TV Series Fallout

I'm maybe not quite a Fallout "superfan" who knows every detail of lore in the universe, but I definitely qualify as a fan. I put a lot of time into 3, 4 and 76. I have a Fallout bobblehead on my desk at work (entertaining Easter egg and conversation piece).

I finished watching the (first) Fallout season last night with my wife - who is also a fan. Here's some personal takes:

- Fucking Hollywood! Every male character in every movie these days is either evil or emasculated; only females are allowed to be strong characters or positive leaders. This Fallout series followed that 100%. đź–•
- Fucking Hollywood! The story takes place in California. Again. There are over 100 other vaults in the U.S. and I would've definitely preferred a fresh location. ...But that would've involved more creativity. :rolleyes:
- No super mutants. Super mutants are a core "creature" of Fallout; they whiffed on a single hint of the existence of super mutants.
- Minimal creatures. We saw a couple rad roaches and gulpers and that's pretty much it. There was no threat of wild creatures as the main characters traversed the open wasteland. There was plenty of opportunity for it.

- Phenomenal job of capturing the Fallout environment. Vault details, wasteland details, lore franchise details (the obvious ones like Nuka Cola and Red Rocket and the not obvious ones like Super Duper Mart), and clothing details (the costume designer gets an A+ from me).
- The stories - over-arching stories and mini-substories - all felt like genuine Fallout lore. All of them fit well together and fit well in the Fallout environment.
- For Fallout fans, there were plenty of Easter eggs (obvious and subtle) to watch for and find.
There were actually at least 2 pretty clear Super Mutant references in the show. 1st, in the enclave (ep2?) there is a large body being wheeled around on a gurney with a large green hand/arm visible under the sheet. 2nd, when the Ghoul is speaking with “the President”, there is a clear Super Mutant featured on the “Wanted” board in the back ground.

This is a live action show, that wasn’t guaranteed to be a hit. Adding Super Mutants, Deathclaws, Mirelinks, etc would have been a bit of a tough sell to non-diehards, AND been expensive to produce. I am not thrilled that they chose to include Gulpers, which are only KNOWN to exist in Maine and WV (no mention in Maryland, Virginia, Boston, Vegas, LA or Sacto previously), but that isn’t a huge gripe, imho.

There were actually at least 2 pretty clear Super Mutant references in the show. 1st, in the enclave (ep2?) there is a large body being wheeled around on a gurney with a large green hand/arm visible under the sheet. 2nd, when the Ghoul is speaking with “the President”, there is a clear Super Mutant featured on the “Wanted” board in the back ground.

I guess I missed those two subtle Easter eggs. I certainly would've preferred at least one significant super mutant encounter throughout the season. Honestly, I was kinda bracing for it in the Super Duper Mart scene and a little disappointed when it didn't happen.

This is a live action show, that wasn’t guaranteed to be a hit. Adding Super Mutants, Deathclaws, Mirelinks, etc would have been a bit of a tough sell to non-diehards, AND been expensive to produce. I am not thrilled that they chose to include Gulpers, which are only KNOWN to exist in Maine and WV (no mention in Maryland, Virginia, Boston, Vegas, LA or Sacto previously), but that isn’t a huge gripe, imho.

Funny you mentioned gulpers... The wife and I both were irked by gulpers there, too. In the big gulper fight scene, that environment was perfectly set up for a mirelurk king and/or queen. Mirelurks don't really fit into the California desert either, but mirelurks felt more appropriate. I didn't mention that earlier because I thought it was a little too nerd-nitpicky.

The show was ok but apocalyptic world building isn’t my thing.

I think “Last of Us” was a far superior product of that genre.

I guess I missed those two subtle Easter eggs. I certainly would've preferred at least one significant super mutant encounter throughout the season. Honestly, I was kinda bracing for it in the Super Duper Mart scene and a little disappointed when it didn't happen.

Funny you mentioned gulpers... The wife and I both were irked by gulpers there, too. In the big gulper fight scene, that environment was perfectly set up for a mirelurk king and/or queen. Mirelurks don't really fit into the California desert either, but mirelurks felt more appropriate. I didn't mention that earlier because I thought it was a little too nerd-nitpicky.
I think they went with Gulpers instead of Mirelurks due to storytelling. Mirelurks are mutated crabs, while Gulpers are mutated humans (is this a retcon?). In the show, the Gulpers came from V4.

End of the day, they only had 8 episodes. Throwing in everything would make the show too cluttered. They acknowledged that Super Mutants exist, but they didn’t want them to get in the way of the story they are trying to tell in 8 hours with that (unrelated) aspect of the universe.

I think they went with Gulpers instead of Mirelurks due to storytelling. Mirelurks are mutated crabs, while Gulpers are mutated humans (is this a retcon?). In the show, the Gulpers came from V4.

End of the day, they only had 8 episodes. Throwing in everything would make the show too cluttered. They acknowledged that Super Mutants exist, but they didn’t want them to get in the way of the story they are trying to tell in 8 hours with that (unrelated) aspect of the universe.
It would've been easy to replace a random raider encounter in several of the scenes with super mutants. It would've been preferred to further exhibit how dangerous the wasteland is by including a few extra quick creature attacks + defenses as various characters traverse the landscape.

:2cents:

It would've been easy to replace a random raider encounter in several of the scenes with super mutants. It would've been preferred to further exhibit how dangerous the wasteland is by including a few extra quick creature attacks + defenses as various characters traverse the landscape.

:2cents:
But having a huge hulk-like creature, with no explanation is a tough sell. And creating either the practical effect of a SM, or the SFX of a SM would have cost too much for what it would have added to the quality of the show. They need to add SM eventually. Especially in the Southwest, where they started. But I don’t think S1 was the right place to do it (again, too much else to tell without getting into the origins of how they came to be)

But having a huge hulk-like creature, with no explanation is a tough sell. And creating either the practical effect of a SM, or the SFX of a SM would have cost too much for what it would have added to the quality of the show. They need to add SM eventually. Especially in the Southwest, where they started. But I don’t think S1 was the right place to do it (again, too much else to tell without getting into the origins of how they came to be)
They don't have to tell the backstory of everything right away. We saw a gulper attack several episodes before the "new to Fallout" audience knew why it was there. Some of the show's intrigue to "new to Fallout" viewers can be "holy crap, what the hell was that?!?" to frame the obvious "stay tuned" cliffhanger. I think they could've done that at least once in those 8 episodes to satisfy the Fallout nerds and intrigue the new audience.

I'm not so sure costs would've been exponentially greater to CGI a super mutant attack instead of a raider attack. A raider attack needs actors, costumes, designers, wardrobe directors, props, prop creators, etc. Super mutants would probably be mostly a couple nerds like us sitting at a computer.

They don't have to tell the backstory of everything right away. We saw a gulper attack several episodes before the "new to Fallout" audience knew why it was there. Some of the show's intrigue to "new to Fallout" viewers can be "holy crap, what the hell was that?!?" to frame the obvious "stay tuned" cliffhanger. I think they could've done that at least once in those 8 episodes to satisfy the Fallout nerds and intrigue the new audience.

I'm not so sure costs would've been exponentially greater to CGI a super mutant attack instead of a raider attack. A raider attack needs actors, costumes, designers, wardrobe directors, props, prop creators, etc. Super mutants would probably be mostly a couple nerds like us sitting at a computer.
But they did have have 2 references to SMs that cost them next to nothing.

I agree that in a non-story-telling context, we should have seen LOTS of SMs throughout the show. They are a major part of the Fallout world at this point. But they wanted to stay focused on the story they were telling. Introducing too many concepts right away risks the show becoming Batman v Superman. Work up to BvS.

I'm maybe not quite a Fallout "superfan" who knows every detail of lore in the universe, but I definitely qualify as a fan. I put a lot of time into 3, 4 and 76. I have a Fallout bobblehead on my desk at work (entertaining Easter egg and conversation piece).

I finished watching the (first) Fallout season last night with my wife - who is also a fan. Here's some personal takes:

- Fucking Hollywood! Every male character in every movie these days is either evil or emasculated; only females are allowed to be strong characters or positive leaders. This Fallout series followed that 100%. đź–•
- Fucking Hollywood! The story takes place in California. Again. There are over 100 other vaults in the U.S. and I would've definitely preferred a fresh location. ...But that would've involved more creativity. :rolleyes:
- No super mutants. Super mutants are a core "creature" of Fallout; they whiffed on a single hint of the existence of super mutants.
- Minimal creatures. We saw a couple rad roaches and gulpers and that's pretty much it. There was no threat of wild creatures as the main characters traversed the open wasteland. There was plenty of opportunity for it.

- Phenomenal job of capturing the Fallout environment. Vault details, wasteland details, lore franchise details (the obvious ones like Nuka Cola and Red Rocket and the not obvious ones like Super Duper Mart), and clothing details (the costume designer gets an A+ from me).
- The stories - over-arching stories and mini-substories - all felt like genuine Fallout lore. All of them fit well together and fit well in the Fallout environment.
- For Fallout fans, there were plenty of Easter eggs (obvious and subtle) to watch for and find.
You have to have about the simplest takeaways possible to arrive at your dislikes. Goggins’ Ghoul character is about the most badass in the show and if you watched the whole season and came out with “he’s evil” I don’t know what to tell you… the strong female lead having to “do what it takes to survive out here” and how that played into her relationship with the ghoul was a main plot line that couldn’t have been anymore spoon fed to you.

Every main character had a pretty deep arc. The only main male characters that fit your “emasculated male” stereotype are the vault dwellers, and for obvious reasons. And again, one of them overcoming being a little vault dwelling bitch was baked right into the main plot.

Regarding minimal creatures and super mutants. There were plenty of freak creatures featured. The lead character was about to be attacked by roaches when she was saved by the scientist and dog (coincidentally right before he literally explained the coming plot that makes your “evil strong male” takeaway ridiculous). Maximus gets armor because of a mutant bear…

For fucks sake, it’s a tv show with a plot, not an open world RPG that’s going to feature every possible mutant thing you can possibly get attacked by over hundreds of hours of game play. Appreciate it for what it is.

You have to have about the simplest takeaways possible to arrive at your dislikes. Goggins’ Ghoul character is about the most badass in the show and if you watched the whole season and came out with “he’s evil” I don’t know what to tell you… the strong female lead having to “do what it takes to survive out here” and how that played into her relationship with the ghoul was a main plot line that couldn’t have been anymore spoon fed to you.

Every main character had a pretty deep arc. The only main male characters that fit your “emasculated male” stereotype are the vault dwellers, and for obvious reasons. And again, one of them overcoming being a little vault dwelling bitch was baked right into the main plot.

Regarding minimal creatures and super mutants. There were plenty of freak creatures featured. The lead character was about to be attacked by roaches when she was saved by the scientist and dog (coincidentally right before he literally explained the coming plot that makes your “evil strong male” takeaway ridiculous). Maximus gets armor because of a mutant bear…

For fucks sake, it’s a tv show with a plot, not an open world RPG that’s going to feature every possible mutant thing you can possibly get attacked by over hundreds of hours of game play. Appreciate it for what it is.

I agree with every single thing said here.

10 stars.

Just started and this show was slapped by the woke bug. White guy in the 50s has a black daughter.

Just started and this show was slapped by the woke bug. White guy in the 50s has a black daughter.

Woke overboard with the casting galore and now the main character is a lesbian getting married to another woman. This show is a woke joke.

Oh wow a trans actor. What a shocker. Show is really trying to bit all of the woke points.

The opening scene is set in 2077...
Woke overboard with the casting galore and now the main character is a lesbian getting married to another woman. This show is a woke joke.
Wat

I swear to christ, you dorks just want to be outraged so bad you don't even bother paying attention because you've already made up what you're going to be offended about anyway.

I agree with every single thing said here.

10 stars.

I expect hardcore liberal Satanists to have alternate definitions of "evil" and "emasculated". Hollywood loves you.

Last edited:
Did you watch it? I'm not a fanboy but really enjoyed the show. I did start Fallout 4 a couple years ago though, only had a few hours into it, but even just that helped get into the show and pick up some references.

For example, and at the risk of sounding like a complete dumbass, I remember being confused by the pre-war environment being in the future, but having '50s vibes when I started the game. So even just having already figured out what that was all about saved me from having to figure out why 2077 LA looked like 1950s LA, but with robots at the beginning of the show.
I did, and I enjoyed it. I'm a Walton Goggins fan so that made it even more enjoyable. I'm sure there are a lot of things I missed, but without knowing the background at all I still really liked it. I binged through it, always wanting to get right into the next show which is a good sign.