After watching these Bowls

It's a good opportunity to get some extra practice and see some of the young guys get an opportunity that they didn't get during the regular season.
Were I a coach for a non playoff bowl game, I would welcome the opt outs. It gives returners basically an extra spring training.

The top 4 being conference champions needs to go, though.
Something that needs serious consideration however, I’d hate to see conferences not schedule games between their top teams during conference play.

The bowl games are now bowel games. Your favorite team's players don't opt out, they cop out when it suits them. Bottom line: players are no longer students or fans, they are mercenaries. Maybe you like it this way. A lot of us don't.

And leave the holdouts at the house.
I would bring them and treat them as royalty whether they want to play or not. I would encourage the behavior and focus on the positives for next season.

I would bring them and treat them as royalty whether they want to play or not. I would encourage the behavior and focus on the positives for next season.
Hell no. If they opt out leave 'em at the house. No use in having those tag alongs eat up all the chicken fried steaks.

Let the ones that are going to play get all the goodies.

Hell no. If they opt out leave 'em at the house. No use in having those tag alongs eat up all the chicken fried steaks.

Let the ones that are going to play get all the goodies.
I understand the sentiment, but as a pure business decision, I am not going to stigmatize nor discourage that decision. On the business side, opting out for a non-playoff game has zero meaningful effect on that team's accomplishments. Getting an extra spring camp and meaningful game reps for the two deep for next season is far more valuable to the program.

I understand the sentiment, but as a pure business decision, I am not going to stigmatize nor discourage that decision. On the business side, opting out for a non-playoff game has zero meaningful effect on that team's accomplishments. Getting an extra spring camp and meaningful game reps for the two deep for next season is far more valuable to the program.

on the business side the quality of bowl games will have a direct effect on the money coming to the sports and programs. Fans don't care about extra practice. Fans care about the product.

The product this bowl season is the worst we've seen yet. The only saving grace is plans for next year and beyond. If it stayed at this pace CFB would be in a bad spot in 5 to 10 years.

on the business side the quality of bowl games will have a direct effect on the money coming to the sports and programs. Fans don't care about extra practice. Fans care about the product.

The product this bowl season is the worst we've seen yet. The only saving grace is plans for next year and beyond. If it stayed at this pace CFB would be in a bad spot in 5 to 10 years.
I think that revenue sharing will be a reality in the near future and there will be financial penalties for opting out. I also expect for several bowls to end, which will increase their value.

I think that revenue sharing will be a reality in the near future and there will be financial penalties for opting out. I also expect for several bowls to end, which will increase their value.

Several bowls have needed to end for years. The G5 teams should have their own playoff.

The bowl games are now bowel games. Your favorite team's players don't opt out, they cop out when it suits them. Bottom line: players are no longer students or fans, they are mercenaries. Maybe you like it this way. A lot of us don't.
It’s 2 fold. I’m said when the playoffs came that bowls were done. The hunger for sports content didn’t help, as the number of bowls grew and grew. When 6-6 and 5-7 teams make bowls, it’s easy to see how bowls lost there luster. Secondly, we have seen the rise of “respect my decision”. I get 1st round players skipping a non-playoff bowl game. If that was my kid, I would tell him to sit his ass. That said you have kids hitting the portal at a drop of the hat and people tripping over themselves to invent reasons why it is acceptable. Literally, enforcing the idea that putting yourself above the team is the correct move. You have late round guys sitting out with the same rationale

I'm not gonna complain about these bowl games. It's more college football for me. My goal is to watch so much of it from late December to early January that I'm literally sick of it. That will get me through the next couple months until spring where I can do other things to keep me busy.

After the championship game, it's a long college football drought until late August/early September.

Back