Billy Donovan won't be returning to the Thunder

small market teams need more than the bubble can provide to survive....like i said i feel his salary is just the start in okc and the timing was right. his contract was ending and they are definitely going to have to rebuild going forward. billy wants to cash in on his momentum he has got right now imo.

They only have two players left besides Paul who make substantial money. I don't think this is about money.

:rockford: you scared to bet exhange now? who are you and what have you done with dj?
There is no betting exchange.....I looked all over the damn site....

He makes six million a year. Danilo makes 22 and has a 33 million dollar cap hold. They can't move Paul so after him they only have two players they could even pretend to move that will have a dramatic effect and both are on expiring deals. They have the means to dramatically reduce their payroll but they'd need a buyer.

If six million makes or breaks a team financially they shouldn't be owning a team.
You are wrong, there are several teams already in the running for Paul and he will be moved. I don’t expect to see Paul, Adams, Schroeder or Galinari on the team next year. The thunder have tons of options, more than most, but this is the start of the full rebuild.

You are wrong, there are several teams already in the running for Paul and he will be moved. I don’t expect to see Paul, Adams, Schroeder or Galinari on the team next year. The thunder have tons of options, more than most, but this is the start of the full rebuild.

The start?

They already traded Westbrook and George. There is a salary floor also ftr. Even if they move the others they gotta take back relatively equal contracts. No one is likely to have 35 million laying around to trade for Paul without giving back contracts.

So as I was saying. The six million isn't about finances

The start?

They already traded Westbrook and George. There is a salary floor also ftr. Even if they move the others they gotta take back relatively equal contracts. No one is likely to have 35 million laying around to trade for Paul without giving back contracts.

okc on record they want to go younger....billy on record he doesnt want to wait around for them to mature, it was last season of contract so no better time to part ways. if they save some bucks in the process it wont hurt.

okc on record they want to go younger....billy on record he doesnt want to wait around for them to mature, it was last season of contract so no better time to part ways. if they save some bucks in the process it wont hurt.

I don't doubt they are going younger but for the third time now you can't just trade all your expensive contracts and not take on just as many contracts.

If they move Paul they will likely get back either Middleton plus fluff or Bledsoe and Lopez plus picks. If they trade Danilo they would likely have to give up picks and take on another contract...etc..etc.

So again this brings me to the point 6 million for Donovan is the least of their concerns financially when they have 85 million due to Paul...which they can't just flip for a cheap player and picks. That's not how the NBA salary cap works.

Actually I see Danilo is a FA. So no need to worry there. I suspect they don't use his cap hold.

I don't doubt they are going younger but for the third time now you can't just trade all your expensive contracts and not take on just as many contracts.

If they move Paul they will likely get back either Middleton plus fluff or Bledsoe and Lopez plus picks. If they trade Danilo they would likely have to give up picks and take on another contract...etc..etc.

So again this brings me to the point 6 million for Donovan is the least of their concerns financially when they have 85 million due to Paul...which they can't just flip for a cheap player and picks. That's not how the NBA salary cap works.
you keep screaming at clouds.... 6 million is a start not the entire savings

The start?

you know the thunder have been top 2 or 3 in payroll right? That leaves a lot of salary to be dumped. Not resigning Donovan has everything to do with a complete rebuild.

For the 3rd time you are wrong. The thunder have been a luxury tax team, not anymore

you know the thunder have been top 2 or 3 in payroll right? That leaves a lot of salary to be dumped. Not resigning Donovan has everything to do with a complete rebuild.

Yes I do know that OKC has been a luxury tax team. And I will again explain to you that you can't just dump Chris Paul's contract and not take anything back. I do see Danilo is a free agent so it's very likely they don't use that cap hold. That still puts them at 105 million dollars in contracts if they don't spend another dime for next year. You can't just trade Stephen Adams for draft picks and no other contracts. No team will do that deal. You have to have a buyer man you can't just dump contracts. This is how the NBA works.

you keep screaming at clouds.... 6 million is a start not the entire savings

Yea that's what is happening here. I'm just backing my opinion this has nothing to do with money. Because it doesn't. You all are talking like they don't still have to spend 96 million dollars on contracts no matter what they do.

Oh and what do you know...