Cars that were different, Strange, or a Novelty, you have seen driving around

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 18,000.00
About a year ago I was driving North on I-35 between Davis, Oklahoma and Wynnewood, Oklahoma doing 75 in a 70 like I always do.
I see in my rearview mirror an old Pontiac gaining on me from behind. It's a ways out, but I notice it getting ever closer.

As it gets to within about a quarter mile back, I can see that it looks like a 1966 Pontiac Bonneville.
I couldn't tell if it was 2 door or 4 door yet.

Pretty soon, it gets up to me. It has to be doing 85-90 mph. Remember, I'm doing 75.

I look over and see this old, white haired lady, driving this 1966 2 door Pontiac Parisienne with a 427 call out. That's right. A Canadian Pontiac with some Chevrolet parts. That's how they built them up there. And yeah. That 427 was the Chevy 427.

I had never seen one before.
And I have no idea where she was going. My exit was just a mile up the road.

Looked like this except a light yellow, or beige something or another.

I didn't even want to try and keep up with her.
I guess she had somewhere to be.

@Hank Kingsley
Do you ever see any of these.??

1621289274923.png

Last edited:
Yup. Maybe not the 427 version you saw.

We have a high proportion of older cars here in great condition. Many were originally from here and have been babied by their original owners.

Yup. Maybe not the 427 version you saw.

We have a high proportion of older cars here in great condition. Many were originally from here and have been babied by their original owners.
The Chevy part thing makes me think Chevy built it under a Pontiac name, or some strange shit.

It was a lot more than the engine. Even the outside was a little different seems like.

Lots of garage kept vehicles, sounds like.

I saw the Monkees Car, I think it was at the State Fair once.
It was probably some piece of shit rip off, but I didn't know the difference as a kid.

1621290916492.png

About a year ago I was driving North on I-35 between Davis, Oklahoma and Wynnewood, Oklahoma doing 75 in a 70 like I always do.
I see in my rearview mirror an old Pontiac gaining on me from behind. It's a ways out, but I notice it getting ever closer.

As it gets to within about a quarter mile back, I can see that it looks like a 1966 Pontiac Bonneville.

Pretty soon, it gets up to me. It has to be doing 85-90 mph. Remember, I'm doing 75.

I look over and see this old, white haired lady, driving this 1966 2 door Pontiac Parisienne with a 427 call out. That's right. A Canadian Pontiac with some Chevrolet parts. That's how they built them up there. And yeah. That 427 was the Chevy 427.

@Hank Kingsley

View attachment 30528

That is awesome

Back in the day,my buddy had a Simka (year unknown).
So, we're tooling around in it smoking some fine red hash when we see a squad car. He abruptly makes a U Turn and hits the lights.
We start scrambling lighting up cigarettes to get rid of the smell and do our best to stash the hash and pipe. So we pull over, thinking we are going to get busted for possession as we watch the cop slowly approach the car. My buddy rolls down the window and, with bloodshot 1/2 closed eyes, says "Can I help you officer"? The cop says, I shit you not, "What the hell kind of car is this? Never saw anything like it in my life." My buddy tells him it is a Simka and the cop just shakes his head and says" Just wanted to let you know that your right tail light is out, make sure you get it fixed." We watch him walk all around the car giving it the once over and he then says "Have a good evening gentlemen"

Funny AF

Rfd247ad061546681e2483cb6e5ad7b9c

So, we're tooling around in it smoking some fine red hash when we see a squad car. He abruptly makes a U Turn and hits the lights.
We start scrambling lighting up cigarettes to get rid of the smell and do our best to stash the hash and pipe. So we pull over, thinking we are going to get busted for possession as we watch the cop slowly approach the car. My buddy rolls down the window and, with bloodshot 1/2 closed eyes, says "Can I help you officer"? The cop says, I shit you not, "What the hell kind of car is this? Never saw anything like it in my life." My buddy tells him it is a Simka and the cop just shakes his head and says" Just wanted to let you know that your right tail light is out, make sure you get it fixed." We watch him walk all around the car giving it the once over and he then says "Have a good evening gentlemen"

Funny AF

haha what a pugly lil' bastard of an automobile.

haha what a pugly lil' bastard of an automobile.

True that. He won it as a first prize at a Halloween party. Was great on gas, always started in the winter and he drove it for 2 years without a problem :beer2:

Funny AF

We have 2 cherry Nash Metropolitans in town.

Funny AF

Too funny, when I was 8 or 9 years old my oldest brother had a blue Simca. Had to be a little older than that one because it was a bit more square like this;
Simca - Wikipedia

Don't remember much about it except for the basic look and the fact that it was a standard and he let me try driving it in parking lots a couple times. That had to be funny AF for him and his buddies to watch. :pound:

Back in 1976 we would be driving around and every time we passed the A&W a guy that worked there owned a Superbird.
At the time, we all laughed at it and how clownish it was. It was at the drive in for like the next 10 years, then poof, gone.

Yep, like this one.

1621297986605.png

Back in 1976 we would be driving around and every time we passed the A&W a guy that worked there owned a Superbird.
At the time, we all laughed at it and how clownish it was. It was at the drive in for like the next 10 years, then poof, gone.

Yep, like this one.

View attachment 30536

I liked those racing but always found them kind of fugly.

@Hank Kingsley

View attachment 30528
As for this, I've seen a number of GM classics that were built for the Canadian market that had odd names and grills or other styling cues that would have typically been seen on a different GM brand.

Guy in town had one of these had one in late 60's. He also had a Lotus Europa. I used to deliver papers to him.

Here in town some jack wagon got a Mercedes SL completely chromed. Every body panel. It is annoying as fuck to drive by on a sunny day.

Also years ago I used to see this guy in the DFW driving around in a car that he had modified to look like it was a jet. I know I have a photo somewhere, I'll try to dig it up.