College Football Expansion - Who is Next and Why

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
I wrote this about a week ago and had it published at Rivals. It's been up for a while there so I wanted to share this with this group. A couple of things:

1. Don't @Me with tldr ... don't care. It's long ... 3200 words. That's on purpose. I spent time on it because this type of thing fascinates me, and I was writing all these posts here and elsewhere and it's the way I get my thoughts together. I thought the best way to organize my thoughts was to write an article. If you don't want to read it, don't read it. Some will and I hope we can have some discussions about it.

2. Some people give me shit about writing a lot. I have zero fucks to give. I really don't care if you think I write too much. You can use the Ignore feature and never have to read another thing I write. That's totally cool by me. I respect you if you think I am a moron ... you are in good company starting with my wife.

3. I am going to post some of my follow-up thoughts and posts as well. Let me hear from you. My facts are solid, but I respect some will disagree with my conclusions.

4. Get a cup of coffee.

College Football Expansion - Who is Next and Why

The USC/UCLA move to the B1G has set off all sorts of social media speculation as to who is next. It's complicated by the ACC Grant of Rights (GOR), the idea of expanding outside the conference footprint (sometimes by thousands of miles), and wondering if any of the eligible candidates can actually contribute enough to the conference revenue pie to justify their equal piece. When looking at college football economics, there are three things to look at that drive the value of a potential member - the basic cable market, average TV viewers ("eyeballs"), and the College Football Playoffs (CFP). Let's take a look at these 'Three Rails" of college football economics - Markets, Eyeballs, and CFP:

1. Markets. "Market" was all the rage in the 2007-2014 timeframe when the B1G channel was launched, followed by the SEC and others. Basically, the economics at the time was that if you could get your conference channel included in the basic cable package you got paid a "per-subscriber" fee whether someone watched the channel or not. If the SECN was available in a market where there was an SEC team, the SEC received an "in-footprint" subscriber fee that was greater than the "out-of-footprint" fee received where there wasn't an SEC team. This is why the SEC grabbed Mizzou in 2012 and the B1G grabbed Rutgers in 2014. Expanding the basic cable market in general, and having in-footprint fees more specifically was the goal. The Rutgers acquisition was the gold standard for this type of move when the BTN became "in-footprint" for not only New Jersey but also the entire state of New York.

The problem with this rail of CFB economics is that the market is dramatically shrinking, and geography isn't as important in an ever-growing streaming world. The following are estimates, but fairly accurate. Around 2014 there were about 90 million households with basic cable. By 2027 that number is estimated to be around 40 million - basically more than a 50% reduction in subscribers meaning far less revenue from this economic rail. Cord cutters who don't want basic cable have gone to streaming content like NetFlix and Prime. Those that still want a full line-up of channels can get the streaming equivalent of cable through YouTube TV, Hulu, Sling TV, Fubu, and the like. While the major conference networks are available on those platforms, they aren't geographically restricted. A conference doesn't have to have a team in Los Angeles to get a subscriber fee from ESPN or Fox through YouTube TV. This is why the "LA market" isn't as important to the USC/UCLA move as the other two rails. There is still money to be made, but as detailed in the article below(1) it could be as little as $20 million per year for the LA market which is almost a rounding error in a media package of more than a billion dollars.

With far fewer subscribers and being able to get a fee without being in a particular geographic area, thinking that market component is a big deal is so 2012-ish.

2. Eyeballs. TV viewership is where the big money is right now. How many people watch your games? How many premier matchups of greater than 4 million sets of eyeballs can you get? The idea of the Four Million Club (FMC) was first posited by Andy Staples of The Athletic(2):

What’s the Four Million Club? It’s the group of football games that draw more than four million viewers.

These are the games networks are willing to pay premium prices for, and they’re also the type of games the SEC’s addition of Oklahoma and Texas will add to that league’s inventory. In conversations with television executives and consultants, conference officials and athletic directors, it has become clear that the hunt for premium television product will drive this round of realignment (or, in the case of the alliance, rearranging). So I asked a trusted source who has been involved with many television contracts what audience qualified as meter-moving in this ever-splintering environment, and that source drew the cutline at four million.
(emphasis mine)

It makes sense then that the networks are looking for the matchups that will drive the most eyeballs. Looking at data from 2015-2019, here are some of Staple's observations:

Those five seasons featured 1,593 rated telecasts and dozens more on the ACC Network, Big Ten Network, Pac-12 Network and SEC Network, which weren’t measured for audience size.

Of those, 198 telecasts made it into the Four Million Club. The audience size ranges from massive (16,841,000 for the 2016 Michigan-Ohio State game) to just above the cutline (4,010,000 for the 2015 Louisville-Auburn game). And the conference distribution of the games is quite telling.

• 58 games between either independents or teams from different conferences (including all five Army-Navy games played during that period)
  • 55 SEC-only games
  • 49 Big Ten-only games
  • 13 ACC-only games
  • 12 Big 12-only games
  • Five Pac-12-only games
  • One American Athletic Conference-only game (2017 South Florida at UCF)
The conference difference is stark. But before we show you how it’s about to get even more dramatic, let’s examine how individual teams fared. These 13 schools made at least 10 appearances in Four Million Club games from 2015-19. SEC schools in Bold, B1G schools underlined.

35 Alabama
31 Ohio State
26 Michigan

17 Auburn
17 Notre Dame
16 Florida
16 LSU

15 Clemson
15 Georgia
14 Oklahoma
13 Tennessee

12 Penn State
11 Michigan State

10 Texas A&M

This explains why the SEC accepted OU and UT. Almost all games that include any of the top SEC teams and OU/UT will be in the Four Million Club. This also explains the scheduling moving to 9 Intra-conference (IC) games. Instead of teams playing each team every 6 years, with a 3-6-6 scheduling format (3 permanent rivals, 6 of the other 12 teams every other year), the top teams will play each other annually, or at least every other year. This greatly increases the number of Four Million Club games to at least four times the number of such games prior to the acquisition of OU/TX and the expansion to 9 IC games. The quick napkin math for this is that we now average about 12 of these per year with SEC teams only (there are more with Out of Conference games - OOC). The 8 SEC teams on the list above will now play 3 times more frequently. When you add TX and OU that results in approximately 10 more FMC games per year. That comes close to quadrupling the number of FMC games to almost 4 per week instead of 1 per week.

This is also why the B1G went after USC and to a lesser degree UCLA. While neither of those teams appears on the list above, games like UM v. USC, tOSU v. USC, and PSU v. USC will likely add to the FMC inventory. That said, I believe it also shows why the SEC got the better end of expansion - the new SEC has 8 teams on the most Four Million Club games list, while the B1G only has 4. And neither new team is on the list while OU is and if Texas should be in the future. OU will drive more eyeballs than USC, and UT will likely drive more eyeballs than UCLA, their poor performance over the last decade notwithstanding.

These numbers provide guidance as to who the SEC and the B1G will want to expand with going forward. If they don't draw eyeballs to the TV screen, they aren't attractive. With the "Market" rail shrinking, even a great market like LA won't make up for the lack of having high average viewership numbers.

3. CFP - the College Football Playoff. The third economic rail is the CFP. For the purpose of this section, I am going to assume that CFB will go to a 12-team playoff which means we go from 3 games (2+1) to 11 games (4+4+2+1). That means we will have almost quadruple the number of CFP games. Fortunately, Navigate has done all the math for us,(3) and even if these numbers are not totally accurate, they are close enough to illustrate how this rail will drive expansion:

- The current CFP payout for NY6 bowl games – including the 3 CFP games – pays all conferences $670M per year.

- The new CFP payout for 11 playoff games that also take over all NY6 game relationships in a 12-team playoff pays all conferences $1.9B per year

Navigate notes that "the current model pays 63% of payout to base payments to conferences and the remaining 37% goes towards conferences in NY6 bowls and playoff games" and they assume the same will apply in the new CFP model. To me, that is a conservative assumption because the SEC and the B1G now run college football. If anything, the payouts might be skewed more to the schools in the NY6 bowls and playoff games which will mostly be SEC and B1G schools.

To allocate the non-base payouts, Navigate "looked back at the last 10 years of college football performance and assumed the new proposed 12-team playoff rules are used for participation to estimate the number of teams included in the playoff each year." Again, I think this is conservative based on SEC and B1G dominance. Here are the payouts. Note the dominance of the SEC and the B1G, but also the amount that Notre Dame gets. They are the big fish that is left that would drive a lot of revenue.

2vngWXD.jpg

Anyone who argues the CFP should stay at 4 teams or only go to 8 teams needs to look at the multiplier effect here and know that it is going to be 12 teams and the money it generates.

In looking at the CFP money, with billion-dollar plus media contracts, you can see that the CFP will equal 25%-45% of those packages and one of the major three rails of CFB economics.

What does this mean regarding expansion?

I can't see anyone reasonably arguing that the SEC didn't get the best of the most recent expansion. Never mind the dysfunction that having teams two thousand miles to the west causes. Never mind that UCLA is basically a throw-in. Never mind the "LA Market" - that's the smallest part of the 3 economic rails for CFB. When it comes to what really counts - eyeballs and CFP - the SEC grabbed the two best properties, with only Notre Dame being more valuable.

What about going forward? It is obvious that markets don't matter as much. What matters is eyeballs and CFP involvement. Below are rankings of the 3 economic rails of CFB - eyeballs, CFP involvement, and markets.

1. Eyeballs - looking at potential expansion candidates for the SEC and the B1G, ranked by 2021 average viewer rankings, this is the list with SEC candidates in bold, B1G candidates underlined, and italicized teams for context(4):

6 Oklahoma — 3.46M
9 Notre Dame — 2.84M
10 Oregon — 2.57M

13 Texas — 2.26M
19 Clemson — 1.74M
22 Oklahoma State — 1.58M
25 Florida State — 1.27M

28 Cincinnati — 1.216M
29 UCLA — 1.18M
32 Southern Cal — 1.11M

35 Miami — 1.038M
36 North Carolina — 1.032M

37 Utah — 994K
38 Washington — 985K
40 West Virginia — 948K
46 Stanford — 778K
47 Arizona State — 739K
49 Boise State — 657K

51 Louisville — 616K
52 Virginia — 611K

54 Pittsburgh — 550K
55 Kansas — 540K
56 Wake Forest — 526K
57 NC State — 525K
59 Washington State — 483K
61 Georgia Tech — 459K
62 Virginia Tech — 447K
64 Colorado — 366K
67 Arizona — 337K
69 Oregon State — 321K

76 California — 222K
77 Syracuse — 219K
84 Boston College — 156K

97 Duke — 64K

- Notre Dame and Oregon are the two big ones here. Notre Dame is also on the list of the top Four Million Club teams, while Oregon isn't.
- Some of the best geographical matches for the SEC are at the top of those available - Clemson, FSU, Oklahoma State, Miami, and UNC.
- Note Dame and Oregon to the B1G makes sense, and the B1G would likely go after UNC, perhaps Miami. Washington and Stanford are in the top 50, but not great values.
- None of the rest are sure-fire winners based on average viewership or the Four Million Club.

2. CFP Involvement - I compiled the following list of schools that would have made a 12-team playoff if there had been a 12-team playoff from 2012-2021. Again, SEC candidates are in bold, and B1G candidates are underlined, and italicized teams for context:

10 Alabama
9 Ohio State

7 Clemson
7 Oklahoma
6 UGA

5 FSU
5 Oregon
5 Notre Dame

4 Florida
4 LSU
4 PSU

4 Stanford
4 Wisconsin
4 Baylor
4 Michigan State
3 Boise State
3 Kansas State
3 TCU
3 UCF

3 Washington
2 Auburn
2 South Carolina
2 Texas A&M
2 USC
2 Cincinnati

2 Oklahoma State
2 Ole Miss
2 Utah
1 Arizona
1 Arkansas
1 Coastal Carolina
1 Colorado
1 Houston
1 Indiana
1 Iowa
1 Iowa State
1 Memphis

1 Miami
1 Miss State
1 Missouri

1 UNC
1 Northern Illinois
1 Western Michigan
1 Pittsburgh

- Once again, some of the best geographical matches for the SEC are at the top of those available - Clemson, FSU, Oklahoma State, with Miami and UNC at least on the list.
- Notre Dame and Oregon are on the list for the B1G, but I think we can somewhat discount Stanford and Washington as having been early in the date range and not as recently relevant.
- Clemson, FSU (even though they have dropped off), Notre Dame, and Oklahoma State are the most attractive here.

3. Market - while it doesn't matter as much, it does matter some. Looking at the top 100 Media Markets in the US(5) with SEC candidates in bold, B1G candidates underlined, and italicized teams for context:

2 Los Angeles - USC, UCLA
6 San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose - Stanford, Cal
8 Atlanta - GaTech

9 Washington, DC - UVa, VaTech
12 Phoenix - Arizona schools
14 Seattle-Tacoma - Washington
16 Miami-Ft.Lauderdale - Miami
18 Denver - Colorado
22 Portland, OR - Oregon
23 Pittsburgh - Pitt
27 Raleigh-Durham - UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake
31 Kansas City - Kansas
33 Salt Lake City - Utah
34 Cincinnati - Cincy

38 West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce - Miami
43 Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News - UVa, VaTech
45 Oklahoma City - OkSU
46 Greensboro-High Point-Winston-Salem - UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake

49 Austin - UT
50 Louisville - Louisville
58 Richmond-Petersburg - UVa, VaTech
61 Tulsa - OkSU

65 Charleston-Huntington - WVU
67 Roanoke-Lynchburg - UVa, VaTech
68 Tucson - Arizona schools
81 Syracuse - Syracuse

89 South Bend-Elkhart - Notre Dame
92 Tri-Cities, TN-NC-VA - UVa, VaTech

- The PAC schools to the B1G get a boost here with the 2nd, 6th, 14th, and 22nd largest markets.
- Miami and the North Carolina schools get the next best of the markets with Miami at 16th and 38th, and the NC schools at 27th and 46th.
- I am discounting the Virginia schools because I believe the north Virginia markets are more of a melting pot or lean Maryland, and not UVa or VaTech.

What are the SEC and B1G going to do? With the ACC Grant of Rights (GOR), and the fact that neither the SEC nor the B1G want to be involved in litigation, I think the ACC will be off-limits until 2033-ish. Also, each new team needs to bring in $100 million or more in value and I can't really see that happening with many of the teams available. But let's assume that isn't the case and the ACC can be plundered, and that each new team will bring in revenue to earn their share of the pie, or the long-term outlook of more teams and larger conferences allow the conferences to bring in more money in the future.

I have seen some predictions that the two conferences will expand to 24 teams, with four divisions of 6 teams, and then a conference championship with the top 4 teams. I don't agree.

- Having the 4 division champs play each other causes the same problem we see in the SEC West and the B1G East where you have 2 or more of your better teams in a single division. You want your playoff to be the four best teams. I believe that lesson has been learned already and that's why conferences are moving away from divisions.

- I see the survivor/remnants of the PAC/B12 staying relevant enough, along with the G5 that we aren't ready to go fully to an SEC/B1G-only playoff. A lot of the economic value in expansion is in the CFP and I believe that will preclude conference playoffs leading to a final championship game for now.

- I just don't see 16 teams (8 for each conference) that are valuable enough to get them to 24. Getting to 20 or 22 and not losing per team share value will be hard enough.

If you look at all the 3 rails of CFB economics, I believe that a 20 or 22-team conference is most likely and best.

- I believe that each conference can find 4-6 more teams that would be worth their share of the pie in the long term. It's certainly easier and more likely than finding 8 teams each.

- A 20-team conference allows you to have a 4-5-5-5 format for scheduling, while a 22-team conference allows you to have a 3-6-6-6 format. Both are 9 IC schedules that allow for the traditional year-end OOC rivalries (although some will now be IC games), and other great OOC games that will dramatically increase the Four Million Club. You then get the 3 or 4 permanent rivalries, and then play each of the remaining 15 or 18 teams once every 3 years. That frequency isn't as good as every 2 years but will be necessary with expansion. Between the two, the 20-team format allows you to go to a 4 permanent rival format which is arguably better than 3. For example, UGA could have UF, Auburn, and South Carolina - a popular selection in the 3-6-6 format - but then add Clemson. This would create even more Four Million Club games as you would get Bama v. LSU annually (an annual game that is lost in most 3-6-6 mock schedules), and the OU/TX/ATM group could play annually. Because you are adding 4 more teams to the mix, it would allow them to be injected into logical rivalry groups without losing any of the rivalries that exist in the 3 rivalry format. It's really hard to justify the economics of adding 8 teams while adding 4 or 6 is likely doable and greatly increases premier game inventory.

I am torn between the two. I like the flexibility that the 4 permanent rivalry format provides. And I am not confident the economics are there for finding 6 more teams. The SEC is more likely able to do it than the B1G. But getting down to just 4 more teams leaves out some teams that would be logically good fits for the SEC. With that in mind, let's take a crack at the teams that each conference may choose:

SEC: will stay within their existing footprint, or states contiguous thereto.
22 Teams:
Clemson
FSU
Miami
UNC
Oklahoma State
One of Lousiville, Duke, UVa, or Kansas (that's my order of preference)

20 Teams:
Clemson
FSU
Miami
UNC
First team out: Oklahoma State

B1G: will have to create a west division for travel and non-football sports, but will also go after some of the ACC schools.
22 Teams:
Notre Dame
Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Cal or Colorado
UNC
One of Duke, UVa, Miami, or Kansas

20 Teams:
Notre Dame
Oregon
Washington
UNC

A lot of what constrains the B1G is the fact they have already committed to the west, and the fact that they have an academic profile they don't seem to want to waiver on - AAU schools that bring in big research dollars. That really "means more" to the B1G. If the B1G doesn't want to go out west more, then there is going to be a heck of a fight over the ACC teams like UNC, Miami, and UVa.

If this works out this way, the SEC will move ahead of the B1G by a decent but not daunting margin. The B1G will be fine with that as they count their research dollars.

References:

(1) An article that explains this and gives some monetary numbers for the LA market: Adding USC and UCLA could be huge for Big Ten Network

(2) https://theathletic.com/2772414/202...d-pac-12-its-all-about-tvs-four-million-club/

(3) https://athleticdirectoru.com/artic...n-expanded-college-football-playoff-generate/

(4)

(5) Top 100 Television Markets - Station Index

I was asked if I thought the B1G and SEC would just do their own 8 team CFP if they grow to 20 teams each:

I have no inside knowledge. I am just an idiot with an irrational zeal for this and CFP expansion. As @BaileyDawg79 said above "[you] should all find something [you] love the way @LawDawg86 loves conference expansion."

That said, my gut is that I can't see it getting to anything over 20 or 22. I know a lot of people are saying "it's going to get huge" but no one can show an economic model that makes sense. Markets aren't going to change, only shrink. Eyeballs are eyeballs and there aren't just very many more teams that make for compelling games. Think about it ... we are talking teams like Clemson, FSU, Miami, and Oregon that people want to watch. Beyond that even teams like UNC and Washington don't have that many viewers. Even with a 12-team CFP, how many will make multiple appearances that aren't already in the SEC and B1G?

Once you think through that and you realize those 16 x 2 teams are going to be making $110 million each year, what team can move the needle enough to justify a full share? There just aren't many if any. I think the whole thing runs out of revenue at about 20-22 teams each. To your question that means there will be a lot of somewhat viable teams to keep the B12/PAC and maybe the ACC and some G5s good enough to get a CFP slot. It is certainly more interesting to have teams from those other conferences. But with so much less money will they stay at the current talent level? So that won't happen, IMO, until he major split in sports actually happens. To wit:

ND's AD had an interesting interview with SI in which he said Division I will spilt in the mid-30s. I think his point is that the weight of the financial differences will be so great that there will have to be a split, much like the P5/G5 but further down. If you go with my 20-22 teams, it would be the top 44+1 teams, the rest would be in other G5 like conferences. There would be a small number of schools that would really get screwed - Baylor, OkState, VaTech, NCSU who can't get to the $110, but are also above G5. But schools like Kansas, Pitt, WashState, and the like just don't fit. The lucky ones will be the Vandy's and NWs who are in and probably shouldn't be.

www.si.com

Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick says total Division I realignment is ‘inevitable’ - Sports Illustrated

Wholesale change is unavoidable in college athletics. The Fighting Irish athletic director thinks a total realignment of Division I is coming with it.
www.si.com
www.si.com

As I wrote this as a Vandy grad one thing that I thought about was this scenario:

- Football splits out from all other sports ... the SEC and the B1G are the conferences, but you can be in either for all sports or all sports and not football.

- Vandy could then join a league for football only that might be comprised of Vandy, Wake, the Armed Forces, Standford, Cal, NW, Duke, and the like. The Brainiac Conference. I might actually go to some of those games and pull for Vandy. Today I couldn't care less about Vandy football. I couldn't name a single player on the team.

I see all sorts of issues with this, the main one being that football revenue drives all of the others sports so does that hurt Vandy baseball and basketball. But it would be a way for Vandy to stay in the SEC for some sports, just not football.

I was asked what hoops might have to do with it, and how I thought it would end.

I think the SEC stands pat.

As for your teams - UVA, UNC, Duke, VT, Clemson, FSU. Oklahoma State - I am with you on UNC, Clemson, FSU and OkSU as long as they generate $110 million in 2027 revenue. From the numbers I put in my article they might, but I dont' have that type of data. I am pretty confident that UVa, VT and Duke can't come close to generating the revenue that would be needed. The Virginia market isn't good enough, and the SEC would have the Triangle market with UNC. None of those teams have eyeballs for CFP impact. None of them would generate a Four Million Club game on their own ... not even come close.

I don't know anything about hoops economics. You will notice that my 22nd team in that scenario would be a hoops team. Louisville makes the most sense because they have better, although not great, eyeball numbers and have been competitive in the past. And they have the highest hoops numbers. Even the total numbers those schools generate - 28-48 million - don't come close to the $100+ million impact they have to have (that's really comparing apples and oranges, but still not enough). I am sure this is more complex than I am looking at it, but I really don't think hoops comes into it unless there is money I don't see.

If money were not an issue, and we had to get to 22, I'd select:

Clemson - I hate them and would love to beat them annually.
UNC - I live 20 minutes away and would love to go to SEC games there.
UVa - fall trips to Charlottesville would be awesome.
Duke - for basketball
FSU - so they could beat UF every year
NCSU - having all 3 triangle teams in the SEC would be awesome for me as I live 14-25 minutes from all 3 schools.

But I am being selfish and that wouldn't make for a better SEC, and money not only counts, it's the only things that appears to count.

Great post. A lot to digest here.

All rumor are pointing to realignment slowing down for a while. Pac12 leftovers tend to be staying put. Big12 will go back to 12 teams.

Keep your eyes on the ACC, do they try to poach to improve their contract? Best fits seem to be Notre Dame and West Virginia but ND doesn't seem likely.

I was asked about Divisions and what would happen if the CFP stayed at 4, and what the other conferences might do:

Good stuff. One of the main assumptions has been a 12-team CFP. The numbers I listed for the CFP are for 11 games. Candidly, if they stay at 4, it would be idiotic to take expansion further. It's hard enough now to get into the CFP. Add OU, TX, Clemson, FSU, Miami, and OkSU it's way tougher.

I think the B12 should have a mini playoff. If I were their new commissioner, I'd go and get the two AZ schools, Colo, Utah and maybe WashU and Oregon. I'd play a 9 game IC (4-5-5-5), with two OOC. For the 12th game I would have my 1 v. 4 and 2 v. 3, with the two winners playing in the CCG. In the 12th week, teams 5-20 would face off against each other - 5 v. 6, 7 v. 8, and down the line. They have to do something to draw eyeballs and that's the best I can think of. They only will have 1 teams getting into the CFP, so that shouldn't hurt their chances.

The SEC would only go to a mini CFP if they can't get the other conferences to do CFP right, or if we get to a point to where it is just two conferences. Even then I am not sure it's a great idea as the SEC has had 2 teams in the NC finals 3 times. Why eliminate one of your teams?

I was asked how basketball schools could influence this - we've had some good posts here about this, IMO:

I don't really know, but don't think so. Remember that March Madness is run by the NCAA while the CFP is run by the CFP. Here is how money is earned.

www.sportico.com

March Madness Daily: How Much is an NCAA Tournament Win Worth?

March Madness is the NCAA’s biggest money maker, but it’s also lucrative for conferences. That’s because the NCAA bases certain aspects of its annual distributions calculations on basketball perfor…
www.sportico.com
www.sportico.com
It doesn't look like a team like Duke could make enough in any one year (it's actually a rolling 6 year total) is enough to make more than $5-$10 million per year. When you see articles that say a team like Louisville made $48 million, that's the school's money, not the conference.

A good thing to look at is Notre Dame in that they don't play football in the ACC but do play basketball and other sports. Hoops is by far the most valuable of the other sports. ND gets 1/5 of a full share from the ACC's distribution to all schools. Napkin math says that if the SEC is getting $100 million each, only $20 million, at most, is attributable to all other sports. So bringing someone in for basketball doesn't seem to make financial sense.

www.dailypress.com

Notre Dame merits its full share of ACC Network revenue

Fighting Irish receive one-fifth of a full share of ACC's guaranteed TV money
www.dailypress.com
www.dailypress.com

I posted this as a follow-up - I may have posted this here, too, but will do so again in the context of the original article:

A recent CBS Sports article has at least 2 quotes that support some of what I have stated here. Not bragging - a lot of others have said the same thing - but Dennis Dodd is well connected and it's interesting to see high level people validating some of what we have been assuming:

As to the ACC GOR - One industry source said it might take $500 million for a school to exit the ACC given the league's ironclad grant of rights that keeps schools in the conference until 2036. You can buy a lot of superstar coaches, $1 million coordinators, facilities and swag copters for that kind of money.

As to whether others will get added, I stated that it wasn't just the GOR, it's that once you get past ND there just aren't a lot of teams that can move the needed to $100+ million dollars to justify their piece of the pie. Here is what Dodd wrote - Oregon and Washington are the two best football programs "in play" considering the Pac-12 is down to 10 teams; however, there is a reason they haven't been considered prominently in realignment. Industry sources say neither brings requisite value to the Big Ten ($80 million-$100 million per year). The Pac-12 schools most prominently mentioned for the Big 12 are the so-called "Four Corners" schools: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah.

All the people saying we are going to 24-team super conferences are just ignoring the economics of expansion. The SEC and the B1G aren't going to add just to add, or because some other teams are going to be irrelevant, or because it would be cool to have this team or that team in the league. At the end of the day this is about money, and if you can't bring in your share, they the other schools have to give up part of their share. They won't voluntarily do that.

We know that ND would move the needle ... everyone is taking that call. Beyond that, do Clemson, FSU, Miami, OkSU or UNC move the needle? I don't think they do if Oregon doesn't. I think we are done for now because of the GOR and because the existing teams are making or are going to be making so much. At the end of the day I think that is good for college football, especially if the ACC and B12/PAC can figure out how to make more moeny, closer to the SEC and the B1G.

www.cbssports.com

Conference realignment: Phil Knight resorts to cold calling for Oregon as Pac-12, Big 12, ACC seek lifelines

Resolution may come sooner than later with some well-known programs unfortunately being left out in the cold
www.cbssports.com
www.cbssports.com

Great post. A lot to digest here.

All rumor are pointing to realignment slowing down for a while. Pac12 leftovers tend to be staying put. Big12 will go back to 12 teams.

Keep your eyes on the ACC, do they try to poach to improve their contract? Best fits seem to be Notre Dame and West Virginia but ND doesn't seem likely.
I've read a portion of this article somewhere else, I remember it. Wasn't here though and not Rivals either. Wasn't aware if was from our very own @WhosYourDawggy

I think it's ACCs only desperate last chance do keep up. I honestly don't have a clue who they might get that would be willing to sign that GOR to get in. WVU or Navy Maybe?

Why join a sinking ship, though? Maybe a step up in money for some out there but it is only temporary and they have to know the conference days.might be numbered.

I've read a portion of this article somewhere else, I remember it. Wasn't here though and not Rivals either. Wasn't aware if was from our very own @WhosYourDawggy

I think it's ACCs only desperate last chance do keep up. I honestly don't have a clue who they might get that would be willing to sign that GOR to get in. WVU or Navy Maybe?

Why join a sinking ship, though? Maybe a step up in money for some out there but it is only temporary and they have to know the conference days.might be numbered.

ACC is still the strongest of the rest. West Virginia would join the ACC in a heart beat and frankly belongs in the ACC with its other rival teams.

After West Virginia, not many teams make sense from the ACC unless they just go bold and add Pac12 teams like Oregon and Washington. I hope they stop calling themselves ACC at that point.

@WhosYourDawggy,

One item that you and I have disagreed on is Basketball. I still think there is value for a league like ACC to get Kansas.

The Big East built a league geared for Basketball and there are doing fine. Don't underestimate a team like UNC wanting to just get out of the football drama and build a Basketball-focused league with some of the current ACC Basketball Powers: Duke, NC State, Wake, Syracuse, etc. and adding Kansas as well as other Basketball-focused leagues.

I was kind of expecting Big12 to go that route when OU and Texas left.

Think of it this way, jumping into a Basketball-focused league is like jumping into a smaller industry.

It is like agreeing to become a car seat manufacturer instead of focusing on making full cars. You can still be profitable, it won't be as much as a car but perhaps the lower focus might put you in a better situation to make money. This is exactly what the Big East is right now. You don't hear about them during Football season but come March, they have 4-7 teams competing in March Madness and many of them like Villanova, Butler, Xavier, Creighton, Seton Hall, etc. are household names.

@WhosYourDawggy,

One item that you and I have disagreed on is Basketball. I still think there is value for a league like ACC to get Kansas.

The Big East built a league geared for Basketball and there are doing fine. Don't underestimate a team like UNC wanting to just get out of the football drama and build a Basketball-focused league with some of the current ACC Basketball Powers: Duke, NC State, Wake, Syracuse, etc. and adding Kansas as well as other Basketball-focused leagues.

I was kind of expecting Big12 to go that route when OU and Texas left.

Think of it this way, jumping into a Basketball-focused league is like jumping into a smaller industry.

It is like agreeing to become a car seat manufacturer instead of focusing on making full cars. You can still be profitable, it won't be as much as a car but perhaps the lower focus might put you in a better situation to make money. This is exactly what the Big East is right now. You don't hear about them during Football season but come March, they have 4-7 teams competing in March Madness and many of them like Villanova, Butler, Xavier, Creighton, Seton Hall, etc. are household names.
When I wrote that article, you will note that I have Kansas in a group of hoops schools that might be used to get the SEC or B1G to 22. They would need 6 schools and candidly beyond 4 I am not sure any pay their own way. I thought there might be a hoops angle that would work. Plus, as I have written here, you may want a sacrificial lamb so all the new teams aren't great. That would only work if they contributed in a different way.

But, I did some basic research on how much basketball schools make for the conference (that's a way different thing than what they make for themselves) and just isn't ver much.

To take your Big East example, look at their annual distributions. They are under $10 million. Look what ND gets from the ACC which is not for football. It's about $12 million. It's just not much money the way March Madness works. And, man, does Kansas football suck, except for Texas.

I have a brother and nephew who went to UVa and my youngest goes to UNC-Chapel Hill. I live in the Triangle, the heart of the ACC. As I've told you, lots of friends that went to Tech. I really would love to see the ACC make it. I don't know what they need to do ... getting FSU and Miami back to Clemson levels so you have 3 top teams, and then maybe UNC and NCSU make some noise. Not sure that will impact the money, but it would be great if it could. Perhaps getting 3 teams into the CFP would make a difference. Looking at that chart, getting 3 in regularly could add couple hundred million. That's outside the TV contract. I really like the idea of 4 conferences ... the B12, ACC, SEC and B1G ... all about 16ish teams. Playing 3-6-6 formats, and great OOC games.

One thing I've written about that may be coming true at some level is parity driven by NIL. Too early to tell, but ATM, Louisville, UTjr and some other teams are grabbing some better players. Not sure it will lead to a natty, but just better teams to fill out the 12 team format.

Is there something special about 4 million; a breakover point in Dollars or something
Per the Athletic, quoted above:

So I asked a trusted source who has been involved with many television contracts what audience qualified as meter-moving in this ever-splintering environment, and that source drew the cutline at four million. (emphasis mine)

This has been echoed ever since. I believe this is the inventory that the TV networks are looking for and explains UT/OU/USC.

You can see who got these in 2021 here ... kind of fun to scroll through this:

I have a brother and nephew who went to UVa and my youngest goes to UNC-Chapel Hill. I live in the Triangle, the heart of the ACC. As I've told you, lots of friends that went to Tech. I really would love to see the ACC make it. I don't know what they need to do ... getting FSU and Miami back to Clemson levels so you have 3 top teams, and then maybe UNC and NCSU make some noise. Not sure that will impact the money, but it would be great if it could. Perhaps getting 3 teams into the CFP would make a difference. Looking at that chart, getting 3 in regularly could add couple hundred million. That's outside the TV contract. I really like the idea of 4 conferences ... the B12, ACC, SEC and B1G ... all about 16ish teams. Playing 3-6-6 formats, and great OOC games.

One thing I've written about that may be coming true at some level is parity driven by NIL. Too early to tell, but ATM, Louisville, UTjr and some other teams are grabbing some better players. Not sure it will lead to a natty, but just better teams to fill out the 12 team format.

One thing that might also help but is probably impossible would be to have Boston College, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse make some noise. All three programs are in that Northeast corner of the country that has the most people in the United States but rarely gets any love with College Football.

That was a lot.

but I don't agree with the "market" idea that it's shrinking. People are cutting cable, and then going to things like Hulu or YoutubeTV and they're now bundling ESPN into those just like anything else. Hell, ESPN+ has now bundled in with my Verizon bill. There was a time when the ala carte model might have meant huge problems for ESPN, and other sports networks, but I don't think that's true anymore because the ala carte model went away real quick. And they ARE geographically matched. I don't have the same YouTubeTV channels that someone in California has; especially local channels. When you log into a new location and it senses you're not at your home, it will even prompt you "are you visiting or did you move?". You can say you are visiting and have that channel lineup for 30 days only. So I think this point is just wrong. Markets are important and you better believe it was the driving force for the B10 adding UCLA and USC; now basically controlling the LA, Midwest and NY markets.

That was a lot.

but I don't agree with the "market" idea that it's shrinking. People are cutting cable, and then going to things like Hulu or YoutubeTV and they're now bundling ESPN into those just like anything else. Hell, ESPN+ has now bundled in with my Verizon bill. There was a time when the ala carte model might have meant huge problems for ESPN, and other sports networks, but I don't think that's true anymore because the ala carte model went away real quick. And they ARE geographically matched. I don't have the same YouTubeTV channels that someone in California has; especially local channels. When you log into a new location and it senses you're not at your home, it will even prompt you "are you visiting or did you move?". You can say you are visiting and have that channel lineup for 30 days only. So I think this point is just wrong. Markets are important and you better believe it was the driving force for the B10 adding UCLA and USC; now basically controlling the LA, Midwest and NY markets.

Not sure I agree. I have YTTV and recently moved across the country. The only thing that changed was it gave me the local CBS, FOX, NBC affiliates. With cable on the west coast, I only got the PAC 12 Network in the standard package, I would have had to pay extra to get the ACC, Big Ten or SEC Networks. I believe that if you live in one of the states or media markets, the package is included in the package. That's why expanding your footprint and capturing media markets is financially beneficial. The networks would get paid more to have their content included in a standard cable package.

As for YTTV, it seems like the sports channels are all available to me regardless of location. When I lived in Oregon I got the SEC, ACC and Big Ten networks. When I moved to the East Coast, I got the same networks. Streaming is clearly moving in a direction where eyeballs matter more than markets.

That said, despite the "cut the cord" movement, cable isn't dead and markets still matter and will continue to matter. But it's fair to suggest that their influence is on the decline.

Not sure I agree. I have YTTV and recently moved across the country. The only thing that changed was it gave me the local CBS, FOX, NBC affiliates. With cable on the west coast, I only got the PAC 12 Network in the standard package, I would have had to pay extra to get the ACC, Big Ten or SEC Networks. I believe that if you live in one of the states or media markets, the package is included in the package. That's why expanding your footprint and capturing media markets is financially beneficial. The networks would get paid more to have their content included in a standard cable package.

As for YTTV, it seems like the sports channels are all available to me regardless of location. When I lived in Oregon I got the SEC, ACC and Big Ten networks. When I moved to the East Coast, I got the same networks. Streaming is clearly moving in a direction where eyeballs matter more than markets.

That said, despite the "cut the cord" movement, cable isn't dead and markets still matter and will continue to matter. But it's fair to suggest that their influence is on the decline.
But the markets are still important even in the scenario where you get the channel no matter where you live. For one, markets dictated that in the first place. There's a reason B10 network is included and the ACC or Pac12 networks weren't. And nabbing the LA market, by all accounts, is going to increase the money the B10 is able to get in the upcoming TV deal. And that's not much different than it was with ESPN/CBS/Fox and cable. If you had cable in NYC and moved to LA, you probably still got ESPN or the B10 network.

But the markets are still important even in the scenario where you get the channel no matter where you live. For one, markets dictated that in the first place. There's a reason B10 network is included and the ACC or Pac12 networks weren't. And nabbing the LA market, by all accounts, is going to increase the money the B10 is able to get in the upcoming TV deal. And that's not much different than it was with ESPN/CBS/Fox and cable. If you had cable in NYC and moved to LA, you probably still got ESPN or the B10 network.

For Cable packages, yes. But less and less people are getting cable. For YTTV, every customer gets the Big Ten, SEC and ACC networks regardless of location. Being in the geographic footprint of the conference isn't relevant for YTTV. So they're going to value their inventory based on viewership.