5* QB Dante Moore Decommits From Oregon, Commits To UCLA.

My favorite we had was Justin Zwick, he looked like the next coming in high school, then quickly crashed and burned at Ohio State. SO MANY PEOPLE had him written in as the big thing coming. Thankfully we had Troy Smith in the same class to end up picking up the slack though. Sometimes things just work out in the end.

Point being you never rely on the HS kid unless you absolutely have to. No matter how highly touted they may be.

This. I'm not predicting Moore to be a bust but you take the sure thing over potential every day of the week.

Not too worried about it with Nix coming back.
Oregon has had wayyyy too many of these "touted" 4+ star QBs who do absolutely nothing. With the transfer portal, you can go 1-2 years a time at the position until you hit the lottery on a recruit.

This. I'm not predicting Moore to be a bust but you take the sure thing over potential every day of the week.

It's easy to say "THE RECRUIT COULD BE YOUR STARTER FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS BUT YOU ARE GIVING HIM UP FOR 1 YEAR!!!!"

Coaches fall out of favor fucking fast this day and age. If you are a coach you are 100% riding with the sure thing. Even if it's only there for 1 more year.

Could Moore star for 3 years? Sure, he could. But it's far from a certainty. He could also struggle early and not really perform at a high level for 2/3 years if ever at all.

I've seen a lot of QBs look amazing in HS and then either never do anything at all in college or take a couple years to finally adjust........

You always go with the "sure" thing if you have it, IMO.
With the portal -- I'd rather take my shot on a top 10 nationally 5 star QB (if the flip had to do with Nix coming back).
Could be that I'm just not a fan of Nix and think Oregon will essentially be what they were this year, losing 3-4 games with him as the starter.

With the portal -- I'd rather take my shot on a top 10 nationally 5 star QB (if the flip had to do with Nix coming back).
Could be that I'm just not a fan of Nix and think Oregon will essentially be what they were this year, losing 3-4 games with him as the starter.

Not sure why you are so down on Nix. He had a great season and if he doesn't get injured, he likely leads Oregon to a PAC 12 Championship. With all the skill guys back on offense, they'll be in contention again next year for a PAC title.

I agree -- unless Oregon has another 5 star QB waiting to sign in 2024 -- I'd have told Nix, thanks but no thanks. We will go with Moore next year. He is going to be a stud in college. I've got to watch him play a half dozen times in high school. He isn't asked to throw it all over the field, as he plays for a team who overpowers most teams they play. But in the games they do have him throw -- he is so good -- I don't know the exact numbers from the state finals game this year, but he was like 22-25 for 300 and 4 tds. 2 of the 3 incompletions hit the receivers between the numbers and were dropped.

You're being ridiculous.

Plenty of 5* QBs bust hard in college.

Not sure why you are so down on Nix. He had a great season and if he doesn't get injured, he likely leads Oregon to a PAC 12 Championship. With all the skill guys back on offense, they'll be in contention again next year for a PAC title.
I've watched Bo Nix for a long time now. In Oregon's offense against Pac defenses -- he will look good. When you put him up against a team that can play defense -- he crumbles. He did the same thing at Auburn. It is why he is coming back to Oregon, because even he knows he isn't going to be a starter at the next level, maybe he can hold a clip board.

I've watched Bo Nix for a long time now. In Oregon's offense against Pac defenses -- he will look good. When you put him up against a team that can play defense -- he crumbles. He did the same thing at Auburn. It is why he is coming back to Oregon, because even he knows he isn't going to be a starter at the next level, maybe he can hold a clip board.

Auburn was also a dumpster fire. They scapegoated Nix and Malzahn and when they finally got rid of them both, they had their worst season in a decade

You're being ridiculous.

Plenty of 5* QBs bust hard in college.
I know -- but I'd rather take that shot. Bo Nix isn't going to win a national title for Oregon. He will be pretty much what he has been his entire career. Will put up good numbers against weaker teams, but in big games against teams with a defense -- he will struggle immensely.

Oklahoma gets maybe 1/3rd credit for Hurts. He played 3 years at Bama and 1 at OU
Mayfield started his career at Texas Tech and Murray at A&M. Do those two get some credit too?

But Hurts probably “developed” the most. (He’s also more humble IMHO.) Mayfield and Murray came out of pretty damned good high school programs so they were further along when they started.

Auburn was also a dumpster fire. They scapegoated Nix and Malzahn and when they finally got rid of them both, they had their worst season in a decade
Oregon faced 2 defenses in the top 30 this year. Georgia and Utah. Bo Nix completed 45 of 74 passes for 460 yards, 1 td and 3 int's.

He is like those AAAA baseball players in the MLB, where they tear up AAA pitching, but when they move up to the big leagues, they are mediocre. Bo Nix is the equivalent to that, IMO.

And I'm not saying Bo Nix isn't a solid QB -- he is. Hell -- he could even get Oregon a PAC title next year, if USC hasn't figured out how to play defense still. But if Oregon's goal is to win a national title -- Bo Nix is not the guy.

Oregon faced 2 defenses in the top 30 this year. Georgia and Utah. Bo Nix completed 45 of 74 passes for 460 yards, 1 td and 3 int's.

He is like those AAAA baseball players in the MLB, where they tear up AAA pitching, but when they move up to the big leagues, they are mediocre. Bo Nix is the equivalent to that, IMO.

UGa is on another level. Look what they did to the Vols offense,

Bo actually played pretty well in the Utah game considering he was limping all over the field for the entire game.

Bo has clearly shown he’s capable of keeping Oregon in contention for a PAC championship. I don’t think that’s really debatable. And it’s a huge gamble to take an 18 year old who’s never played at the college level and expect to be in the same position.

As for a national title, Oregon isn’t close to that and QB is the least of their problems in that regard. Defense has to be a lot better before you can even have those conversations

And I'm not saying Bo Nix isn't a solid QB -- he is. Hell -- he could even get Oregon a PAC title next year, if USC hasn't figured out how to play defense still. But if Oregon's goal is to win a national title -- Bo Nix is not the guy.

There’s no doubt that you could have a better QB than Nix but you could definitely do worse. Rolling the dice on an unproven HS kid is silly. Especially when Nix returning pretty much guarantees Oregon should have a top 15 offense next year. Moore could be an NFL caliber QB but he could easily end up being another bust who’s in the portal after a couple of seasons. It’s just the nature of the sport

UGa is on another level. Look what they did to the Vols offense,

Bo actually played pretty well in the Utah game considering he was limping all over the field for the entire game.

Bo has clearly shown he’s capable of keeping Oregon in contention for a PAC championship. I don’t think that’s really debatable. And it’s a huge gamble to take an 18 year old who’s never played at the college level and expect to be in the same position.

As for a national title, Oregon isn’t close to that and QB is the least of their problems in that regard. Defense has to be a lot better before you can even have those conversations
I guess I've always looked at it as a gamble, no matter who you are bringing in recruiting. The key position on the field that can get you to the next level is Quarterback. I'm not saying Dante Moore is a guy who definitely would get you to the next level, but personally, if it were UM, I'd want them to sign Moore and take the shot. Not every year you get a chance to sign a 5 star QB.

I don’t think Oregon is winning a National title next year with Nix. But they certainly will probably get closer to it with him than they would rolling the dice with a true freshman.
I mean -- I'm not saying Moore would come in next year and have them as a title contender, but he could solidify the position and if he performs as many expect him to -- it could lead recruits to follow him to Oregon, as they know he will be there QB for the next two years. No different than USC with Caleb Williams. Jordan Addison transferred to play with him. Now the Arizona WR is transferring to USC next year to play with him.

Of course, all of this is simply possibilities -- Moore could be a flop.

I guess I've always looked at it as a gamble, no matter who you are bringing in recruiting. The key position on the field that can get you to the next level is Quarterback. I'm not saying Dante Moore is a guy who definitely would get you to the next level, but personally, if it were UM, I'd want them to sign Moore and take the shot. Not every year you get a chance to sign a 5 star QB.

That's fair. I don't think telling your productive starting QB to kick rocks when you expect to have a top 15 team and a conference championship contender is a very smart gamble. It would have been nice to keep both of them though.

That's fair. I don't think telling your productive starting QB to kick rocks when you expect to have a top 15 team and a conference championship contender is a very smart gamble. It would have been nice to keep both of them though.
I'm probably more persistent with Dante Moore because I've watched him play so often in high school and remember when they were talking him up as an 8th grader before he even started playing for Detroit King HS.
He is just an impressive kid.