EPL 2020/2021

So I guess no one wants the Spurs job?

Nagelsmann ... no.
Ten Hag ... no.
Rodgers ... no ...lol.

Lampard??

I've looked at this before. The max # of teams EPL can send to champions league is 5. So, if Arsenal were to win Europa and Chelsea win UCL while both being out of the top 4, those 2 plus the top 3 will go to champions league next season. 4th place will go to Europa.

Europa is weird this coming season too. Only 2 spots from EPL will go there: 5th place in league (or 4th if the above scenario plays out) and the winner of the FA Cup. If the FA Cup winner is already qualified for UCL or Europa, then 6th place goes to Europa. In the past, EPL has sent 3 teams to Europa with the Carabao Cup winner (or 7th place) going to the qualifying rounds before group play, which is the stage Spurs got in this season since Arsenal won FA Cup last year.

Europa Conference League - new this coming season and the Carabao Cup winner goes unless they're already qualified for a higher european league. In that case, 6th or 7th in EPL goes. Basically as step down from Europa.

So 7 total teams go to European competition in most normal years. If teams win european tournaments and don't qualify for next season through league standing, that number could jump to 9.
I heard on Sirius that if we were new UCL format with 36 teams Liverpool, Spurs, Monaco would qualify if season ended now. One other team I could not remember.

I heard on Sirius that if we were new UCL format with 36 teams Liverpool, Spurs, Monaco would qualify if season ended now. One other team I could not remember.

Yeah i don't know how the new format is going to affect things. Will need to study up on it. All Spurs can do is try to win as many of their remaining games possible to boost their chances.

Edit: well i double checked and the expanded UCL doesn't go into effect until 2024 anyhow. So Spurs are screwed either way

Last edited:
So I guess no one wants the Spurs job?

Nagelsmann ... no.
Ten Hag ... no.
Rodgers ... no ...lol.

Lampard??

That one is still in the air as a possibility. He accepted the extension offered by Ajax, but that doesn't necessarily mean Spurs have given up on him. Reportedly, the meeting between him and Spurs did not go well and the club backed off the idea of bringing him in.

Graham Potter or Scott Parker appear to be also in the mix. Rumors around Ralf Rangnick too.

Last edited:
That one is still in the air as a possibility. He accepted the extension offered by Ajax, but that doesn't necessarily mean Spurs have given up on him. Reportedly, the meeting between him and Spurs did not go well and the club backed off the idea of bringing him in.

Graham Potter or Scott Parker appear to be also in the mix. Rumors around Ralf Rangnick too.
They should inquire about Jesse Marsh, I know he just took the Leipzig job. But he is a good young coach and has a bunch of experience in the UCL and his teams score.

They gone burn down old trafford.

They should inquire about Jesse Marsh, I know he just took the Leipzig job. But he is a good young coach and has a bunch of experience in the UCL and his teams score.
I am not sure Spurs are an upgrade from Leipzig at this point. Might be a sideways move. Leipzig pretty much a UCL guarantee with their ownership but recently players are slipping away from there: Werner (Chelsea), Upamacano (Bayern), Konate (Liverpool), Sabitzer (Spurs rumored), so we'll see.

They waited for Liverpool to show up lol. Wasn't the Roma game at Old Trafford last week and nothing?
It was, haha they definitely waited for Liverpool.

I am not sure Spurs are an upgrade from Leipzig at this point. Might be a sideways move. Leipzig pretty much a UCL guarantee with their ownership but recently players are slipping away from there: Werner (Chelsea), Upamacano (Bayern), Konate (Liverpool), Sabitzer (Spurs rumored), so we'll see.
The players and the job are still better at Spurs Though. The difference being the competition (IMO) is tougher on Spurs i would argue.

If I was Marsh I’d probably say no and stick with Leipzig. But if I was Spurs id make him say no.

The players and the job are still better at Spurs Though. The difference being the competition (IMO) is tougher on Spurs i would argue.

If I was Marsh I’d probably say no and stick with Leipzig. But if I was Spurs id make him say no.
Red Bull organization is where Marsch has most of his coaching career. New York Red Bulls to Leipzig as an assistant to Salzburg and now Leipzig. So far they have treated him well, but he has been quite successful with them.

Looks like Rangnick is the Spurs man. So is Leicester a better job than Spurs because Rodgers seemed to laugh at the notion of going there? Have the Spurs made any big Transfer splashes in the Transfer Market in recent years? That is why I compare them to Leipzig.

Red Bull organization is where Marsch has most of his coaching career. New York Red Bulls to Leipzig as an assistant to Salzburg and now Leipzig. So far they have treated him well, but he has been quite successful with them.

Looks like Rangnick is the Spurs man. So is Leicester a better job than Spurs because Rodgers seemed to laugh at the notion of going there? Have the Spurs made any big Transfer splashes in the Transfer Market in recent years? That is why I compare them to Leipzig.
Leicester still is not a better job then Spurs. Spurs got Bale back on loan but admittedly they haven’t dazzled with pickups on the transfer market.

You can argue quality on the field, but cmon, it's not even close. Spurs have the resources and facilities to compete with the very best in the world on even footing. Leipzig can only do that when they get an incredible group of young players for a short while until the big clubs pick them apart. Similar to Ajax in that regard. If you're a manager with aspirations of the big stage, you want to be managing a club on this list...should look familiar.

1620050591692.png

Depends on your definition of "big" i suppose. Spurs are rarely ones to splash the cash and overpay for a big name player.

Recent signings for them:

Hojbjerg - 2020 summer window - $15M
Bergwijn - 2020 winter window - $27M
Ndombele - 2019 summer window - $60M
Lo Celso - 2019 summer (permanent 2019 winter) - $27M
Sessegnon - 2019 summer (sent out on loan this season) - $25M

The ones that really hurt are the ones where Levy tried to play hardball on the price and missed out. Bruno Fernandez, Jack Grealish, and even to some extent Paulo Dybala. Ndombele has been their biggest recent signing price wise, though Hojbjerg and Lo Celso have been terrific purchases. Bergie and Sess are young and more for the future.

I don't know where to put it since no Serie A thread but Roma hires Mourinho lol. Desparate times in Italy.

I don't know where to put it since no Serie A thread but Roma hires Mourinho lol. Desparate times in Italy.

His defensive style seems to be the style a lot of teams in Italy like to play.

His defensive style seems to be the style a lot of teams in Italy like to play.
As someone who follows Roma in Serie A, I am both happy and sad about this hiring.

As someone who follows Roma in Serie A, I am both happy and sad about this hiring.

Despite things not turning out the way I hoped they would at Spurs, I still think Mou is a top notch coach. His comments to the media rub players the wrong way if they're thin skinned, but if you're professional in your training and give him your all on the pitch, it's all he ever asks for.

Despite things not turning out the way I hoped they would at Spurs, I still think Mou is a top notch coach. His comments to the media rub players the wrong way if they're thin skinned, but if you're professional in your training and give him your all on the pitch, it's all he ever asks for.
I also think he's a top notch manager, and still effective, but the only issue with him is the same as it's always been, he's not a good fit everywhere. I think he may do ok at Roma for a few reasons.

1) Generally (there are exceptions), Serie A plays more defensively that the PL and most leagues
2) Media, the Italian media can be blunt and harsh when warranted, but they aren't as annoying and instigating as the English media
3) Roma's new owner (American BTW), really wants to make them more competitive
4) Players, in general, players in Serie A don't seem as thin skinned as PL players, specifically English players.

Leicester late season collapse vol 2?

Terrible first half down 0-2 to Newcastle. Should this score hold up, the Foxes are just 5 points ahead of West Ham in 5th while Spurs are 7 back and LFC 8 back, but the Reds have a game in hand.

Leicester's final 3 matches:

@ManU
@Chelsea
v Spurs