4-cyl Turbo Ford Ranger

Well his GF doesn't weigh anything!

hahahaha
I'm just teasing @ill. I know he can't afford a new vehicle or a boat of any size. I would love to watch him back him Hamster-mobile down the ramp with a damn near 30' long trailer on the as end of that Ranger shitbox.

A man needs an every day driver truck, one with satellite radio and all the comforts, but one that can still tow a boat around, and a man also needs an older beater truck.

2016 F-159 and a 1984 F-250 is a good start

4702FB26-6378-433A-BC25-62512664505F.jpeg

Reactions: ill
A man needs an every day driver truck, one with satellite radio and all the comforts, but one that can still tow a boat around, and a man also needs an older beater truck.

View attachment 16124
one day.

I did see someone selling a 2000 Toyota 4 Runner that I wouldn't mind turning into a overland vehicle. That could be a lot of fun.

one day.

I did see someone selling a 2000 Toyota 4 Runner that I wouldn't mind turning into a overland vehicle. That could be a lot of fun.
If you can find a Toyota pickup from the late 80’s or early 90’s with the 22r 4 cylinder, they’re indestructible, will go anywhere they can fit between the trees and get good gas mileage. They’re weak and you’re gonna top out at 70, but if you don’t let them run hot, they’ll last forever.

Same thing with the Jeep Cherokees with the 4.0 straight 6, except they have plenty of power but get worse gas mileage.

View attachment 16124
Exactly. I have a 2016 Sliverado LTZ that is loaded with all the bells and whistles for everyday and a 2007 3/4 Dodge for beating on, hauling and plowing my driveway.

If you can find a Toyota pickup from the late 80’s or early 90’s with the 22r 4 cylinder, they’re indestructible, will go anywhere they can fit between the trees and get good gas mileage. They’re weak and you’re gonna top out at 70, but if you don’t let them run hot, they’ll last forever.

Same thing with the Jeep Cherokees with the 4.0 straight 6, except they have plenty of power but get worse gas mileage.
I would love an older straight 6 Land Cruiser.

I have a 2011 Tacoma that I plan on getting over 200K miles on...but I started looking at the Rangers.

if the gas mileage isn't that much better with the Ranger, it's not worth it for me.

I would love an older straight 6 Land Cruiser.

I have a 2011 Tacoma that I plan on getting over 200K miles on...but I started looking at the Rangers.

if the gas mileage isn't that much better with the Ranger, it's not worth it for me.
I get around 20 with my F-150. With as much as the smaller trucks cost, you’re about better off buying a full size truck

I get around 20 with my F-150. With as much as the smaller trucks cost, you’re about better off buying a full size truck
my Taco gets about 20...maybe a little better.

something bigger wouldn't fit in my garage though.

Again, it does everything I need it to do.

my Taco gets about 20...maybe a little better.

something bigger wouldn't fit in my garage though.

Again, it does everything I need it to do.
There’s nothing wrong with them, just you’re likely getting more bang for your buck unless the prices have changed since the last time I was at a dealership.

There’s nothing wrong with them, just you’re likely getting more bang for your buck unless the prices have changed since the last time I was at a dealership.
I kind of want to test drive one to see what a turbo on a pickup feels like. I think it's a cool idea.

I kind of want to test drive one to see what a turbo on a pickup feels like. I think it's a cool idea.
My truck is a turbocharged V6 Ecoboost. Has just as much power and get up and go as any half ton truck I’ve ever had.

My truck is a turbocharged V6 Ecoboost. Has just as much power and get up and go as any half ton truck I’ve ever had.
that's kind of what got me looking at the Ranger. Always thought the F150 with a turbo was a good idea, wanted to see if they plugged that idea into the Ranger.

View attachment 16124
My buddy has a sky-blue 84 Bronco. I have to have my shit strapped down with athletic tape every time I see it or I'm going to pitch a tent.

My buddy has a sky-blue 84 Bronco. I have to have my shit strapped down with athletic tape every time I see it or I'm going to pitch a tent.
The Broncos is probably more appealing than my F-250. That 460 big block gets about 8 MPGs whether it has no load or if it’s pulling a house. Thing’s a beast, but on a cold, frosty morning like today, you’d have to rev it up for an hour before it gets warmed up enough to drive, and you’d burn half a tank just warming it up

The Broncos is probably more appealing than my F-250. That 460 big block gets about 8 MPGs whether it has no load or if it’s pulling a house. Thing’s a beast, but on a cold, frosty morning like today, you’d have to rev it up for an hour before it gets warmed up enough to drive, and you’d burn half a tank just warming it up
sounds great.

It comes in handy. I use to pull heavy loads, haul firewood to my great uncles and go to the river. But it’s not a daily driver
see I'd rather have the newer daily driver with a beater to do jobs like that.

see I'd rather have the newer daily driver with a beater to do jobs like that.
That’s my set up. The old beater saves a lot of wear and tear on the daily driver. I don’t have to worry about scratching up my newer truck, but when work is involved, I have the old F-250

That’s my set up. The old beater saves a lot of wear and tear on the daily driver. I don’t have to worry about scratching up my newer truck, but when work is involved, I have the old F-250
ah I gotcha. I had you flipped around on that.

friend of mine said something about how she just bought a hybrid Volvo and that got me thinking about hybrid pickups...

so I went looking without any luck.

however there is a 4-cyl turbo Ford Ranger and it doesn't look half bad.

anyone have any opinions there?

View attachment 16007

I think it's a good looking truck. I would have looked a lot harder at them when I bought my 250, if they had any to choose from then.

@ill did you buy something like this???
I think that power plant is more than adequate for that thing. Probably better than the 12 mpg I get in mine, too.

They seemed like they liked them a lot and prices seemed high at the time.

So I just ordered something else.