Food Places you liked that went out of business

This thread wouldnt be complete without Chi-Chi's :biggrin:
chi-chis-youtube.png

1641140752118.png

I remember stopping at one of these every time we would drive out to Phoenix to visit my grandma. Apparently, the original one in Santa Barbara is the only one left. But apparently changed it's name to "Chad's" in 2020.

Last edited:
The restaurant me and my grandpa used to go to every Saturday morning was closed down due to a highway widening project. Owners were pretty old, they just decided to retire with the money they got from the state instead of relocating. Miss that place. They had the best gravy. Falcons legend, Fulton Kuykendall was always in there too.

View attachment 55005

I remember stopping at one of these every time we would drive out to Phoenix to visit my grandma. Apparently. the original one is Santa Barbara is the only one left. But apparently changed it's name to "Chad's" in 2020.
Sad... Used to go there a lot. Sambo's had to change their name because the name and storyline behind it was considered racist. It was a HUGE and quite successful chain back then. The stoopid political correctness (even back then) destroyed that chain.

View attachment 55005

I remember stopping at one of these every time we would drive out to Phoenix to visit my grandma. Apparently. the original one is Santa Barbara is the only one left. But apparently changed it's name to "Chad's" in 2020.
I guess Sambo's isn't a politically correct name... :dhd:

The Last Howard Johnson's Standing | Architect Magazine

Howard Johnson's had locations up and down the east coast and while my folks didn't take us there for meals we did go for ice cream pretty often. The one we had here in Manch-Angeles has been gone for a long time (20+ years) and the one 20 minutes south in Nashua didn't last for more than a few years after that. Apparently there is one HoJo's left up near Bangor Maine.

Sad... Used to go there a lot. Sambo's had to change their name because the name and storyline behind it was considered racist. It was a HUGE and quite successful chain back then. The stoopid political correctness (even back then) destroyed that chain.

"a reputation for pushing racist iconography along with its breakfasts"

pfft

The Last Howard Johnson's Standing | Architect Magazine

Howard Johnson's had locations up and down the east coast and while my folks didn't take us there for meals we did go for ice cream pretty often. The one we had here in Manch-Angeles has been gone for a long time (20+ years) and the one 20 minutes south in Nashua didn't last for more than a few years after that. Apparently there is one HoJo's left up near Bangor Maine.
My dad was stationed at Dow AFB in Bangor Maine back in the mid 1960s. The base closed in 1968 and became Bangor International Airport. I remember my parents taking us there in 1989 and staying at that Howard Johnson's Motel. It is owned by Wyndham now.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 55005

I worked at 2 Sambos during my itinerant days back in the 70s. A lot of the imagery they used was from the children's book "Little Black Sambo"