EVs, not so cheap to run plus that huge upfront premium!

I've not looked much into hydrogen so I'm not going to say you're wrong. If it's a more viable long term solution and electric is just a meantime stop-gap in the evolution of the automobile then I'm all for it.

Gas has had it's time though. It has served us well in progressing society into the modern world but all good things come to an end. I'll miss it in some ways when it's a relic of the past, but that's life.
I think you are way off here.

I think all of this is pipe dream stuff, and we will never be rid of gas, unless it actually runs out, which guess what? I don't think it will.

Uh...every car company,

Seriously feels like car companies arent even advertising their current lineup anymore.

They are like, "wowowowieeee look at these pre-production EV models that will be available in 2026!!"

Seriously feels like car companies arent even advertising their current lineup anymore.

They are like, "wowowowieeee look at these pre-production EV models that will be available in 2026!!"
Agreed.

No it hasn't retard. I didn't realize you were so dumb. hahaha We don't need gasoline anymore! We will have solar powered jets and wind powered trains! hahaha

We drill and refine crude oil for more than just the gasoline that is made from it. All those other products costs are subsidized through the manufacturing process because we also get fuels from it. When we are not getting the fuel anymore what happens to all those products? They will get more and more expensive to produce or will cease to be affordable to produce now that the need to drill for oil had been eliminated or restricted somehow through some government impossed ban on drilling.

Again....Until such time as they discover a "yet undiscovered" new energy.....gasoline is king and will always be king. Why? Because contrary to popular believe, it's fucking cheap as shit!

Sorry. I shouldn't have tried speaking rationally to someone on the Internet who can't operate a ladder and doesn't believe in the moon landings because YouTube told them not to. That was definitely retarded.

Uh...every car company, politician, celebrity, rental car agency, faggots, hippies, Californian and tech tard on the planet for starts.

That sounds dramatic. I mean I see some of the car commercials of shit that isn't even on the market yet, and see some of the tech videos because I've been looking into them and YouTube keeps flagging them for me to watch..... But I live in Alabama, it doesn't look like I can even rent one if i want according to the local rental chain places, don't follow politics, and don't know any hippies, faggots, or Californians..... Or anyone who actually owns an EV. So maybe... Like I said... That's a left coast thing.

That sounds dramatic. I mean I see some of the car commercials of shit that isn't even on the market yet, and see some of the tech videos because I've been looking into them and YouTube keeps flagging them for me to watch..... But I live in Alabama, it doesn't look like I can even rent one if i want according to the local rental chain places, don't follow politics, and don't know any hippies, faggots, or Californians..... Or anyone who actually owns an EV. So maybe... Like I said... That's a left coast thing.
Winona Ryder Movie GIF by filmeditor

Sorry. I shouldn't have tried speaking rationally to someone on the Internet who can't operate a ladder and doesn't believe in the moon landings because YouTube told them not to. That was definitely retarded.

Yeah well imagine my disappointment in finding out you don't have a fucking ounce of common sense.

GaSoLinE hAs ruNn iTs CouRsE, We dOn'T nEeD iT aNymOrE......derp!

If you only knew how insanely naive that comment was, but alas you are simply not smart enough.

Yeah well imagine my disappointment in finding out you don't have a fucking ounce of common sense.

GaSoLinE hAs ruNn iTs CouRsE, We dOn'T nEeD iT aNymOrE......derp!

If you only knew how insanely naive that comment was, but alas you are simply not smart enough.

That would be naive..... If I had said it. Gas has had it's time in the sun and will one day be a relic of the past. That time is not today and I pretty clearly said that it is a better choice in some circumstances and electricity is the better choice in others. Cool story I guess though. :thumb:. I guess we'll just keep using gas for the next few thousand years since that's what your shitty old truck uses and we can't let whatever retarded politicians you don't agree with have the last laugh.

Gas has had it's time though. It has served us well in progressing society into the modern world but all good things come to an end. I'll miss it in some ways when it's a relic of the past, but that's life.

That would be naive..... If I had said it.

Shut the fuck up stupid!

You have gone beyond what was necessasary to determine you don't have a clue what you are talking about and now you are trying to run away from what you said. Derp! Gas is over! It's the end!

How stable is gasoline?
Gasoline is pretty stable. You can leave it sitting out and it is fine, just degrades into varnish over time or evaporates. Lithium on the other hand burns and creates toxic fumes if it hits oxygen. you don't really get thermal runaway with gasoline.

Without reading I'm sure he took it to the dealer. You aren't getting out of the dealers body shop for under $5k no matter what car you have. Honda wanted $17k for a fender bender my wife had years ago. Took it to Caliber who replaced the bumper and light then paint matched it for $2200. Not add onto that "luxury" and "limited aftermarket parts" and I could see a $40k bill. Would be like taking a Ferrari to the dealer for body damage.

How long does it REALLY take to save money on an electric car? They’re more expensive to buy but supposedly cheaper to run yet experts warn it can take up to a DECADE to break even - as EV drivers say they regret investing​

• Premiums for electric cars tend to be higher than for gasoline models, but maintenance and fuel costs are often lower
  • The car's efficiency and gas or electric prices where you live are crucial factors
  • Motorists can claim back up to $7,500 in tax credits when they buy one of ten new electric or plug-in hybrid cars

The US is in the middle of an electric car revolution. This week, Tesla announced a record surge in sales in the second quarter of the year - delivering 446,140 cars worldwide in the three months leading up to June, outdoing its own prediction of 445,000.

Business has been bolstered in the US by federal tax credits for electric vehicles that have made them more accessible than ever for Americans.

Electric cars are much more expensive to buy, but usually cheaper to run - as maintenance and fuel costs can fall substantially with an eco car.

However experts are warning that it takes an average of six years to break even on a purchase - and it can take up to a decade for the premium to pay off.

Customers are also taking to social media to express their regret at their EV purchase, with difficulties tracking down charging spots and unexpected costs. So how long does it really take to save money on an electric car - and is it worth the price?

They have a real problem unless they significantly bring down the cost of the batteries. They should see some cost reduction just by mass producing them at larger scale but people aren't going to be able to afford $100,000 SUVs and $45,000 sedans. But if Toyota's claims are true and they do have a solid state battery that's cheaper, denser and 700-900 mile ranges...it could change the dynamic.

Hydrogen cell powered vehicles are the future.

Lithium batteries are bombs.

Teslas are self driving crematoriums.

View attachment 103611
Hydrogen isn't the future unless they can figure out how to use significantly less energy producing it than it provides the vehicle using it. It might be the future for like airplane travel? Maybe? But realistically, right now it is more efficient to use that energy to power and electric car than use it to produce hydrogen to fuel a car. And unlike electric cars which require relatively cheap charging stations installed pretty much anywhere where the is a power hookup, hydrogen requires an entirely new nation-wide infrastructure be installed to transport, store and produce the product.

Lithium batteries don't typically explode, their issue is catching fire in crashes; and putting out that fire is a challenge.

This isn't unsuspected. You have an expensive car made in small numbers from a small startup company. So it's unlikely many places even work on Rivian vehicles outside of maybe the dealer. And parts would most likely have to be special ordered and made for you. The reason parts are cheap for gasoline vehicles is they're made in mass and typically multiple vehicles across major brands use the same parts, then you can shop around for repair shops.

Any body work is going to cost out the wazoo, especially on a $100,000 vehicle.

still not sold after reading this

So...if you can actually install one at your home, speed almost never matters to you. We've owned our EV for almost a year now, have 20,000 miles on it and my wife had to go to a fast charger 1 single time (IE, was driving more than ~200 miles with it in a day). BUT I say that while also having a larger SUV for any kind of traveling we do. But in terms of a two car family, an EV for one of the cars absolutely works fine.