Movie Dune: Part 1 (2021)

That is soooo much better than having to red Hemingway or Steinbeck. Dune would have easily been the best thing I had to read in high school other than “To Kill A Mockingbird” if they had assigned it.

My snotty English major wife would have hated it so that would have made it even better.

Hemingway was my 8th grade teacher. Also awful.
I hated the Shakespeare shit.

Steinbeck and Hemingway knew how to weave a tale, just not my cup of tea....but why I gotta talk like some powdered wig faggots from the era when men wore tights?

I grew up with Star Trek. From an early age I loved science fiction. I wanted to be Mr. Spock. Pure logic and analysis without much emotion.

Dune kinda fell in my lap. After reading much Clarke, Asimov, and Heinlein here was a story about a young man coming of age and dealing with much bullshit. I related to Paul Atreides in many ways when exposed to the book. I got lost in all the other books of Dune as well.

Steinbeck and Hemingway knew how to weave a tale, just not my cup of tea....but why I gotta talk like some powdered wig faggots from the era when men wore tights?

I grew up with Star Trek. From an early age I loved science fiction. I wanted to be Mr. Spock. Pure logic and analysis without much emotion.

Dune kinda fell in my lap. After reading much Clarke, Asimov, and Heinlein here was a story about a young man coming of age and dealing with much bullshit. I related to Paul Atreides in many ways when exposed to the book. I got lost in all the other books of Dune as well.
When I was in 7th grade we had to do a book report but got to pick the book as long as it was approved first. I picked a Star Trek novel got it approved and for my report prop did a shadow box of the Enterprise’s bridge. Best assignment ever.

I did not have a teacher who was so in to Steinbeck that they took up half the year going through all his major and minor works, but I wouldn't have minded that. I like a lot of his stuff. Most of my english teachers tried to spread it around to different authors/genres/periods.

But the Hemingway lady and the Herbert crone were insufferable. I was like "do you read anything else???"

I did not have a teacher who was so in to Steinbeck that they took up half the year going through all his major and minor works, but I wouldn't have minded that. I like a lot of his stuff. Most of my english teachers tried to spread it around to different authors/genres/periods.

But the Hemingway lady and the Herbert crone were insufferable. I was like "do you read anything else???"
Yeah...variety is the spice of life.

Over the years I've read other sci-fi peeps like Adams, Pratchett, and a few others.

Always intrigued when someone comes up with a deviation from the well-hammered themes. Not much of those anymore?

Non-sci-fi stuff has to be non-fiction for me for some reason?
Really got off into HST, Zinn and Chomsky.
Dabbled in some Joyce but gave up trying to "get" Finnegan's Wake.

Over the years I've read other sci-fi peeps like Adams, Pratchett, and a few others.

Always intrigued when someone comes up with a deviation from the well-hammered themes. Not much of those anymore?
Loved both Adams and Pratchett, and agree that much of the sci-fi/fantasy stuff out there can be formulaic

This is exactly what I was reminded of last week watching the original! The movie felt like it was progressing normally and then about 2/3 through, it feels like a bunch got cut out and then it's over! wtf? The original could comfortably have been 3 hrs 15 mins. Of course the movie will never do the books justice, but it just felt rushed.

Question: how many creative people from the original also worked on the 2021 film? Does anyone know?

I'm coming to the US and will be in California on the 18th so I'll get to see it in IMAX. It's the first movie in years I've actually been looking forward to and won't begrudge the cost! Can't wait.
IMO, the only way to possibly do it justice would be for it to be a series ala Game of Thrones, just make sure to keep people like D&D away from it.

IMO, the only way to possibly do it justice would be for it to be a series ala Game of Thrones, just make sure to keep people like D&D away from it.
personally I am glad they went the movie route...less of a chance to fuck it up by adding fluff to the story like they did with GoT...but then again, they did GoT without the book series being complete.

but in the later Dune books it is all political...they already have a show like that in Expanse.

I am more happy that they didn't Dark Tower it and completely fuck up any chance of a pert 2.

No matter how you cut it the movie was incomplete and needs at least one more effort to finish it off

Set up the projector and watched in 150 inches rather than on my regular TV. Was pretty good. I don't know shit about the original or the books, so how significant was it that the worm just came up out of the sand and looked at him?

Set up the projector and watched in 150 inches rather than on my regular TV. Was pretty good. I don't know shit about the original or the books, so how significant was it that the worm just came up out of the sand and looked at him?

Infers like with Neo in Matrix that he's "the one".

Eventually Paul gets to ride a worm like the Fremen was doing at the end.

Infers like with Neo in Matrix that he's "the one".

Eventually Paul gets to ride a worm like the Fremen was doing at the end.
CoolDeliriousDikkops-max-1mb.gif

Part II has already been announced, with a release date.

Well I don't pay attention to things like that but was sure I saw above somewhere where it may not happen.

Not that I'd lose any sleep if it didn't.

Well I don't pay attention to things like that but was sure I saw above somewhere where it may not happen.

Not that I'd lose any sleep if it didn't.
I know the books to well. I will wait until.at least Part 2 comes out and watch it complete.

I know the books to well. I will wait until.at least Part 2 comes out and watch it complete.

I never read any after Dune. Started Messiah but stopped.

I'll likely re-watch this one just before Part II...