Clemson Joins FSU in Suing the ACC To Get Out of Media Rights

so what are the bets on who leaves? who gets picked up by SEC and BigTen? who ends up in the Big XII? Does the ACC have a chance of staying? Does the ACC have a chance of stealing from the Big XII since they are getting a couple % more?

ACC is dead. They should have been active in realignment years ago but its likely too late now. But if I were them, I'd be trying like hell to take the top half programs in the conference, grab the top of half of the Big 12 (definitely make sure to grab the Texas schools for money/ratings purposes), and Notre Dame, cut out every bottom dweller, and pitch the new conference to all the networks as a counter to the P2. It's likely too late but its their only shot at survival. The way it stands now, the P2 will be the new top level of college athletics. One of the ACC or the Big12 will survive (my guess is Big12) as a Tier 2 but it'll be the equivalent of FBS to FCS or P5 to G5.

ACC is dead. They should have been active in realignment years ago but its likely too late now. But if I were them, I'd be trying like hell to take the top half programs in the conference, grab the top of half of the Big 12 (definitely make sure to grab the Texas schools for money/ratings purposes), and Notre Dame, cut out every bottom dweller, and pitch the new conference to all the networks as a counter to the P2. It's likely too late but its their only shot at survival. The way it stands now, the P2 will be the new top level of college athletics. One of the ACC or the Big12 will survive (my guess is Big12) as a Tier 2 but it'll be the equivalent of FBS to FCS or P5 to G5.
too late for all of that

Why wouldn't the venue be where the agreement was signed?
FSU filed in Florida and neither Clemson or FSU want this tried in NC.

I’ve seen legal opinions on this (from attorneys that know what they are talking about) and venue is going to be a huge deal potentially fought in multiple states.

Estimates are it will take a year.

The “magnificent 7” as they are being called are supposedly the ones moving on. My guesses/reasons would be:

FSU- SEC, BIG wants a footprint in Florida and FSU would be a great get for the BIG but I think the SEC is going to step in here for its own good and get imo the better brand in FSU and let the BIG have Miami and their market & academics.

Clemson - SEC , Clemson is a good brand and would be a good asset for either of the power 2 but I think Clemson playing SEC schools will bring more eyeballs than Clemson playing BIG schools and I think all parties involved will agree so..

Miami - BIG for reasons above ^ , this move will be good for both parties imo.

UNC- BIG , the SEC would LOVE to have UNC but I think UNC covets the academic (albeit fraudulent , they have been proven an academic fraud recently) reputation and status and… I’m not sure UNC wants any part of the SEC on football Saturdays tbh.

NC State- BIG by way of being connected at the hip to UNC and , BIG gets another huge footprint in another coastal state like they did in California.

UVA - BIG , gets it’s footprint in VA and they get the academics that the BIG likes.

VT- SEC , SEC gets into Virginia , VT gets a huge shot in the arm.

Having said all that, those are the schools mentioned (who knows how true it is really) as the seven who have been examining the GOR for loopholes believing that they have homes in the Big2 waiting for them.
VT may well get left out to dry and Duke may be in play somewhere in all this. They may possibly be a get for the SEC :noidea:

I also believe that Notre Dame will join the BIG for its own survival once this all starts shaking out as well, particularly if the BIG gets FSU, that would be some very seriou$ brand power should they pull those moves off.

As far as the ACC leftovers and Big12, I’m not sure what to expect TBH. I know that a lot of WVU folk would jump at the chance to join even what’s left of the ACC IF the money is similar to what the Big12 is getting them now and you could save some money by reducing some of the travel costs of being in the Big12 but.. no idea what the money would look like after sustaining those kinds of loses by the ACC and not sure how UCF/Cincy feel about that move. It’s going to be a huge financial haircut for the refugee ACC schools for sure. Maybe the Big12 leftovers and ACC leftovers merge :noidea:
I wouldn’t be unhappy if the SEC sat it out and let the B1G bloat themselves into an almost impossible behemoth to manage.

At the end of the day the allure will probably be too great and the SEC will pull the trigger. I just hope they are exceptionally picky or walk.

I think 4 is the max they should take and my choices would be:

FSU
Clemson
UNC

I’d make a play for ND (sounds crazy but they haven’t joined the B1G and had the opportunity) just to see if it could happen and if not then I take Duke.

I’m sticking with my Duke pick and I’m tired of defending it so anyone that disagrees fine but I want to create the primer basketball conference in the country and control the narrative of all major college sports.

The fact that when this is all over the ACC and PAC will be gone and the B12 will somehow still be standing still amazes me
But it will be standing with 1/4 the revenue per team. Then they'll get poached even worse by teams in the P2. Even the bottom dwellers in the P2 will pluck their best.

They may well end up being the Big East with G5 football teams. I mean wouldn't a kid rather play at Rutgers than Oklahoma State?

Look at the list of Big 12 schools. The Big 12 doesn't have any real measurable separation among the schools. At least as far as drawing viewership which brings increased revenue. IIRC, the only school that drew good ratings was Colorado because of the Prime hype. And how long will that last?

Who would you consider the "top" half of the Big 12 for them to grab?

As far as the remaining Texas teams go, the SEC would have grabbed them if they'd of had enough value.

I’m sticking with my Duke pick and I’m tired of defending it so anyone that disagrees fine but I want to create the primer basketball conference in the country and control the narrative of all major college sports.
Duke doesn't want to be in your Primer basketball conference wet dream, sir

Duke doesn't want to be in your Primer basketball conference wet dream, sir
You've been told before when we are ready for you to have an opinion we will give it to you. Now back in the box gimp.

I wouldn’t be unhappy if the SEC sat it out and let the B1G bloat themselves into an almost impossible behemoth to manage.

At the end of the day the allure will probably be too great and the SEC will pull the trigger. I just hope they are exceptionally picky or walk.

I think 4 is the max they should take and my choices would be:

FSU
Clemson
UNC

I’d make a play for ND (sounds crazy but they haven’t joined the B1G and had the opportunity) just to see if it could happen and if not then I take Duke.

Well it's up to ESPN to decide, not the SEC :whip:

They may well end up being the Big East with G5 football teams. I mean wouldn't a kid rather play at Rutgers than Oklahoma State?

would they? Rutgers is still rutgers no matter how much money the school makes from all this. at least Oklahoma state has a chance of making the playoff

Look at the list of Big 12 schools. The Big 12 doesn't have any real measurable separation among the schools. At least as far as drawing viewership which brings increased revenue. IIRC, the only school that drew good ratings was Colorado because of the Prime hype. And how long will that last?

Who would you consider the "top" half of the Big 12 for them to grab?

As far as the remaining Texas teams go, the SEC would have grabbed them if they'd of had enough value.

There will always likely be a Big 12 team getting good ratings. TCU got good ratings in their title run.

As you stated though, "How long will it last?"

A team would have to be Big 12 cream of the crop for an extended period.

would they? Rutgers is still rutgers no matter how much money the school makes from all this. at least Oklahoma state has a chance of making the playoff
Should have used the green font.

But, you are discounting NIL and possible future payments from the schools and thinking altruistically. Once schools pay players directly instead of from collectives, that media revenue difference is going to be enormous. Thus Rutgers wins over Oklahoma State or any other school that isn’t receiving similar revenue.

Should have used the green font.

But, you are discounting NIL and possible future payments from the schools and thinking altruistically. Once schools pay players directly instead of from collectives, that media revenue difference is going to be enormous. Thus Rutgers wins over Oklahoma State or any other school that isn’t receiving similar revenue.
in theory. still up to the school to decide how to use the money. do you honestly see a day when Rutgers will in the same conversation as Ohio State Michigan Penn State Wisconsin USC Oregon Iowa in the Big?

And I don’t see that happening. Again, there isn’t a school like a USC, Texas, etc that can bring viewers even when they suck!

Closest thing is Kansas hoops.

in theory. still up to the school to decide how to use the money. do you honestly see a day when Rutgers will in the same conversation as Ohio State Michigan Penn State Wisconsin USC Oregon Iowa in the Big?
Rutgers isn’t in the same convo now, and has never been. But they are getting paid like they are. And even more than a couple of them for a few years.

And I don’t see that happening. Again, there isn’t a school like a USC, Texas, etc that can bring viewers even when they suck!

USC when they suck
empty-la-coliseum-vs-ua.jpeg

There will always likely be a Big 12 team getting good ratings. TCU got good ratings in their title run.

As you stated though, "How long will it last?"

False....

It wasn't just tejas/Oklahoma.

After about Week 4, TCU had Top 10 ratings against everybody they played regardless of how bad the opponent was. Because they became a potential CFP team.