DeBoer Replaces Saban

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
Wow. I heard someone on the inside would get it.

Mighty big shoes to fill.

move-lets-see.gif

That was fast.

Wrong move for Deboer. Too soon.

Why did none of the obvious names not get it? I saw Lanning pulled his name out of the race, but what about the rest?

Hiring the guy Harbaugh beat after beating Bama is an interesting move.

Why did none of the obvious names not get it? I saw Lanning pulled his name out of the race, but what about the rest?

Hiring the guy Harbaugh beat after beating Bama is an interesting move.
Didnt have balls big enough to want to follow the GOAT. Apparently this guy likes a challenge. Loaded roster, mostly 4 and 5 stars to work with. If he assembles a coaching staff like he had in Washington that can get them to play at a high level, this guy might just pull this off. Time will tell, but early returns on him is, he can coach.

Wrong move for Deboer. Too soon.
He was losing most of this team - please confirm UW folks - so this was the perfect time to jump.

Pros:
- Going to Bama
- Avoids the B1G travel BS
- Comes into the most talented roster in CFB
- SEC money
- Better recruiting territory
- Better facilities
- More money in the paycheck

Cons:
- Following a GOAT
- Bama fans are fucking insane
- Expectations are unreal - 10-2 for 3 straight years, CFP, not national title and you get fired
- You have to live in Tuscaloosa

Solid hire all things considered TBH, few want to follow a legend.
Guy has won everywhere he’s been but… we’ll see..

An insecure side of me is wondering if Saban is playing chess while the rest of us are playin checkers. Maybe he stays on juuuust enough to balance out all the new crap that these coaches have to deal with plus still have his time off as needed.

If he is, may it fail miserably :beer2:

Last edited:
Soooooo next up for Washington is?? Grubb? do they go after BigXII guys pitching the B1G move? Leipold? Dykes? Campbell?
Mountain West guys? Odom? Anderson? Brennan?

Huge financials here. Alabama has to cover at least $12.5 million to buy out of DeBoer's UW contract. Since UW was going to double his salary from $4.2 million to $8.4 million, my guess is that Alabama offered him at least $10 million plus the buy out.

Soooooo next up for Washington is?? Grubb? do they go after BigXII guys pitching the B1G move? Leipold? Dykes? Campbell?
Mountain West guys? Odom? Anderson? Brennan?

My short list would be: Grubb, Fisch, Liepold, Klieman, and Odom.

He was losing most of this team - please confirm UW folks - so this was the perfect time to jump.

Pros:
- Going to Bama
- Avoids the B1G travel BS
- Comes into the most talented roster in CFB
- SEC money
- Better recruiting territory
- Better facilities
- More money in the paycheck

Cons:
- Following a GOAT
- Bama fans are fucking insane
- Expectations are unreal - 10-2 for 3 straight years, CFP, not national title and you get fired
- You have to live in Tuscaloosa
All your pro's are pretty spot on.

Cons are really minor aside from one. Following the GOAT is a tall order, but it takes a man who likes a challenge to do this, and he seems like that type of guy.
Insane fans are due to the GOAT and high expectations, so it comes with the territory. If Kirby stays at Georgia for any length of time, Georgia fans will become as rabid. Hell, I see many are already one foot into an insane asylum already and he has only been there a short while.
T-Town is great as long as you live outside the actual city limits. Easy commute, great on game day, and the atmosphere year round is fever pitch about Bama football.

I am excited, but also have reservations on this guy. I want to see what he says when he takes the job, and then see what Spring football looks like with the new staff. I also want to see if he can convince some recent portal players that left to return, and get a major decommit to recommit to the team.