23-24 Portal boyz

This is what’s coming out:

Dad was for UGA. Mom had reservations. They picked UGA and started the enrollment, got the NIL contract, etc.

OSU comes in with double. No trolling IMO, just a much better last second offer.
Money talks. When these kids get the opportunity, they become paid mercenaries. Wanna keep him, dont have your coach to leave.

I saw where he returned punts last season too and actually had an 85 yard return for a TD!

Ohio State hasn't had a legitimate punt return threat since Ted Ginn, I swear
This kid is a star in every sense of the word. He was a real loss for us. Your guys got a true player in every sense of the word. He impressed from day one. Good pickup.

I saw where he returned punts last season too and actually had an 85 yard return for a TD!

Ohio State hasn't had a legitimate punt return threat since Ted Ginn, I swear
I'm fairly certain we haven't had a punt return TD since Jalin Marshall in like 2013. Haven't had a KO return TD since Ginn vs Florida either. Oh and fuck Roy Hall.

Money talks. When these kids get the opportunity, they become paid mercenaries. Wanna keep him, dont have your coach to leave.

Yeah. So it's looking like Ohio State isn't willing to pay out as much for the recruits themselves but for proven transfers/players they open up the bank accounts.

I'm sure free safety being Ohio States weakest returning position by far played into it as well

Yeah. So it's looking like Ohio State isn't willing to pay out as much for the recruits themselves but for proven transfers/players they open up the bank accounts.

I'm sure free safety being Ohio States weakest returning position by far played into it as well
Pretty much our entire OL would beg to differ

one of the UT $9.95ers on Wednesday or Thursday said on his youtube show that his sourced guy was saying how much the Downs family were not fans of UGA.. He thought that was interesting since everyone else were confident he would be landing at UGA..

What’s wild is once you hire a secondary coach he will get paid less than Downs is. What a world to live in.

He's broken our hearts once before, so who really knows, but I hear he has enrolled in classes.

Nah I think he is sticking with you guys now. Rumor was he was really homesick being at Bama and was thinking about transferring even before Saban left.

one of the UT $9.95ers on Wednesday or Thursday said on his youtube show that his sourced guy was saying how much the Downs family were not fans of UGA.. He thought that was interesting since everyone else were confident he would be landing at UGA..
General consensus on the UGA boards is that this didn't play into it. There was some discussion when he went to Bama that the family was pissed UGA didn't recruit and give an offer to his older brother. He ended up starring at WR with UNC, and is not in the NFL with Indy and just had a great year. But, per the boards, that is water over the dam.

At the end of the day, this was purely an NIL deal, and I can't say I blame him if the numbers are correct. Supposedly, we were in the $300K range, and he got QB1 money from tOSU ... over a million per year. If that is the case, can't blame him. You are going to go to an elite program, get in the CFP your next 2 years, and over 2 years make $1.5 million more. Evidently, his mom was of the belief that they gave the Saban discount to Bama, and they weren't going to do that again. If it was a low-tier team making the offer - say UF - then he probably would have gone UGA.

Before you @ me with "sour grapes" and "people always say it's NIL" etc., let's remember that everyone was of the belief he was UGA bound. Hell, the tOSU mods on their boards had conceded it. I follow recruiting closely and can never remember one turning like this one did. You also have to know that he was in Athens on Thursday night, the process of getting him enrolled had started, and the UGA collective had sent over the agreed-upon contract. It suddenly turned at noon-ish Friday, and by mid-day, they were told to stop the enrollment process. 30 minutes later, it was announced he was going to tOSU. Also, while he is going to a top program, his position coach at Bama is now at UGA, and the Bama/UGA defensive scheme is almost identical. He will be playing in a different defensive scheme at tOSU, which doesn't currently have his position coach on staff. He was starting at both places, so it wasn't PT.

It's a great pull for tOSU and it will help them. As for UGA, we obviously wanted him and wish we would have landed him. But we have an All-American at saftety in his third year, and we just pulled the no. 1 safety from HS, and last year pulled the no. 2 safety. We are loaded in the secondary. Again, would have loved to have landed him - it would have been the best safety combo in CFB for years. But we will be fine.

General consensus on the UGA boards is that this didn't play into it. There was some discussion when he went to Bama that the family was pissed UGA didn't recruit and give an offer to his older brother. He ended up starring at WR with UNC, and is not in the NFL with Indy and just had a great year. But, per the boards, that is water over the dam.

At the end of the day, this was purely an NIL deal, and I can't say I blame him if the numbers are correct. Supposedly, we were in the $300K range, and he got QB1 money from tOSU ... over a million per year. If that is the case, can't blame him. You are going to go to an elite program, get in the CFP your next 2 years, and over 2 years make $1.5 million more. Evidently, his mom was of the belief that they gave the Saban discount to Bama, and they weren't going to do that again. If it was a low-tier team making the offer - say UF - then he probably would have gone UGA.

Before you @ me with "sour grapes" and "people always say it's NIL" etc., let's remember that everyone was of the belief he was UGA bound. Hell, the tOSU mods on their boards had conceded it. I follow recruiting closely and can never remember one turning like this one did. You also have to know that he was in Athens on Thursday night, the process of getting him enrolled had started, and the UGA collective had sent over the agreed-upon contract. It suddenly turned at noon-ish Friday, and by mid-day, they were told to stop the enrollment process. 30 minutes later, it was announced he was going to tOSU. Also, while he is going to a top program, his position coach at Bama is now at UGA, and the Bama/UGA defensive scheme is almost identical. He will be playing in a different defensive scheme at tOSU, which doesn't currently have his position coach on staff. He was starting at both places, so it wasn't PT.

It's a great pull for tOSU and it will help them. As for UGA, we obviously wanted him and wish we would have landed him. But we have an All-American at saftety in his third year, and we just pulled the no. 1 safety from HS, and last year pulled the no. 2 safety. We are loaded in the secondary. Again, would have loved to have landed him - it would have been the best safety combo in CFB for years. But we will be fine.
Special circumstance for a special players so I don’t believe you can say every example is bc of NIL. This was the case though but Downs is literally a gamechanger on defense and special teams. Not many guys can do that

So Downs left because of No relationships on new staff and new scheme…but doesn’t go to the place with your ex position coach and whose defense is literally the exact same as the one you ran at Bama?

This was all about Downs chasing the biggest Bag. Point Blank.

Special circumstance for a special players so I don’t believe you can say every example is bc of NIL. This was the case though but Downs is literally a gamechanger on defense and special teams. Not many guys can do that
Can't disagree. My only question is whether a S is really that much of a gamechanger. QBs are, but are S? That said, he's a potential top 10 guy in the first round. Great get.

So Downs left because of No relationships on new staff and new scheme…but doesn’t go to the place with your ex position coach and whose defense is literally the exact same as the one you ran at Bama?

This was all about Downs chasing the biggest Bag. Point Blank.
I hate when everyone relflexively points at NIL, but there is no doubt on this one. As I said above, it's not like he's taking a bag to go do some Eastern Michigan. And tOSU was one of the schools he considered heavily coming out of high school. But, yeah, NIL for sure.

Willing to dish it out more for proven players has a lot less risk that “ betting on the come” does.