Electric Cars

Trucks will get there but aren't there (at least for towing) yet. And not because of towing capacity but because of range. Electric vehicles are better for towing. Batteries will improve and so will their range.
exactly

and once that is all established, the tech will only get better and better.

exactly

and once that is all established, the tech will only get better and better.
I think people are forgetting that things like the Ford F150 lighting are literally the first generation electric trucks ever in production. I think people need to look back at what at what Tesla has done in 10 years since launching the Model S. Imagine where these cars will be by 2032.

Reactions: ill
I think people are forgetting that things like the Ford F150 lighting are literally the first generation electric trucks ever in production. I think people need to look back at what at what Tesla has done in 10 years since launching the Model S. Imagine where these cars will be by 2032.
exactly

and even the Ford F150 Lightning is pretty impressive already.

as the infrastructure changes and we get more efficient vehicles, things will only improve.

Rex just thinks he needs to do all this now when he doesnl't

One benefit I think people are overlooking is the ability in dead of winter to turn on and heat your car in the garage without opening the garage door. And since the heat is electric, it doesn’t require the engine to warm up to transfer the heat.

One benefit I think people are overlooking is the ability in dead of winter to turn on and heat your car in the garage without opening the garage door. And since the heat is electric, it doesn’t require the engine to warm up to transfer the heat.
Also basically have a means to fill your car up at home. There's no reason you couldn't leave your house with a full "tank" anytime you go out.

Also basically have a means to fill your car up at home. There's no reason you couldn't leave your house with a full "tank" anytime you go out.
That’s why we ordered one. Never visit a gas station (or even charging station) again. To and from work and the only thing we’ll have to service is brakes, shocks and tires.

"I'll keep driving my fake Pontiac LeMans Firebird super coupe and shitty snow plow truck"

Derp

"I'll keep driving my fake Pontiac LeMans Firebird super coupe and shitty snow plow truck"

Derp
Hahahahaha. You know his car is rusty. I’ve never been so sure of something.

...if you've got 18 or 20 hours to charge the thing, or however long it takes to recharge. Also assumes homeowners have garages or carports where they can plug the things in. If you're living in an apartment and/or have street parking, seems like you're screwed.

...if you've got 18 or 20 hours to charge the thing, or however long it takes to recharge. Also assumes homeowners have garages or carports where they can plug the things in. If you're living in an apartment and/or have street parking, seems like you're screwed.
Yes. Apartment living kinda changes the game. But for homeowners it’s perfect. For the charger, both GM and my energy company give rebates to install a level 2 charger for basically free. Cuts the 24/h charge down to roughly 7.

That’s why we ordered one. Never visit a gas station (or even charging station) again. To and from work and the only thing we’ll have to service is brakes, shocks and tires.
But but but

What if you have to drive more than 3 hours?!

You adapt and figure it out. Tesla's fucking tell you when you need to hit a supercharger and when you are near one. It's pretty idiotproof

Not at all. You just pay for a spot with a charger and let it do it's thing.

You are going to keep making excuses, I get it

Yes. Apartment living kinda changes the game. But for homeowners it’s perfect. For the charger, both GM and my energy company give rebates to install a level 2 charger for basically free. Cuts the 24/h charge down to roughly 7.
So if you're wealthy enough to have a house, or appropriately outfitted apartment with garage, then you're lucky. For the 90% of everyone else, you're SOL.
Not at all. You just pay for a spot with a charger and let it do it's thing.

You are going to keep making excuses, I get it
Oh? And how much time and money does "paying for a spot" cost? Once the cost of the car itself is factored in, this seems like a solution only the very wealthy can afford.

I'll believe in electric cars as a real part of the solution, when we stop burning fossil fuels in power plants to charge them. That requires a massive investment in solar, or at least nuclear power, as an interim solution. Until then, it's simply reworking the equation with the same result at the end.

:meh:

But but but

What if you have to drive more than 3 hours?!

You adapt and figure it out. Tesla's fucking tell you when you need to hit a supercharger and when you are near one. It's pretty idiotproof
If they were idiot proof, no one would buy them.

So if you're wealthy enough to have a house, or appropriately outfitted apartment with garage, then you're lucky. For the 90% of everyone else, you're SOL.

Oh? And how much time and money does "paying for a spot" cost? Once the cost of the car itself is factored in, this seems like a solution only the very wealthy can afford.

I'll believe in electric cars as a real part of the solution, when we stop burning fossil fuels in power plants to charge them. That requires a massive investment in solar, or at least nuclear power, as an interim solution. Until then, it's simply reworking the equation with the same result at the end.

More people who don’t use gas means demand for gas is lower, which equals cheaper gas prices for those who can’t get an EV.

Right now with nuclear and renewables a little over 40% of our energy production comes from non fossil fuel sources.