GAME Cotton Bowl: Missouri vs Ohio State 8pm ET ESPN

So I'll say this - Stroud would've been worthless last night. Pat Mahomes would've been worthless. The problem with OSU right now starts with the OL. The fact that michigan only managed 1 sack against us doesn't bode well for them against Bama. Frye is gone, without a doubt, and the portal will be heavily hit.

That said, I think they have far more with Linc than with Devin. The rare shots that Linc had to complete a pass, he looked confident. He doesn't have a rocket arm, but his mobility and poise will go a long way. If we get Will Howard, the odds are we'll never see Linc start a game here, but that's just how it goes. Devin Brown is going to be a great coach some day, but he's not a starting caliber QB.

All told though, my opinion of Day between yesterday afternoon and now has changed dramatically. He has one more year before he's done. New school president (thank God) and a new AD, they have no ties to him. He's been up and down, but last night was an absolute embarrassment beyond anything I've ever seen as a Buckeye fan. Massive changes on the offensive staff have to happen, or a year from now Day won't have a staff of his own.

Not having Harrison obviously hurt, but he won't be there next year either. The Oline wasn't good, you're correct about that. But it's not like Kienholz was a can't miss prospect. I wouldn't be too sold on either of them. If you can get Howard, you should try at all costs. He's pretty talented and has a bunch of experience. I do think you can use him in the run game too, to add an extra dimension.

I'm not sure anyone's opinion should be swayed on a meaningless bowl game. He didn't have the best player in the country, and although McCord isn't great, he's a lot better than the other two guys, at this point in their careers. It's basically a glorified spring game.

Next year will be interesting for OSU. Could be a brand new offense. Henderson and Ebuka returning would be huge. Not sure who all returns on the Oline, but getting some new players might not be the worst thing. As for the D, I saw Hall declared. Any word on JT and Sawyer? Could be a lot of turnover on the roster.

Not having Harrison obviously hurt, but he won't be there next year either. The Oline wasn't good, you're correct about that. But it's not like Kienholz was a can't miss prospect. I wouldn't be too sold on either of them. If you can get Howard, you should try at all costs. He's pretty talented and has a bunch of experience. I do think you can use him in the run game too, to add an extra dimension.

I'm not sure anyone's opinion should be swayed on a meaningless bowl game. He didn't have the best player in the country, and although McCord isn't great, he's a lot better than the other two guys, at this point in their careers. It's basically a glorified spring game.

Next year will be interesting for OSU. Could be a brand new offense. Henderson and Ebuka returning would be huge. Not sure who all returns on the Oline, but getting some new players might not be the worst thing. As for the D, I saw Hall declared. Any word on JT and Sawyer? Could be a lot of turnover on the roster.
Not having Harrison did hurt, but man, when you are getting blitzed on something like 68% of your throws (I believe that was for Lincoln), and your OL is playing like shit, you're basically dropping back and immediately just having to throw it up. My guess is Brown is gone, especially if Howard comes in. Brown's athleticism was definitely exaggerated, and his arm just isn't where it needs to be.

Howard would be an amazing pickup. Not only does he have a lot of starting experience, but his size is a major plus, as is his willingness to run (9 TDs on the ground this year, that was surprising to see). Also, in his two biggest games of the year (Missouri and Texas), he shined his brightest. Both were very narrow losses and he had monster numbers. Getting to play with our WRs will be a major upgrade, but if Frye isn't canned and the OL continues to be a liability, it might not matter.

Hall was always more or less a lock to leave, right there with Marv in that regard. Ebuka and Trey seem likely to return, but we'll have to see if the Cotton Bowl changed their minds at all. On the OL, they lose Matthew Jones for sure. Donovan Jackson can go pro but it'd be idiotic, he needs to come back and have a solid year. He's probably a 5th rounder at best right now. Fryar needs to be moved inside to guard. That said, they have to attack the OL in the portal. That is certainly priority #1. Linc isn't a surefire prospect, you're right, but if were to go through a full offseason with the team (he wasn't an early enrollee last year), we could see some major improvement. He's all-world athletically and can make some really nice throws when he doesn't have 3 blitzers immediately in his face.

I was shocked at the Buckeyes offensive ineptitude even without Harrison and the QB. Even if not as good, their back-ups should have been able to come in and at least be adequate like the Maryland back-up QB.

I was shocked at the Buckeyes offensive ineptitude even without Harrison and the QB. Even if not as good, their back-ups should have been able to come in and at least be adequate like the Maryland back-up QB.
That wasn't on the QBs man. The OL played absolutely horrendous and Day did nothing to adjust. They made some weird ass substitution with two guys in new positions before the game and it showed.

I won’t judge Kienholz on this game, it’s basically the first time he’s played all year and apparently Day gave about every practice rep to Brown and didn’t have Kienholz even remotely prepared to play, so stupid another reason he needs to go his unwillingness to prep backups for action. Injuries REALLY kill us because of that at any position. Zero rotation and zero practice reps of value for anyone but the starters

That wasn't on the QBs man. The OL played absolutely horrendous and Day did nothing to adjust. They made some weird ass substitution with two guys in new positions before the game and it showed.

Day doing nothing to adjust is nothing new. He’s like the Mike Tyson of coaching, once he gets punched in the mouth it’s over. Once things go even slightly off track he goes into a shell and reverts to his favorite plays that never work constantly.

Day doing nothing to adjust is nothing new. He’s like the Mike Tyson of coaching, once he gets punched in the mouth it’s over. Once things go even slightly off track he goes into a shell and reverts to his favorite plays that never work constantly.
Why he thinks Trey is a scatback that needs to run these dumbass east/west plays that go nowhere, I'll never understand. When he went full pussy mode when Brown got hurt, that's really when the game was officially over. Mizzou just started blitzing like crazy and it was damn near impossible for Linc to get into a rhythm. I do really think we might have something with him though. I'm sure Air wouldn't love it if Linc won the starting job next year, but he's got the highest ceiling of the 3 guys that were on the roster this season.

Why he thinks Trey is a scatback that needs to run these dumbass east/west plays that go nowhere, I'll never understand. When he went full pussy mode when Brown got hurt, that's really when the game was officially over. Mizzou just started blitzing like crazy and it was damn near impossible for Linc to get into a rhythm. I do really think we might have something with him though. I'm sure Air wouldn't love it if Linc won the starting job next year, but he's got the highest ceiling of the 3 guys that were on the roster this season.

Our run schemes have always been terrible under Day. Like he does the exact opposite of what he should. He’s got the worst obsession with the long developing crap that rarely works. That and the stretch and pitch type runs to the short side of the field

felt like Day had some weird fixation on running stretch all year

I like Ohio State, I really do. (Said in my best Greg McElroy intonation) :)

They have the talent to compete in and win the SEC in any given year. In the years in which they would win it, they would win CFP Championships too. Their B1G issue is playing in the B1G Slow, running through the crapfest (minus Penn State) and pushing all of their chips into the Michigan Game. NOW, they cannot even beat Michigan.

Just my onion. Who knows, maybe Michigan, Iowa and Wisconsin all win today. Iowa and Wisconsin definitely should win going against teams with an opt out QB - including the Heisman Winner @ LSU. However, if the B1G teams lay an (0-3) egg today, Ohio State seriously needs to consider a change of venue like Florida State.

/ sarcasm

Last edited:
My guess is they'll land Howard, as we previously discussed. I don't think that's an upgrade but I don't think it's much of a downgrade either. The only way they can upgrade with the available guys would be if they land Ward IMO.

And the transfer portal can be hit or miss. For every Nix or Penix, there are guys who transfer in and don't make the impact that people expected.

There's a reason people say that the backup QB is the most popular guy in town. Everyone thinks they'll upgrade when they switch QBs.

And now Ward announced he's going to the NFL. DJU starting to get CBs for FSU. The transfer market is starting to tighten.

And now Ward announced he's going to the NFL. DJU starting to get CBs for FSU. The transfer market is starting to tighten.

I feel like Ward could have used another season in college... but then again, AR15 went in the 1st round in the last draft. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I feel like Ward could have used another season in college... but then again, AR15 went in the 1st round in the last draft.

I agree. I love his potential but he hasn't proven that he's an NFL caliber QB yet. I've heard some rumors that the asking price for him was just too high compared to others in the market.

I agree. I love his potential but he hasn't proven that he's an NFL caliber QB yet. I've heard some rumors that the asking price for him was just too high compared to others in the market.

I don't think he looked that great in conference play? He did have a fantastic game against the Beavers and a pretty good one against the Ducks, but he looked like shit against UCLA and an awful Stanford team. He was a nonfactor in their blowout loss against Arizona. It also took him over 50 pass attempts to crack 300 yards against Cal and Arizona State

Granted Wazzu isn't exactly loaded with talent

I don't think he looked that great in conference play? He did have a fantastic game against the Beavers and a pretty good one against the Ducks, but he looked like shit against UCLA and an awful Stanford team. He was a nonfactor in their blowout loss against Arizona. It also took him over 50 pass attempts to crack 300 yards against Cal and Arizona State

Ward had some great games, as you noted, but consistency was a problem. However, I think some of that was WSU asking him to do too much. IMO they expected him to play Hero ball way too much. I think it would have really benefitted him to play on a better team and learn to play the position the way you need to at the next level. All the physical tools are there for him.

Glad i never even bothered to look for tickets to this turd of a game. Hell, i didn't even watch the game outside of one possession we had right before halftime. That was all i needed to see.

First and 10 from the Ohio St 7 - running play, loss of 3
2nd down from the Ohio St 4 - running play, loss of 3
3rd down from the Ohio St 1 - qb sneak to avoid a safety; saved by a mizzou penalty for a free first down. 3 incomplete passes and a punt followed, their 6th punt of the half.

I knew it would be bad and that 1/2 the team would sit out, but didn't expect them to be completely inept. Fully expect some serious transfer portal action up there to bring in someone to run the offense and hopefully some O-linemen.

Glad i never even bothered to look for tickets to this turd of a game. Hell, i didn't even watch the game outside of one possession we had right before halftime. That was all i needed to see.

First and 10 from the Ohio St 7 - running play, loss of 3
2nd down from the Ohio St 4 - running play, loss of 3
3rd down from the Ohio St 1 - qb sneak to avoid a safety; saved by a mizzou penalty for a free first down. 3 incomplete passes and a punt followed, their 6th punt of the half.

I knew it would be bad and that 1/2 the team would sit out, but didn't expect them to be completely inept. Fully expect some serious transfer portal action up there to bring in someone to run the offense and hopefully some O-linemen.
I'm not sure if it's the OL themselves or if it's Frye's lazy ass coaching. Coach Stud used to catch shit but his OLs never looked close to that bad.