Big 12 thread

I do think Kyle is a great coach. I think Kleiman is a great coach. Neither are splashy or flamboyant, they are just good coaches. For those reasons Texas won’t look at them. Oddly the best 3 coaches in modern history at Texas are DKR, Akers, and Mack. DKR is far and away the best and his record was 17-13 before Texas hired him. Akers was 10-13. Mack was 80-69 (.537 win percentage)
Well we all know the story with how Akers got the job. Mack had built up UNC in the 90's and got them a top 10 class. Couldn't beat Bowden but he could beat everyone else. He went from 1-10 at UNC (twice) to 10-1 before leaving to UT. Kleiman has had less than two years running things in Manhattan, of course he can look great now, but he needs more seasons under his belt at this level to be considered 1997 Mack Brown. Whittington is a good coach but if he can't get a top 10 ranked team not even once.. especially with the PAC being down.. Why think he can do it in Austin?

Well we all know the story with how Akers got the job. Mack had built up UNC in the 90's and got them a top 10 class. Couldn't beat Bowden but he could beat everyone else. He went from 1-10 at UNC (twice) to 10-1 before leaving to UT. Kleiman has had less than two years running things in Manhattan, of course he can look great now, but he needs more seasons under his belt at this level to be considered 1997 Mack Brown. Whittington is a good coach but if he can't get a top 10 ranked team not even once.. especially with the PAC being down.. Why think he can do it in Austin?
Kleiman has been a HC since 2014. He won 4 FCS national championships from 2014-2018. I don’t know if Kleiman can recruit at a high level or deal with the BS of a major program, but I do know he can coach

Kleiman has been a HC since 2014. He won 4 FCS national championships from 2014-2018. I don’t know if Kleiman can recruit at a high level or deal with the BS of a major program, but I do know he can coach
Yes he can coach, but can he coach consistently on this level? He made some very questionable decisions vs UT last season when they jumped out to an early lead. Didn't the coach he succeeded at the FCS school win there as well?
Not trying to dog him, but he hasn't gotten the skins on the wall at this level yet. No way should Texas gamble, again, on a perceived on the rise coach.
Texas needs a proven coach that can recruit and cut down on the mental errors that have plagued the Herman era (especially the last two seasons)

Yes he can coach, but can he coach consistently on this level? He made some very questionable decisions vs UT last season when they jumped out to an early lead. Didn't the coach he succeeded at the FCS school win there as well?
Not trying to dog him, but he hasn't gotten the skins on the wall at this level yet. No way should Texas gamble, again, on a perceived on the rise coach.
Texas needs a proven coach that can recruit and cut down on the mental errors that have plagued the Herman era (especially the last two seasons)
IMHO Texas needs to search far and wide for a jewel that has future potential bona fide instead of past bona fide. There may be some assistant at Stoney Brook or Grand Valley State or whatever the fuck that hasn't been able to let their recruiting and coaching monster loose for various reasons. Hell, look where Hal Mumme and Leach were. There has to be a bunch of others out there.

On the other end, there may have been one just a few miles up the road at Belton...but I'm sure he was old and past his prime.

Of course, none of those fit stuffy, uppity, arrogant image that Longhorm (and other schools) BMDs like to convey. They shouldn't have to lower themselves to such....even if they miss out on diamonds.

IMHO Texas needs to search far and wide for a jewel that has future potential bona fide instead of past bona fide. There may be some assistant at Stoney Brook or Grand Valley State or whatever the fuck that hasn't been able to let their recruiting and coaching monster loose for various reasons. Hell, look where Hal Mumme and Leach were. There has to be a bunch of others out there.

On the other end, there may have been one just a few miles up the road at Belton...but I'm sure he was old and past his prime.

Of course, none of those fit stuffy, uppity, arrogant image that Longhorm (and other schools) BMDs like to convey. They shouldn't have to lower themselves to such....even if they miss out on diamonds.
odds is we will be back discussing this in 2024 on finding another coach

Funny seeing everyone calling Herman a charlatan and fraud now... when I’ve been calling him a pretender from before he stepped foot on campus, from the first few times I heard him speak.

Let the record show that I wanted Dantonio when Mack was on the outs.

Let the record show that I wanted Dantonio when Mack was on the outs.
he would have flaked here too with his non offense ass

I never wanted Tom either.. When he had that fiasco with the two Houston Sports DJs.. I was like how can he survive at TX if he lets those clowns get to him.. The guy called in, gets roasted and his wife has to do the digging.. Sometimes I really do think Michelle would have done a better job as HC than Tom.

he would have flaked here too with his non offense ass

I never wanted Tom either.. When he had that fiasco with the two Houston Sports DJs.. I was like how can he survive at TX if he lets those clowns get to him.. The guy called in, gets roasted and his wife has to do the digging.. Sometimes I really do think Michelle would have done a better job as HC than Tom.
I've always thought Barbara Bush and Laura Bush would have been better presidents/governors than the two Georges.

Big 12 is going to be very interesting starting this offseason...

No.. Texas is about to run the table after they receive the good news..
haha. Love to optimism but Jexas has 3 more losses at least in them. More if they quit on Herman.

What’s the good news? Call your shot.
Bad news for t-sip there is if Herman runs the table he ain't getting fired. So I'm very confused.

Bad news for t-sip there is if Herman runs the table he ain't getting fired. So I'm very confused.
Not that the Boss donghorns have ever used any, but what logic does it make to change both O and D coordinators and then can the HC the next season? Would a coordinator flex into a do-or-die situation like that? Maybe if they were guaranteed the helm after Tommy gets the boot...that’s the only way I’m making that move.

Not that the Boss donghorns have ever used any, but what logic does it make to change both O and D coordinators and then can the HC the next season? Would a coordinator flex into a do-or-die situation like that? Maybe if they were guaranteed the helm after Tommy gets the boot...that’s the only way I’m making that move.
Doesn't make any sense at all. And Jexas will probably really up the ante by keeping their AD around through it all. No one is going to roll in and be winning natty's within 3 years at Texas, and until they learn that they are screwed. That's why I support the 10 year contract for Jimbo. It pretty much eliminates any booster getting their panties twisted and just casting him aside for at least 6-7 years.

I've been thinking about something that sounds way off the wall but then, again, I'm no so sure it doesn't at least make sense for Texas to consider him if they fire Herman. What about Brent Venables? He's done a helluva job at Clemson and he has been around winning programs. The guy can recruit and it would give him a stiffy to come to a quality program and start beating Oklahoma on a regular basis. Is he worth an interview?

1602881999474.png

YESSSSSS!!! GET VENABLES!!! HE’LL SHOW RILEY A THING OR TWO!!!!

YESSSSSS!!! GET VENABLES!!! HE’LL SHOW RILEY A THING OR TWO!!!!
Ya think? The guy can coach even if we ran him out of Norman. Would you want to play Clemson next Saturday and bet we'd score at will on them? Texas talent could be hard to beat with the right coach. He'd need help on the offensive side of the ball but that can be hired. They'll never hire him but if they did I wouldn't be walking around saying things aren't going to change between OU and Texas.