Changing oil

I use to change oil when younger. Back in the day I went to tech school and was an ASE certified auto tech but last did that as employment at age 25 and I am age 60 now. I maybe quit changing oil 15 to 20 years ago. It was a pain to get rid of the old oil and by simply using google for oil change coupons I am always able to find one for the local Valvoline for $19.99 for a complete oil change with conventional oil. I do it every 3000 to 4000 miles or so. I cannot buy the oil and filter for that price and I do not have to crawl under anything or get rid of the oil.
This guy gets it.

It has absolutely nothing to do with me not trusting the mechanic...it's just such a simple task, it's just easier for me to do it myself. Making an appointment and waiting for it to get done is more a pain in the ass than just doing the job.
Aren’t you one of the retards that said you accidentally drained your transmission fluid?

pro tip: lesbians shouldn’t be trying to change oil.

Used to.

Working with T Rex arms with car on jacks, filter in god awful stupid places, oil up to elbows.

No more. It's a nice drive to the place I want it done. Before COVID I was working there and it was part of a workday when I got it serviced.

Now I make a trip early to the office before anybody else is there to "pick something up" and get it done then. Plus mileage.

Hell I was a certified auto tech back in the day and do all my work but with that being the case I always buy used with low miles and drive them until they die. I just upgraded to a used 2015 BMW X3 and that one I will have to figure out what I will do for oil changes. I am not sure what kind of oil is in it or what the previous owner used.

I still have the car I replaced with the BMW it is a 2007 Chysler Sebrinng with 270,000 miles in it. I quit doing oil changes myself many years back as I was just using conventional oil and I can always google a $19.99 Valvoline oil change coupon and print it out and stop in at the local vavoline. I would spend more on the oil and filter and then have to crawl under it and then get rid of the oil.

Last edited:
I last changed my own oil when I was in my teens. Now I just pay the man. I’ve got better things to do with my time.

My engine oil life monitor is telling me I only have 13% left at only 4000 miles.

You can't find anything from the Factory that tells you what the appropriate change intervals are, because they want you to rely on the engine oil monitor. I'm not pulling anything, it's not heavy duty service, it's fucking bullshit.

I'm thinking 7500 miles on regular oil and 15,000-18,000 on synthetic.

Anyone know how to check the air side of the intercooler and aftercooler on a marine 8v92 Detroit Diesel?

My engine oil life monitor is telling me I only have 13% left at only 4000 miles.

You can't find anything from the Factory that tells you what the appropriate change intervals are, because they want you to rely on the engine oil monitor. I'm not pulling anything, it's not heavy duty service, it's fucking bullshit.

I'm thinking 7500 miles on regular oil and 15,000-18,000 on synthetic.

my little oil change starts yelling at me once i get past 0% and go like 100 miles over

I usually just drain my oil into a ditch. The same ditch we used when I was a kid for tractors, mowers, and cars. It's really near the water well.

Yeah, I had the guy show me how to reset that mother fucker.
my "maintenance required" light is on...it's too much a pain in the ass to reset it everytime I do an oil change.

my "maintenance required" light is on...it's too much a pain in the ass to reset it everytime I do an oil change.

It's just in my 'settings'
The company car I used to have was a pain in the ass, but I got pretty good at it.

Yeah, I had the guy show me how to reset that mother fucker.
In any Jeep, you just press the start button without your foot on the brake. (so it doesn't start) Then, you press the gas pedal all the way to the floor 4 times....then press the start button again to turn it all off.
That resets that bullshit. I'm not changing that synthetic oil with a big filter every 5k. :rolleyes: