2024 Recruiting Thread

There were many things wrong when we played michigan, and Stroud bears some of that responsibility but definitely not that much. Not sure which game navamind was watching but Stroud shredded michigan for the entire first half - 17/25 for nearly 200 yards and 2 TDs. Second half was a different story but he had some good plays and should have had more.

When you prove yourself to be an elite QB, expectations become unrealistic. That's just the nature of the game, and team sports in general.

I wasn't trying to slam Stroud. I thought he played well against Michigan. Michigan just did a good job covering and keeping any short passes from turning into chunk plays. He had to make some really tough throws, same in 2021. I think Stroud's the best passer you guys have had among your recent wave of QBs.

I wasn't trying to slam Stroud. I thought he played well against Michigan. Michigan just did a good job covering and keeping any short passes from turning into chunk plays. He had to make some really tough throws, same in 2021. I think Stroud's the best passer you guys have had among your recent wave of QBs.
This was the difference in the game. By and large you guys did this. We had some nice chunk plays but nothing outrageous. On the other hand, we gave up far too many big plays (obviously). I know Knowles' defense is susceptible to those sometimes, and we still have to fully integrate it, but if it's not up to where it needs to be this November it's gonna be another long day.

Stroud was a phenomenal passer. He doesn't have the Josh Allen cannon, but his touch and accuracy are outstanding. I'm hoping that McCord or Brown can duplicate that same success while also providing some wheels from time to time.

He completed 65% of his passes for 349 yards and 2 TDs. If you watch his first INT, it was his own fault for holding the ball to long, as he had X wide open for a solid 3 seconds near the first down line but he waited until the pocked caved before trying to throw it and got hit so it went right to a michigan defender instead. There was a ton he did that game and a ton more he could've done.
Unless Stroud could also play defense -- he did everything he could to win the game for OSU. OSU didn't lose because of Stroud. They lost because they have been grossly outcoached the last two years and OSU's defense simply cannot stop Michigan. 2 years it ago, UM bullied them up and down the field. This past year -- OSU had zero faith in their defensive front and completely sold out to try and stop the run, giving up big pass play after big pass play. After halftime -- OSU changed it up and UM started running the ball and we saw how that went.

Stroud is the LAST person who should be called out for the losses to UM. OSU's defense and Ryan Day should be the one's getting called out.

I know Knowles' defense is susceptible to those sometimes, and we still have to fully integrate it, but if it's not up to where it needs to be this November it's gonna be another long day.
If I'm OSU I am running fast and far away from Knowles. Michigan had a defensive coordinator who used that exact defense. It is an amazing defense against 99% of the teams. Think back to how many times Michigan had a top 5 defense going into the UM/OSU game only to have OSU hang 60 on us. That was Don Brown's defense, which is almost identical to Knowles concept. You will overwhelm the vast majority of teams, but the teams you truly care about beating are the teams that defense is terrible against.

The issue with that type of defense is -- unless you have an entire secondary of lock down man coverage CB's and Safeties -- you are going to get burned early and often by any team who has any talent at QB, WR or TE.

If I'm OSU I am running fast and far away from Knowles. Michigan had a defensive coordinator who used that exact defense. It is an amazing defense against 99% of the teams. Think back to how many times Michigan had a top 5 defense going into the UM/OSU game only to have OSU hang 60 on us. That was Don Brown's defense, which is almost identical to Knowles concept. You will overwhelm the vast majority of teams, but the teams you truly care about beating are the teams that defense is terrible against.

The issue with that type of defense is -- unless you have an entire secondary of lock down man coverage CB's and Safeties -- you are going to get burned early and often by any team who has any talent at QB, WR or TE.
I mean, it largely worked against michigan. Giving up big plays was always going to be a concern going into last year as they installed his system compared to whatever the system was we ran the previous two seasons and trying to get the current group up to speed. We don't have a group of lock down DBs, but we also didn't even have a group of decent DBs last year due to injury and poor development under our defensive staff the previous two seasons. However the defense looked great against michigan for 57/62 plays they ran. Just have to eliminate the big plays.

I mean, it largely worked against michigan. Giving up big plays was always going to be a concern going into last year as they installed his system compared to whatever the system was we ran the previous two seasons and trying to get the current group up to speed. We don't have a group of lock down DBs, but we also didn't even have a group of decent DBs last year due to injury and poor development under our defensive staff the previous two seasons. However the defense looked great against michigan for 57/62 plays they ran. Just have to eliminate the big plays.
That is EXACTLY what that defense gives up. Big plays. You have zero margin for error, which is why it doesn't work against teams with talent. Michigan had more plays of 20 or more yards against OSU than any other team -- I don't think we had any plays over 50 yards all year and we had 5 against OSU. When OSU played Georgia, on top of the 50+ yard run and 75+ yard pass OSU gave up -- NINE different players on Georgia had plays of 20 or more yards.

The defense will look good on plays where you stop a team, as you are bringing more players than the offense line has players to block.

Trust me -- Michigan ran that SAME defense for 5 or 6 years under Don Brown. We would have one of the top defenses in all of football every year, UNTIL we faced OSU or PSU and they'd absolutely gauge the defense. And the thing that really gives that defense problems is a QB who can extend plays.

That is EXACTLY what that defense gives up. Big plays. You have zero margin for error, which is why it doesn't work against teams with talent. Michigan had more plays of 20 or more yards against OSU than any other team -- I don't think we had any plays over 50 yards all year and we had 5 against OSU. When OSU played Georgia, on top of the 50+ yard run and 75+ yard pass OSU gave up -- NINE different players on Georgia had plays of 20 or more yards.

The defense will look good on plays where you stop a team, as you are bringing more players than the offense line has players to block.

Trust me -- Michigan ran that SAME defense for 5 or 6 years under Don Brown. We would have one of the top defenses in all of football every year, UNTIL we faced OSU or PSU and they'd absolutely gauge the defense. And the thing that really gives that defense problems is a QB who can extend plays.
You make good points, honestly. When I look at the michigan game specifically, though, I blame a lot of it on simply having a terrible group of DBs. OSU has been a factory to the NFL for DBs for over a decade, but we haven't had a first-rounder in 3 years and this year won't change that. Having guys like Okudah, Shaun Wade, Jordan Fuller, Malik Hooker, etc. back there would've changed the michigan game in a huge way, we just need to be able to back to that level of development. We'll see if Knowles can do that. Between 2022 and 2023's classes and the portal, he has plenty of talent to do so.

You make good points, honestly. When I look at the michigan game specifically, though, I blame a lot of it on simply having a terrible group of DBs. OSU has been a factory to the NFL for DBs for over a decade, but we haven't had a first-rounder in 3 years and this year won't change that. Having guys like Okudah, Shaun Wade, Jordan Fuller, Malik Hooker, etc. back there would've changed the michigan game in a huge way, we just need to be able to back to that level of development. We'll see if Knowles can do that. Between 2022 and 2023's classes and the portal, he has plenty of talent to do so.
If OSU continues to run that defense -- I'm telling you, you won't be happy. You will look like world beaters against the vast majority of teams, but once you play the important games -- you will give up a ridiculous amount of big plays.

If OSU continues to run that defense -- I'm telling you, you won't be happy. You will look like world beaters against the vast majority of teams, but once you play the important games -- you will give up a ridiculous amount of big plays.
As long as Day and Hartline keep bringing in the insane type of offensive talent that they are, it may not matter.

As long as Day and Hartline keep bringing in the insane type of offensive talent that they are, it may not matter.
If Lauranaitis does anything close does anything close with the LBs that Hartline has done with the receivers then we need to find a former high profile player to coach DBs too. What's Malcolm Jenkins doing these days?

I still think D wins championships, but as Saban and Smart realized - Smart several years later - is that if you run up against 2019 LSU, 2020 UF and Bama, 2021 Bama, 2022 tOSU, they are going to get theirs no matter how good your D is. So, at some point, you better be able to score a lot of points. But, you have to have the solid D to start with ... it reduces the margin of error.

If Lauranaitis does anything close does anything close with the LBs that Hartline has done with the receivers then we need to find a former high profile player to coach DBs too. What's Malcolm Jenkins doing these days?
Not taking anything away from Hartline, but what he does with the WRs is sign the best WRs almost every year. Crazy the amount of talent OSU has in their WR room.

I think the last couple years has shown you that isn't the case. When is the last time Ohio State finished the year on a 2 game losing streak? Offensive talent is something OSU always has -- they aren't winning it all unless they find some talent on the defensive side of the ball too.

Not taking anything away from Hartline, but what he does with the WRs is sign the best WRs almost every year. Crazy the amount of talent OSU has in their WR room.

Marvin Harrison was only a 4*

I think the last couple years has shown you that isn't the case. When is the last time Ohio State finished the year on a 2 game losing streak? Offensive talent is something OSU always has -- they aren't winning it all unless they find some talent on the defensive side of the ball too.
We were a shanked FG away from winning it all this year, and that was against the best team in the nation down 5 of our top 6 offensive players.

he was rated as a 5 star on On3.. he was a top 100 recruit on the other sites except 247 who had him at 159 LOL

I remember being surprised he was as low as he was with his size and pedigree

Marvin Harrison was only a 4*
Not sure Marvin Harrison is the guy you should use as an example with the family blood line and genetics he grew up with.

Not to take anything away from Hartline, but there isn't anything he could teach Marvin Harrison Jr. that his Dad couldn't teach him and most likely has already taught him. When your dad had almost 15,000 yards receiving and 128 touchdowns in the NFL -- you have one of the best to do it as your Dad, who you can go to for thoughts at any time.