Clemson Joins FSU in Suing the ACC To Get Out of Media Rights

Dude on twitter points out:

Clemson's argument is that the Grant of Rights should only apply if it's in the ACC. If Clemson leaves the ACC, it should get its TV rights back. (This argument opens the door to blow up any P4 TV deal if a judge agrees)

That's pretty stupid logic otherwise a coach could say his buyout only applies if he is employed with the school and if he quits first and is no longer employed then he is free to take another job without paying the buyout.

Dance Travelling GIF by Visit Abu Dhabi

Traveling Ready To Go GIF by Škoda Global

Notre Dame, conference killer..

Texas has NOTHING on Notre Dame in that regard, NOTHING.

Texas doesn't kill conferences.. those conferences leech off UT, and when we leave they wither and dry... or become a circus for thursday/friday night games.. u know a basketball conference :)

so what are the bets on who leaves? who gets picked up by SEC and BigTen? who ends up in the Big XII? Does the ACC have a chance of staying? Does the ACC have a chance of stealing from the Big XII since they are getting a couple % more?

Florida State will not be in the ACC by the 2026 season. A lot less people are arguing with me over that but if you wanna argue, argue with your mama.

Clemson probably won't be either.

Florida State will not be in the ACC by the 2026 season. A lot less people are arguing with me over that but if you wanna argue, argue with your mama.

Clemson probably won't be either.
This thing will take a year to figure which venue and two years to try the case.

so what are the bets on who leaves? who gets picked up by SEC and BigTen? who ends up in the Big XII? Does the ACC have a chance of staying? Does the ACC have a chance of stealing from the Big XII since they are getting a couple % more?
The “magnificent 7” as they are being called are supposedly the ones moving on. My guesses/reasons would be:

FSU- SEC, BIG wants a footprint in Florida and FSU would be a great get for the BIG but I think the SEC is going to step in here for its own good and get imo the better brand in FSU and let the BIG have Miami and their market & academics.

Clemson - SEC , Clemson is a good brand and would be a good asset for either of the power 2 but I think Clemson playing SEC schools will bring more eyeballs than Clemson playing BIG schools and I think all parties involved will agree so..

Miami - BIG for reasons above ^ , this move will be good for both parties imo.

UNC- BIG , the SEC would LOVE to have UNC but I think UNC covets the academic (albeit fraudulent , they have been proven an academic fraud recently) reputation and status and… I’m not sure UNC wants any part of the SEC on football Saturdays tbh.

NC State- BIG by way of being connected at the hip to UNC and , BIG gets another huge footprint in another coastal state like they did in California.

UVA - BIG , gets it’s footprint in VA and they get the academics that the BIG likes.

VT- SEC , SEC gets into Virginia , VT gets a huge shot in the arm.

Having said all that, those are the schools mentioned (who knows how true it is really) as the seven who have been examining the GOR for loopholes believing that they have homes in the Big2 waiting for them.
VT may well get left out to dry and Duke may be in play somewhere in all this. They may possibly be a get for the SEC :noidea:

I also believe that Notre Dame will join the BIG for its own survival once this all starts shaking out as well, particularly if the BIG gets FSU, that would be some very seriou$ brand power should they pull those moves off.

As far as the ACC leftovers and Big12, I’m not sure what to expect TBH. I know that a lot of WVU folk would jump at the chance to join even what’s left of the ACC IF the money is similar to what the Big12 is getting them now and you could save some money by reducing some of the travel costs of being in the Big12 but.. no idea what the money would look like after sustaining those kinds of loses by the ACC and not sure how UCF/Cincy feel about that move. It’s going to be a huge financial haircut for the refugee ACC schools for sure. Maybe the Big12 leftovers and ACC leftovers merge :noidea:

Why wouldn't the venue be where the agreement was signed?
Typically the venue is in the agreement. All my contracts specify that disputes will be tried in North Carolina. From time to time a client will insist on their state being where the venue should be. I typically give in on that. I won't be suing - I spent 1.3 million on a suit in 2010, and I don't have the time for that again. If they sue me, I have insurance to cover it so I don't care where the venue is ... that is the insurance carrier's issue.

I can't imagine that venue wasn't North Carolina where the ACC is based. But, venue is important, and FSU will fight for it, as will Clemson. But Clemson clouds the water ... now we have three states involved ... NC, SC, and Florida. At some point the courts will have to decide where the case will be tried - there is just one contract - and I'd bet it will be in NC.

Typically the venue is in the agreement. All my contracts specify that disputes will be tried in North Carolina. From time to time a client will insist on their state being where the venue should be. I typically give in on that. I won't be suing - I spent 1.3 million on a suit in 2010, and I don't have the time for that again. If they sue me, I have insurance to cover it so I don't care where the venue is ... that is the insurance carrier's issue.

I can't imagine that venue wasn't North Carolina where the ACC is based. But, venue is important, and FSU will fight for it, as will Clemson. But Clemson clouds the water ... now we have three states involved ... NC, SC, and Florida. At some point the courts will have to decide where the case will be tried - there is just one contract - and I'd bet it will be in NC.

ACC would have had the venue stipulated as the state most advantageous to the league, which I'm guessing is the state of origin.

A lot of times you'll see these things come up in Delaware courts.

The “magnificent 7” as they are being called are supposedly the ones moving on. My guesses/reasons would be:

FSU- SEC, BIG wants a footprint in Florida and FSU would be a great get for the BIG but I think the SEC is going to step in here for its own good and get imo the better brand in FSU and let the BIG have Miami and their market & academics.

Clemson - SEC , Clemson is a good brand and would be a good asset for either of the power 2 but I think Clemson playing SEC schools will bring more eyeballs than Clemson playing BIG schools and I think all parties involved will agree so..

Miami - BIG for reasons above ^ , this move will be good for both parties imo.

UNC- BIG , the SEC would LOVE to have UNC but I think UNC covets the academic (albeit fraudulent , they have been proven an academic fraud recently) reputation and status and… I’m not sure UNC wants any part of the SEC on football Saturdays tbh.

NC State- BIG by way of being connected at the hip to UNC and , BIG gets another huge footprint in another coastal state like they did in California.

UVA - BIG , gets it’s footprint in VA and they get the academics that the BIG likes.

VT- SEC , SEC gets into Virginia , VT gets a huge shot in the arm.

Having said all that, those are the schools mentioned (who knows how true it is really) as the seven who have been examining the GOR for loopholes believing that they have homes in the Big2 waiting for them.
VT may well get left out to dry and Duke may be in play somewhere in all this. They may possibly be a get for the SEC :noidea:

I also believe that Notre Dame will join the BIG for its own survival once this all starts shaking out as well, particularly if the BIG gets FSU, that would be some very seriou$ brand power should they pull those moves off.

As far as the ACC leftovers and Big12, I’m not sure what to expect TBH. I know that a lot of WVU folk would jump at the chance to join even what’s left of the ACC IF the money is similar to what the Big12 is getting them now and you could save some money by reducing some of the travel costs of being in the Big12 but.. no idea what the money would look like after sustaining those kinds of loses by the ACC and not sure how UCF/Cincy feel about that move. It’s going to be a huge financial haircut for the refugee ACC schools for sure. Maybe the Big12 leftovers and ACC leftovers merge :noidea:

I'd love for you to be right but it sounds like we're up shit creek. Whenever the P2 breaks off (soon), it sounds like we're gonna be stuck in the new FCS (aka the Big 12). FSU, Clem, ND are all top tier bound with UNC and probably UVA too.