Movie Dune: Part 1 (2021)

It's epic. My biggest gripe is the local theater is closed and my options are two shitty theaters a half hour away or pay AMC ticket and snacks price an hour away so I watched this in my bedroom. This isn't a first watch at home movie. In normal times it makes all the money at the box-office and people with access to IMAX shit themselves halfway through

My advice, if you are like me and in a theatre desert, find a way to watch it on the big screen. If you are debating watch at home or blow $30 for a good movie it's money well spent. This was fucking awesome and deserves to be experienced

It's epic. My biggest gripe is the local theater is closed and my options are two shitty theaters a half hour away or pay AMC ticket and snacks price an hour away so I watched this in my bedroom. This isn't a first watch at home movie. In normal times it makes all the money at the box-office and people with access to IMAX shit themselves halfway through

My advice, if you are like me and in a theatre desert, find a way to watch it on the big screen. If you are debating watch at home or blow $30 for a good movie it's money well spent. This was fucking awesome and deserves to be experienced

Ouch, yeah I can't imagine watching this for the first time at home.

This was pretty fucking sweet. Do NOT watch this on HBO Max. Go to the theater. It is well worth it. This film is gorgeous. I'm not super into the Dune books, just a casual fan, but I loved this. I think my only complaint is I wish it were longer. Its two hours and 30 minutes and I know there's more movies coming, but I wouldn't have minded at all had this been 3+ hrs like the LOTR movies.

Saw it in imax it was good. Would have liked it to dig a little deeper into some different aspects but maybe that will happen if they are able to make more movies or maybe that all just had to get cut from the adaptation.

WB didn't greenlight sequels at first, wanting to see how the first one did, and now its official (even if predictable)

I think my only complaint is I wish it were longer. Its two hours and 30 minutes and I know there's more movies coming, but I wouldn't have minded at all had this been 3+ hrs like the LOTR movies.
This is exactly what I was reminded of last week watching the original! The movie felt like it was progressing normally and then about 2/3 through, it feels like a bunch got cut out and then it's over! wtf? The original could comfortably have been 3 hrs 15 mins. Of course the movie will never do the books justice, but it just felt rushed.

Question: how many creative people from the original also worked on the 2021 film? Does anyone know?

I'm coming to the US and will be in California on the 18th so I'll get to see it in IMAX. It's the first movie in years I've actually been looking forward to and won't begrudge the cost! Can't wait.

This is exactly what I was reminded of last week watching the original! The movie felt like it was progressing normally and then about 2/3 through, it feels like a bunch got cut out and then it's over! wtf? The original could comfortably have been 3 hrs 15 mins. Of course the movie will never do the books justice, but it just felt rushed.

Question: how many creative people from the original also worked on the 2021 film? Does anyone know?

I'm coming to the US and will be in California on the 18th so I'll get to see it in IMAX. It's the first movie in years I've actually been looking forward to and won't begrudge the cost! Can't wait.

I don't think anyone carried over from the originals. It's a tough film to adapt anyway and I understand why the cut stuff from the books (especially some of the political histories, etc) so it makes sense why the film is the way it is. It's a pretty straight forward movie for a person that has no background in anything Dune (books, old movie, whatever). And that's what you need to accomplish when making the movie; have it be good enough for every audience. It's easy enough to follow for people with no background but still plenty of nice things for those that know everything.

And studio wise, I'm sure they got pressured to keep it under 3 hrs. Most studios don't want movies that long because its a big ask of your audience to sit for that long. And usually, they are right. Longer movies don't work more often than not. But in this case, I think it would have worked out better. They could have spent a little more time laying out the Harkonnen's plans, Emperor's plans, etc for example and that would have filled up an extra 30 minutes. That part specifically feels a little rushed. You're not quite sure what the Emperor is even going for. It's just "Ok, Atriedes is in charge now. Emperor said so. But NOPE. He's the Harks again to fight with his blessing because...we might tell you later"

I can't imagine they kept anyone from 35 yrs ago

David Lynch clearly didn't want anything to do with the new one and regrets the original.

No reason to use anyone from the 1984 movie, it you ask me

You know that this is only Part I, right?

here you go, Hammer

I liked it but I liked the 1984 version. If you haven’t seen the new one yet watching Dune 1984 helps understand some of the stuff going on because it was actually a bit more technical.

Anyone read the book(s)?
Funny you should ask

My 11th grade english teacher made her entire class read this, and we all hated it. Spent two months talking about it, had to do group projects based on it...teach was really hard into the Herbert cult.

I don't even recall if I ever actually read the whole thing. I found it incredibly boring, and I LOVED reading other fantasy novels as a teen. To this day I cringe when I see a copy of it in the library or book store. Have never seen the campy 80's movie (I heard you needed to be high to watch it).

Funny you should ask

My 11th grade english teacher made her entire class read this, and we all hated it. Spent two months talking about it, had to do group projects based on it...teach was really hard into the Herbert cult.

I don't even recall if I ever actually read the whole thing. I found it incredibly boring, and I LOVED reading other fantasy novels as a teen. To this day I cringe when I see a copy of it in the library or book store. Have never seen the campy 80's movie (I heard you needed to be high to watch it).
That is soooo much better than having to red Hemingway or Steinbeck. Dune would have easily been the best thing I had to read in high school other than “To Kill A Mockingbird” if they had assigned it.

My snotty English major wife would have hated it so that would have made it even better.

That is soooo much better than having to red Hemingway or Steinbeck. Dune would have easily been the best thing I had to read in high school other than “To Kill A Mockingbird” if they had assigned it.

My snotty English major wife would have hated it so that would have made it even better.
Hemingway was my 8th grade teacher. Also awful.

I've got access to free 4K films so I watched this yesterday.

They have to be setting things up for at least 2 more movies because not a hell of a lot happened.

Interesting and it looked and sounded wonderful but really slow.