GAME #5 Florida St vs #6 Georgia (Orange Bowl) 4:00 pm (ET) ESPN

If you want to make a “statement” to the Committee your players should probably play. Either way the end result would have been the same…curb stomping.

Go suck some more dick, Danny

:ranger:
Nobody takes more Ls than Danny

I post this less to be critical of FSU ... they got their heart torn out, I get it ... and more to point out that I don't think you are going to find teams winning with just portal, eg., Colorado. Culture matters ... and you have to develop that.

- I don't think anyone would argue that if you can do it, the way to build sustained success is stacking high school classes, losing good players to the portal who want PT because they weren't as good as their rankings or got recruited over, and then supplement with the portal. That's not easy to do. It's what UGA and Bama are doing, tOSU to an extent. Texas will, OU will. I think the HS recruiting is the hard part.

- There are programs that will never have the sustained HS recruiting part because (1) they don't have the reputation (NCSU, UVa, Illinois, Minnesota) and/or don't have the coach (Colo). They are going to have to rely more heavily on the portal, but also development and diamonds in the rough they can hold on to. Missouri with who is turning out to be a good coach is a good example. These schools won't have sustained success, but they can be the Butlers of CFB ... get a senior laden team a couple times per decade and make a run to get into the CFP.

- Which brings us to the FSU's of the world - FSU, maybe Nebraska, Maimi - teams with history who may be able to cycle back. FSU is in rebuild mode, so they are jacking up high school recruiting - they were 19, 20, 22 IRCC, then 9 this year. They need to keep stacking classes. FSU getting a number 9 class is good, but that's Richt good - I think most people understand that comparison. He was always top 10, but rarely top 5. Going forward that will get you in the CFP, which is good, but it's not going to get you sustained success. So you need to push HS recruiting, keeping your players as much as you can, and develop a culture of brotherhood where you don't have late-round NFL guys opting out because they wouldn't do that to their brothers.

One last thing on culture - this is Kamari Lassiter, shut down CB:

Smart saw the junior cornerback’s NFL draft grade by an advisory panel — a first or second rounder — and offered him an assessment that was in Lassiter's best interest but probably not Georgia’s.

“I told him, Kamari, you should come out for the draft,” he said. “That's my opinion. You're one of the top corners in the draft. You've got to make that decision.”

“The second decision is you've got to decide if you want to play in this bowl game. I don't know that you've got a lot to gain in this bowl game, but I do know who you are and I do know how you practice and I do know how to lead. But I'm not going to be disappointed in anything you decide,” Smart said. “He came back about three or four days later, and I met with him and his mom and talked to him and fully expected him not to play in this game.

“He called me two days later and said, ‘Coach, I can't do it. I can't do it. I'm sitting down, I'm over there coaching. I can't do it. I want to be out there. I want to play with my guys.’”

We are going to have about 12-15 guys drafted. They all played except Bowers and Mims, both first-rounders, both injured - same injury, high ankle sprain for which they both had tightrope surgery and tried to come back for the SECCG but were limited in their ability to play.

Beating LSU wasnt really hard, you just had to stop the QB and they were done.

And beating Florida at the swamp? Come on man, that aint hard. Arkansas did it and they are 4-8.

You thumping your chest is funny. You use the players opting out as an excuse, no pride in your team is a real thing, and you(and the players opted out) show it.

Bama played in a meaningless bowl last year and the players all played in the bowl. Bama ended up with more than one top 10 pick and 8 overall picked in the draft, and they all played. Thats pride in a team. Your players showed they were all about the money, not team.

I'd say the way to beat them was by grinding down their defense and limiting LSU's possessions on offense

LSU was basically this year's 2022 USC