TV Series Fallout

I'm a video game player but never touched or know anything about the fallout games. Could I still watch it and enjoy it, or do I need to know some of the game storyline to get the show?
I only played Fallout 1. So, you'll miss out on some easter eggs and inside jokes.

But, otherwise, it's a finely crafted dystopian wasteland sci-fi series.

I only played Fallout 1. So, you'll miss out on some easter eggs and inside jokes.

But, otherwise, it's a finely crafted dystopian wasteland sci-fi series.
Only played 1? Holy shit. I didn’t think you existed.

Once Bethesda took over, the game play absolutely blew up. 3 and NV have a shared engine that is great, but a bit clunky on today’s standards. 4 is really smooth, even if the story isn’t as good as 3 or NV.

Once Bethesda took over, the game play absolutely blew up. 3 and NV have a shared engine that is great, but a bit clunky on today’s standards. 4 is really smooth, even if the story isn’t as good as 3 or NV.
I really liked F1 and all the possible endings.
Just never got around to the rest of the series.

Always heard good things, but I'm more a fantasy type/Wizardry old school RPGer.

I really liked F1 and all the possible endings.
Just never got around to the rest of the series.

Always heard good things, but I'm more a fantasy type/Wizardry old school RPGer.
Have you played Elder Scrolls?

Finished the season 2 days ago and am already thinking about watching it again. Terrific show.

I played Fallout 3, 4, NV, and 76... lots of Easter eggs, especially from 4.

Just gotta point out that New Vegas' developer wasn't Bethesda, it was Obsidian.

Bethesda was just the publisher.

Just gotta point out that New Vegas' developer wasn't Bethesda, it was Obsidian.

Bethesda was just the publisher.
True. But it used the same essential engine as 3, which was my point. And Obsidian is now wholly owned by Bethesda.

Have you played Elder Scrolls?
No, never did that one, but did play Skyrim for a bit.

I'm more of an old school RPG gamer.
Wizardry 6/7, Heroes of Might and Magic III.

Occasionally I'll check out Diablo or Path of Exile for some hack n' slash fun.

No, never did that one, but did play Skyrim for a bit.

I'm more of an old school RPG gamer.
Wizardry 6/7, Heroes of Might and Magic III.

Occasionally I'll check out Diablo or Path of Exile for some hack n' slash fun.
Skyrim is part of the Elder Scrolls franchise.

I ask because Elder Scrolls and Fallout are very similar games. If you liked Skyrim, you will likely like modern Fallout.

started playing outer worlds recently, still early on but I can see the potential here.

started playing outer worlds recently, still early on but I can see the potential here.

I just started playing that a few days ago because it was free on Epic a while back.

I like it a lot so far. My only beef is there is a bit too much dialog for my taste.

The graphics are beautiful.

I played it for a while, but I distracted and never picked it back up. It was made before Bethesda bought out Obsidian, and was essentially Obsidian’s attempt to prove that they can do Bethesda faster and better than Bethesda (they were beating Bethesda’s Starfield to market).

For comparison, Starfield was a HUGE project by Bethesda that took upwards of 10 years to release, and has been pretty universally panned by fans since its release. I dropped it because it got to the point where when I played, I was constantly literally falling asleep when I played. It was just boring af, imho.

I just started playing that a few days ago because it was free on Epic a while back.

I like it a lot so far. My only beef is there is a bit too much dialog for my taste.

The graphics are beautiful.
Free with PS Extra recently, so that's why I picked it up looking for something new to play. I don't mind the dialogue, as half the time I'm doing something else. The times in between action leaves me open to getting wiped out quickly in some spots, but no worries.

I'm a video game player but never touched or know anything about the fallout games. Could I still watch it and enjoy it, or do I need to know some of the game storyline to get the show?

No. It's done in a way that anyone can get into it. What game details that are there are more just fun easter eggs for game fans.

No. It's done in a way that anyone can get into it. What game details that are there are more just fun easter eggs for game fans.
I LOVE that have made the show part of game canon. That is a feature that I am not sure has ever been done in adaptations of video games before.

First two episodes have been surprisingly good.

Did you watch it? I'm not a fanboy but really enjoyed the show. I did start Fallout 4 a couple years ago though, only had a few hours into it, but even just that helped get into the show and pick up some references.

For example, and at the risk of sounding like a complete dumbass, I remember being confused by the pre-war environment being in the future, but having '50s vibes when I started the game. So even just having already figured out what that was all about saved me from having to figure out why 2077 LA looked like 1950s LA, but with robots at the beginning of the show.

Did you watch it? I'm not a fanboy but really enjoyed the show. I did start Fallout 4 a couple years ago though, only had a few hours into it, but even just that helped get into the show and pick up some references.

For example, and at the risk of sounding like a complete dumbass, I remember being confused by the pre-war environment being in the future, but having '50s vibes when I started the game. So even just having already figured out what that was all about saved me from having to figure out why 2077 LA looked like 1950s LA, but with robots at the beginning of the show.
This paragraph is funny, because viewing it raw, (never played any of it) was just like you being confused when playing it the first time. So like, you figuring it out the first time, saved you from figuring it out the second time. lulz

luv u bruv

I'm maybe not quite a Fallout "superfan" who knows every detail of lore in the universe, but I definitely qualify as a fan. I put a lot of time into 3, 4 and 76. I have a Fallout bobblehead on my desk at work (entertaining Easter egg and conversation piece).

I finished watching the (first) Fallout season last night with my wife - who is also a fan. Here's some personal takes:

- Fucking Hollywood! Every male character in every movie these days is either evil or emasculated; only females are allowed to be strong characters or positive leaders. This Fallout series followed that 100%. 🖕
- Fucking Hollywood! The story takes place in California. Again. There are over 100 other vaults in the U.S. and I would've definitely preferred a fresh location. ...But that would've involved more creativity. :rolleyes:
- No super mutants. Super mutants are a core "creature" of Fallout; they whiffed on a single hint of the existence of super mutants.
- Minimal creatures. We saw a couple rad roaches and gulpers and that's pretty much it. There was no threat of wild creatures as the main characters traversed the open wasteland. There was plenty of opportunity for it.

- Phenomenal job of capturing the Fallout environment. Vault details, wasteland details, lore franchise details (the obvious ones like Nuka Cola and Red Rocket and the not obvious ones like Super Duper Mart), and clothing details (the costume designer gets an A+ from me).
- The stories - over-arching stories and mini-substories - all felt like genuine Fallout lore. All of them fit well together and fit well in the Fallout environment.
- For Fallout fans, there were plenty of Easter eggs (obvious and subtle) to watch for and find.