Changing oil

They mostly handle landscaping and yard service from what I've seen.
Apparently you've never seen a construction site.

How many of you still do it?

I do my own for a coupe of major reasons, despite the fact that I don't save much money and hate getting hot and dirty.

I don't trust that oil change places will...

1.) let all the old oil drain out. I'm obsessed. I start the oil draining in the morning and let it drain for hours. I literally want every drop of old oil and dirt out.
2.) use the full synthetic that I pay for. They can and probably do either use bullshit oil or at least "watered-down" synthetic. I want name-brand shit from Costco.

Also, using the best synthetic, I only change it every 30,000+ miles. A guy from a machine shop showed me years ago that the old "pinch test" for oil is all you need. If you pinch the oil between two fingers and then you have any sort of "pull" as you separate your fingers, you have all the viscosity and more your engine needs from the oil. Changing oil every 3k miles is a silly gimmick of those who profit from it.

Recommended oil changes are good if you plan on keeping your car a long time. Sludge builds up in oil over time and this can settle into moving parts like valve lifters causing noise and reduced engine power. An oil filter becomes useless after 10,000 miles if not before. I use Mobil synthetic. Cheapest at Walmart, $25 for 5-quart carton.

Apparently you've never seen a construction site.

Actually, they were on the crew that did my roof. Anyway, shop skills can motivate kids to go to trade school get into professions like construction.

That's not true.

Opinions vary and few people keep their cars as long as I do. I drove a '79 Olds 150,000 miles, changing oil every 10,000 miles; long before, it developed lifter tapping and sluggish power. A valve job fixed the problems and it went another 200,00 miles. This is an unusual case but I change it every 4,000 miles in the cars I now own.

The filter purifies the oil before it makes a return trip through the engine. It removes dirt and tiny flecks of metal from the oil, so only clean oil comes into contact with the moving engine parts. This increases the life of the engine. Not only does the lack of dirt and metal flecks prevent the system from clogging, but it also means the tiny particles aren’t scraping, denting, or scratching the engine components.

I change my filter every time I change my oil every 4,000 miles.

Opinions vary and few people keep their cars as long as I do. I drove a '79 Olds 150,000 miles, changing oil every 10,000 miles; long before, it developed lifter tapping and sluggish power. A valve job fixed the problems and it went another 200,00 miles. This is an unusual case but I change it every 4,000 miles in the cars I now own.

The filter purifies the oil before it makes a return trip through the engine. It removes dirt and tiny flecks of metal from the oil, so only clean oil comes into contact with the moving engine parts. This increases the life of the engine. Not only does the lack of dirt and metal flecks prevent the system from clogging, but it also means the tiny particles aren’t scraping, denting, or scratching the engine components.
In 1979 I wouldn't use one of those old paper filters for 2000 miles. The new filters for synthetic oil in a modern engine? They're good for 30k miles minimum.

You're right, opinions vary but the data doesn't.

Also, I don't use synthetic oil. If I did, I wouldn't change it as often.

That oil at 4000 miles will have 99.9% of the viscosity it had when you put it in. That's a fact.

Sure. But I'm kinda weird because I actually enjoy changing my oil. It always reminds me of growing up and hanging out with my dad in the garage.

Plus it gives me an excuse to get out of the house and drink beer. My wife thinks it takes 2 hours to change the oil in our van. lol.

Sure. But I'm kinda weird because I actually enjoy changing my oil. It always reminds me of growing up and hanging out with my dad in the garage.

Plus it gives me an excuse to get out of the house and drink beer. My wife thinks it takes 2 hours to change the oil in our van. lol.
Oddly enough, I actually enjoy it as well. Maybe not "enjoy" but it sure feels like it because of the satisfaction of replacing filthy old oil with clean, new oil.

In 1979 I wouldn't use one of those old paper filters for 2000 miles. The new filters for synthetic oil in a modern engine? They're good for 30k miles minimum.

You're right, opinions vary but the data doesn't.

Mobil One said in the 80s that you can go 10,000 miles between oil changes. Today marketers of synthetic oil today are pushing 20K and over. Filters looks the same, probably better filtering component but I'm not sure about that.

Fram XG7317Ultra Synthetic, 20K Mile Change filter.
1606417965530.png

If you put a lot of miles on an oil change, especially with the synthetic, I would always use the extended life filters.

You never want the oil to bypass the filter because it's full of shit.
You'll never know it's happening.

Until this truck, I always went 20,000 on an oil change with the extended life filters.
Never that concerned about oil changes on a new truck. It's just the next guys problem

I use to change oil when younger. Back in the day I went to tech school and was an ASE certified auto tech but last did that as employment at age 25 and I am age 60 now. I maybe quit changing oil 15 to 20 years ago. It was a pain to get rid of the old oil and by simply using google for oil change coupons I am always able to find one for the local Valvoline for $19.99 for a complete oil change with conventional oil. I do it every 3000 to 4000 miles or so. I cannot buy the oil and filter for that price and I do not have to crawl under anything or get rid of the oil.

Have you tried the taste test yet? Every oil guy I know swears by it and says it is 100% accurate in regards to the quality of your oil. Simply take a tablespoon and fill it up and take a big old taste and swish it around. If it has a smooth and silky texture then you are good to go. If you get any grit then go ahead and change it but you would still be good as long as it doesn't have a "coffee-like" after taste.
I also heard a good test is to use an eye dropper to inject some oil into your penis hole and if it stings, you should change your oil.