Changing oil

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 112.00
How many of you still do it?

I do my own for a coupe of major reasons, despite the fact that I don't save much money and hate getting hot and dirty.

I don't trust that oil change places will...

1.) let all the old oil drain out. I'm obsessed. I start the oil draining in the morning and let it drain for hours. I literally want every drop of old oil and dirt out.
2.) use the full synthetic that I pay for. They can and probably do either use bullshit oil or at least "watered-down" synthetic. I want name-brand shit from Costco.

Also, using the best synthetic, I only change it every 30,000+ miles. A guy from a machine shop showed me years ago that the old "pinch test" for oil is all you need. If you pinch the oil between two fingers and then you have any sort of "pull" as you separate your fingers, you have all the viscosity and more your engine needs from the oil. Changing oil every 3k miles is a silly gimmick of those who profit from it.

I used to change mine but don't anymore because I've gotten lazy but the only reason I ever did it was because of trust issues. I have a mechanic in the neighborhood that I mostly trust and I take them to his shop.

I do my own for a coupe of major reasons, despite the fact that I don't save much money and hate getting hot and dirty.

1.) let all the old oil drain out. I'm obsessed. I start the oil draining in the morning and let it drain for hours. I literally want every drop of old oil and dirt out.
2.) use the full synthetic that I pay for. They can and probably do either use bullshit oil or at least "watered-down" synthetic. I want name-brand shit from Costco.

Also, using the best synthetic, I only change it every 30,000+ miles. A guy from a machine shop showed me years ago that the old "pinch test" for oil is all you need. If you pinch the oil between two fingers and then you have any sort of "pull" as you separate your fingers, you have all the viscosity and more your engine needs from the oil. Changing oil every 3k miles is a silly gimmick of those who profit from it.
Have you tried the taste test yet? Every oil guy I know swears by it and says it is 100% accurate in regards to the quality of your oil. Simply take a tablespoon and fill it up and take a big old taste and swish it around. If it has a smooth and silky texture then you are good to go. If you get any grit then go ahead and change it but you would still be good as long as it doesn't have a "coffee-like" after taste.

Have you tried the taste test yet? Every oil guy I know swears by it and says it is 100% accurate in regards to the quality of your oil. Simply take a tablespoon and fill it up and take a big old taste and swish it around. If it has a smooth and silky texture then you are good to go. If you get any grit then go ahead and change it but you would still be good as long as it doesn't have a "coffee-like" after taste.
Going to try that now!!!

Which brand of synthetic do you use?

Have a 6.7 cummins diesel with a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. I take it to the dealer twice a year and pay them to change it so I have proof.
If something goes wrong I don't want any shenanigans.

i did my own til i lost my tools/ramps etc. now i just stop for a change at my local garage. $40. deal.

synthetic all the way baby, 10k miles.

yep -
still chg the oil in all my vehicles,
mostly cuz i'm a cheap bastard
and i dont mind turnin a wrench -
use mobil one syn -

My Germans get it changed every 10 K km. at the place I bought them. LiquiMoly 5-40

My wife's Maxima I do myself. Good location for filter and drain plug.

Unlike my daughter's old Jetta or my old SHO.

The filters were located right above the starter and other electrics, in a spot almost impossible to get at, especially working on your back with T-Rex arms. The clean up was ridiculous so I stopped doing them. Let a shop do them.

1603472027180.png

We have these around Baton Rouge....Used to claim they would do it all in 5 minutes or less....and at first they did.

They got real busy after a while and now they just claim to get it done in 10 minutes. They are fast...about 5 guys ......under the hood, under the vehicle, changing filters, adding fluids, checking air pressure.

You never leave your vehicle and they offer you a cold drink from a fountain and cookies to munch on while you wait those 10 minutes for them to complete the job.

Not exactly cheap but they are very thorough.

1603472305889.png

If you are that obsessed. You should pour 1/2 a quart in there while the plug is out just to get the little extra dirt & old oil out. Don't ask me how I know.

Dirt bikes were a different story. I used 1/2 & 1/2 Rotella from Shell changed it every 10 hours. On most 4T dirt bikes the engine oil is the transmission oil to. Transmissions are dirty things.

Just did both my Jetta and the wife’s back to back today. Been procrastinating a little, but it’s done for a bit.

I had it instilled into me to not pay for what you can easily do. Mrs OE always wants to just pay the money and have it done, but I can’t stand the idea. It’s too simple.

Only thing that would change my mind on it is like @Fish mentioned....if I had a warranty to honor I would take it in for documenting.

Reactions: Me
Not any more. Place i buy tires from will rotate then for free with oil change.

View attachment 7912

We have these around Baton Rouge....Used to claim they would do it all in 5 minutes or less....and at first they did.

They got real busy after a while and now they just claim to get it done in 10 minutes. They are fast...about 5 guys ......under the hood, under the vehicle, changing filters, adding fluids, checking air pressure.

You never leave your vehicle and they offer you a cold drink from a fountain and cookies to munch on while you wait those 10 minutes for them to complete the job.

Not exactly cheap but they are very thorough.

View attachment 7913
That quick, they’re probably leaving at least two cups of old oil in the engine.

That quick, they’re probably leaving at least two cups of old oil in the engine.

Then they'l get it next time since it will be on the bottom by then.

Smart Think About It GIF by Friends

I used to all the time, i hate taking it places especially when they have asshats using an impact to put the drain plug back on, i was younger and they were used vehicles with no warranties etc, now i have warranties and included oil changes in the purchase of the vehicles so we get them done at the dealer

I used to all the time, i hate taking it places especially when they have asshats using an impact to put the drain plug back on, i was younger and they were used vehicles with no warranties etc, now i have warranties and included oil changes in the purchase of the vehicles so we get them done at the dealer
Was going to say that earlier. When I’ve bought new I’ve always gotten at least a few years of oil change thrown in with it.

Current cars were low mileage used with good deals (off leases and former rentals) and places didn’t even have a shop to offer free oil changes.