After watching these Bowls

Thank God, there is a 12 team playoff next year. Tired of watching teams missing their best players and announcers pretending it’s the same team that played during the season
preach GIF by Shalita Grant

All possible, but I won’t have to watch a team line up without half their defense
A blowout is a blowout. Regardless of who is playing. And can happen in any round.

Not sure that makes much of a point. It’s a singular team. I am guessing if you ask a coach if he would like a couple extra weeks of practice, he would say hell yes. There is a reason there is spring and fall camp. Also keep in mind that the start of these practices are focused on the younger kids. They don’t get as much attention during the season.
I do agree here. However, when a season starts and progresses each week, I never hear a coach, media, etc. say, "Yeah these players did great so far this season. We are 6-0. Thank goodness for pre bowl practice.

Problem is.... you Think you're watching good football all year.... Till they play a good football team in the bowl :)

it must suck to hinge your entire college football accomplishments on the back of other teams

I can't imagine what that must feel like

I do agree here. However, when a season starts and progresses each week, I never hear a coach, media, etc. say, "Yeah these players did great so far this season. We are 6-0. Thank goodness for pre bowl practice.

this is just some lame ass stuff excuse makers say to try to dissuade the thought we are seeing total shit in most of these bowl games.

My brother suggested that they require playing in bowl game to receive full NIL money.
Other than legit injuries right?

But it won’t stop most of it unless it’s a major NIL deal unless NFL teams start refusing to draft players that opt out before day 3 or something

Half the games in the 12 team playoff will still be blowouts. Just like half the games in the 4 team playoffs.
There will be some but I doubt it is 50%. And I have no problem if some are. Sometimes things go completely sideways for a team in the same game everything falls in place for the other. Happens all the time.

You can say that for any game.
No you can't.

The levels of opt outs from they key players on most teams is insane. We aren't watching anything close to what we watch all year.

The odd injury during the season isn't the same. Not at all.

The product we are watching during bowl season has mostly turned to garbage.

It's really sick to see some of the kids who opt out still on the sideline, even in street clothes.

If you quit on your team you shouldn't be allowed in the stadium without paying for a ticket and sitting in the stands. You don't get to enjoy the scene after you decided to not fight along with your brothers. Fuck that.

I told people a few years ago that the bowls are turning into meaningless exhibition games. I enjoy watching them but they don't really tell you anything about a team's overall strength. Just enjoy them for what they are. They are preseason games played at the end of the year.

It's a good opportunity to get some extra practice and see some of the young guys get an opportunity that they didn't get during the regular season.

I told people a few years ago that the bowls are turning into meaningless exhibition games. I enjoy watching them but they don't really tell you anything about a team's overall strength. Just enjoy them for what they are. They are preseason games played at the end of the year.

It's a good opportunity to get some extra practice and see some of the young guys get an opportunity that they didn't get during the regular season.
And I said years ago that the increasing numbers of bowl games was eroding the overall play. If we had less than 20-25 bowls and they were an honor to be in them again we likely wouldn't see as many opt outs as we are now seeing.

We end up with 5-7 teams in bowl ffs. Schedule some cupcakes for your OOC and find a way to win a couple of conference games and you get to go to a bowl.

Stop rewarding mediocrity and teams that do get in might appreciate it more.

I like this solution.

As do I, since FSU had an issue (their business that’s fine) and “didnt want to be there” ect. That’s cool, don’t accept the invitation.
Let someone else take that arse whoppin..

I like this solution.

FSU should have bowed out conpletely. They got fucked and were in now way going to take that game seriously. No motivation and no players. They should have given the whole thing the finger, and went home.

And I said years ago that the increasing numbers of bowl games was eroding the overall play. If we had less than 20-25 bowls and they were an honor to be in them again we likely wouldn't see as many opt outs as we are now seeing.

We end up with 5-7 teams in bowl ffs. Schedule some cupcakes for your OOC and find a way to win a couple of conference games and you get to go to a bowl.

Stop rewarding mediocrity and teams that do get in might appreciate it more.
I agree that there are too many bowl games now.

But regardless, opt outs are gonna opt out. We've opened Pandora's box there and no turning back.

These are two different issues. But the amount of mediocrity in bowl games has risen dramatically because of both.

But regardless, opt outs are gonna opt out. We've opened Pandora's box there and no turning back.

These are two different issues. But the amount of mediocrity in bowl games has risen dramatically because of both.

There's no saving the bowl games IMO. They are what they are, exhibition games that will be treated as such. They're fun to watch during the holidays when people have time off. But if you aren't in the CFP, your season is over. That's the reality.

Opt outs aren't new. They were doing it 20+ years ago, but not to this degree.

What is new is this stupid full-time portal.

They should close off the portal from half way through the regular season to after the championship game. It doesn't do anything positive for either the teams nor the athletes to have these ever increasingly early exodus waves. Kids wanting to get out ASAP so they are picked up early by the teams they want.

Make it so they can go to any team that will have them once the season is over. It's not a tough thing to fix.

Fix that and reduce the numbers of bowls and the quality of play will go up dramatically.

And even with the 12 team playoff, there's still room for bowls so I don't agree that system is entirely dead. There have been many great bowl games with teams outside of the top 15 and that doesn't have to change. The first round is only 4 games due to the stupid bye week system they have in place. Go 15 - 20 actual bowl games outside of the playoffs, address the early portal nonsense, and create a culture where opt outs aren't allowed on the sidelines. There will be better games than we have now.

Back