Electric Cars

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 3,000.00

He's electric.

He doesn't have cylinders.

I remember seeing a Chevy Volt here (WA state) with Texas plates last year. The only way it could get here would be if it was towed behind a RV or otherwise shipped.

I remember seeing a Chevy Volt here (WA state) with Texas plates last year. The only way it could get here would be if it was towed behind a RV or otherwise shipped.

isn't the Volt a hybrid?

I know someone with a Tesla. When they first bought it I thought it was awesome and looked into seeing if this was in fact a type of car we needed to look into when the time came for our next car. Of course when they debuted this thing it was at an acquaintance house at A BBQ, so only a few miles from their house and they had just bought it a few days prior.

Then we went on an out of town trip with them where they drove their Tesla. This was their first time driving the thing more than 100 straight miles and the stress brought upon them for charging it immediately was a turn off for me. They brought the charging cable to try and charge it from the rental houses electrical outlets, but the problem was it took like 2 hours to charge it 1%. We were in an area that didn't have readily accessible charging stations, so they became reliant on this drip charge. They couldn't drive their car anywhere on the trip because they needed to save the charge and also let it continue to charge because they needed enough power to get them home the following day.

They also explained some of the inconveniences they've come to find with having the car for a few weeks. Such as, planning trips and outings based on their electrical charge. How much charge they have, how much they'll have when they get to point B and if it'll be enough to get them back home. Also their planning on what they are going to do the next day via driving and making sure they have enough of a charge.

All in all, after hearing their experiences and seeing their experiences I sort of realized gas powered cars, or maybe a true hybrid type, is best, and all electric just has too many headaches. Also the replacement for the battery is ridiculously expensive.

They brought the charging cable to try and charge it from the rental houses electrical outlets, but the problem was it took like 2 hours to charge it 1%.
I've read 110 = 24 hours of charging
220 = 8-12 hours of charging
480 = a few hours, but who has this at their house.

I see lots of rollouts of electric cars, but I don't see enough charging stations to support them.
Having just put an order in for one a couple weeks ago, I can tell you we don't plan to use the charging stations all that much; if ever. Right now in this phase of electric vehicles I think it's pretty well assumed that most people will also have a gas vehicle for longer trips. But my wife uses her car almost exclusively for driving to an from work, and maybe into Ann Arbor on occasion. All less than about 100 miles in a day. And we're getting a 220 line installed in our garage. So it will always have a relatively full charge in the morning. There shouldn't be much reason to ever visit one of the charging stations. I think the charging stations are often used more by people who don't have convenient charging at home; apartments, townhomes, ect. THAT is really where we need the infrastructure. Private lots/apartments/homes getting the charging systems in place so you only need a charging station in public if you actually are on a longer trip.

I know someone with a Tesla. When they first bought it I thought it was awesome and looked into seeing if this was in fact a type of car we needed to look into when the time came for our next car. Of course when they debuted this thing it was at an acquaintance house at A BBQ, so only a few miles from their house and they had just bought it a few days prior.

Then we went on an out of town trip with them where they drove their Tesla. This was their first time driving the thing more than 100 straight miles and the stress brought upon them for charging it immediately was a turn off for me. They brought the charging cable to try and charge it from the rental houses electrical outlets, but the problem was it took like 2 hours to charge it 1%. We were in an area that didn't have readily accessible charging stations, so they became reliant on this drip charge. They couldn't drive their car anywhere on the trip because they needed to save the charge and also let it continue to charge because they needed enough power to get them home the following day.

They also explained some of the inconveniences they've come to find with having the car for a few weeks. Such as, planning trips and outings based on their electrical charge. How much charge they have, how much they'll have when they get to point B and if it'll be enough to get them back home. Also their planning on what they are going to do the next day via driving and making sure they have enough of a charge.

All in all, after hearing their experiences and seeing their experiences I sort of realized gas powered cars, or maybe a true hybrid type, is best, and all electric just has too many headaches. Also the replacement for the battery is ridiculously expensive.
A few points, I think right now you still need a gas vehicle if you're going to also have an electric. For us, that means my wife's car is going to be an EV and my car will remain a gas vehicle. That is....until charging time get better. The newer Teslas on superchargers can do about 50% in 12 minutes. Just a little better + the additional infrastructure of superchargers in more places would result in a much better experience using EV's for longer trips that isn't quite feasible right now. But in reality, most EV's go more than 200 miles on an 80% charge. So they're perfect for MOST people's every day driving; which is ultimately why we ordered one. My wife commutes 45 minutes every day to and from work. That's about $400 in gas every month. What we save in gas pretty literally will pay for the vehicle. Not to mention all the mechanical failures that occur in normal engines over the lifespan.

Second point, hybrids are just too expensive and will always be. You're essentially paying for two engines/motors in one vehicle. They're great, but really not a feasible way forward, they will always be more expensive because of that.

I see this point about battery replacement all the time. It's a bit like saying you won't buy a gas vehicle because the engine is super expensive to replace if it died. These batteries are rated to have something like 70% of their charge capacity left at 200,000 miles. And beyond that, they have extremely long warranties compared to gas vehicles. GM and Tesla have 8 year, 100,000 mile warranties on the batteries. Point being, if you needed to replace an engine OR a battery on the car, you're probably choosing not to do either of those things and just scrapping the car at that point. People aren't going to be buying a new engine or battery for their cars. And generally bad batteries are probably going to be seen well before their warranty period expires. Now, for used vehicles they're probably going to have to offer something different because I'm not sure someone's going to be buying a used EV with 150,000 miles on it.

Is this thing accurate

We want you to turn off your AC's, but buy an electric car.

The brownouts will be random so make sure your POS EV is all charged up at all times.

The brownouts will be random so make sure your POS EV is all charged up at all times.

But your Ford F150 Lightning can help power your house during the day and charge at night when the need is less.

I see this argument a lot. It's dumb.

You don't typically charge your car during the day. You charge your car at night, when there's the least demand from the power grid. Some electric companies are not only promoting the change to EV's but a tiered power charge rate that you can enroll in, so you get cheaper power at night.

I see this argument a lot. It's dumb.

You don't typically charge your car during the day. You charge your car at night, when there's the least demand from the power grid. Some electric companies are not only promoting the change to EV's but a tiered power charge rate that you can enroll in, so you get cheaper power at night.

Electric cars are dumb.

Electric cars are dumb.
Electric motors are superior to internal combustion engines in almost every single way. The only limiting factor right now is battery capacity and charge times. Electric motors are smaller, have more torque, have fewer parts to break and require less energy to power. And it won't be very long until battery capacities and charge times are to the point where there's absolutely no point in buying a gas vehicle.

Put it this way, a diesel generator used to power electric cars is more efficient and a batter use of our energy sources than all of us driving individual gas vehicles.

Electric cars are dumb.
sign language bullshit GIF