basically 1.1 bil per year for 7 years. Rights deal split up between Fox, USA/NBC, Warner Bros Discovery and Amazon Prime.

Lot of the older audience probably gonna complain about 5 races being on Prime but whatevs. That's a very good deal for them.

NASCAR got PAID.

Basically 1.1 bil per year for 7 years. Rights deal split up between Fox, USA/NBC, Warner Bros Discovery and Amazon Prime.

Lot of the older audience probably gonna complain about 5 races being on Prime but whatevs. That's a very good deal for them.
I’m not old, but streamed sports sucks. The delay is way too much, and you can’t flip back and forth.

Tonight will be the first Thursday night NFL game I’ve watched all year other than when the Falcons were on regular tv and Thanksgiving since there’s no college to interfere

But that is a great deal for NASCAR

Gragson to the 10.

SHR gonna be down there with RWR without Harvick