• No

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Potato Salad

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,167.00
One of my kids has been sick for the last two days and I've been working from home. And I have to say, I hate it. At home I feel like I have to do house stuff + work stuff. I think I'm in the minority though.

I have been working from home since the start of the pandemic and really enjoy it. I go into the office every so often though just to put in some facetime or see some coworkers, but really I am totally fine with this. My desk set up is good and I get to hang with the dog all day.

I usually do some kind of cleaning when I am listening in on a meeting and not presenting, so I keep busy and get that shit done.

you can't beat the commute.

I have to say, I hate it. At home I feel like I have to do house stuff + work stuff.

I love this about remote work. I get laundry, dishes, and garbage etc…done in between meetings, leaving my evenings and weekends clear to chill and/or party.

It’s not possible for me to do my job from home, and I’m not sure I’d like it. I get stir crazy and I like to bullshit

I was deemed essential, so I still came in every day in 2020

Tom Hanks Fancy GIF

Yes. Without a doubt. There are days that suck because the housekeeper is here, my wife is here, or my kid is sick but the other 95% of the time it is perfect. saves money in commuting to the office and about 10 hours a week of sitting in traffic. Plus I can be up and on camera for a 7am meeting without getting up before 6:30.

It’s not possible for me to do my job from home, and I’m not sure I’d like it. I get stir crazy and I like to bullshit

the world still needed ditch diggers

One of my kids has been sick for the last two days and I've been working from home. And I have to say, I hate it. At home I feel like I have to do house stuff + work stuff. I think I'm in the minority though.
Wouldn't like it if I was working at the kitchen table. My WFH office now is in the back corner of the basement. I get left alone for most of the day. Don't have issues with my commute, and I rarely un-dock my laptop.

This is going to vary widely based on personality and focus ability.

I'll be very honest with you, working from home is not for me. Sure, there are luxuries with it that are great. No commute = huge gas $ savings. Being in the comfort of your own home office, designed/equipped just the way you want it...that's great too.

But for me, I am just built in a way that I need to get up, get out, and GO to work. I need routine and structure in order to really thrive (hence 21 years in the Marine Corps...it just suits me). Plus, I know myself well enough to know that I'm easily distracted. Working from home where my hobbies and projects are merely waiting for me in another room, yikes. Or being in the same structure as my maniac kids when they get home from school...again yikes.

I'll also add, because I'm long winded AF - a LOT of the people I know who continue to work from home, seem to be finding themselves doing work related activities after dinner, in the evening, before bed, etc. In other words, you can allow yourself to become TOO accessible, and the work/life balance starts to blend and get muddy. I don't like muddy. Work at work. Leave it, and real life otherwise without work interruption. I'm sure this is still obtainable with strict boundaries but again, I'm not disciplined enough to set those boundaries. I'd be taking 3 hour lunches and then working at 8 pm. Ugh.

No.

I love this about remote work. I get laundry, dishes, and garbage etc…done in between meetings, leaving my evenings and weekends clear to chill and/or party.
See, I hate that lol. Because I feel like I'm not actually getting my work done, just pushing it off until I'm at the office again. I'm not focused enough to do both at the same time.

I'll be very honest with you, working from home is not for me. Sure, there are luxuries with it that are great. No commute = huge gas $ savings. Being in the comfort of your own home office, designed/equipped just the way you want it...that's great too.

But for me, I am just built in a way that I need to get up, get out, and GO to work. I need routine and structure in order to really thrive (hence 21 years in the Marine Corps...it just suits me). Plus, I know myself well enough to know that I'm easily distracted. Working from home where my hobbies and projects are merely waiting for me in another room, yikes. Or being in the same structure as my maniac kids when they get home from school...again yikes.

I'll also add, because I'm long winded AF - a LOT of the people I know who continue to work from home, seem to be finding themselves doing work related activities after dinner, in the evening, before bed, etc. In other words, you can allow yourself to become TOO accessible, and the work/life balance starts to blend and get muddy. I don't like muddy. Work at work. Leave it, and real life otherwise without work interruption. I'm sure this is still obtainable with strict boundaries but again, I'm not disciplined enough to set those boundaries. I'd be taking 3 hour lunches and then working at 8 pm. Ugh.

No.
The biggest thing is not getting out of the house. It's like being trapped in your own home.

I have a good buddy who has been in the mortgage business 25 years, and he has always made his living working remote just a few hours every day late at night. He logs in about 9-10 at night and works until about 1, gobbling up all the great majority of West Coast applications that come in once everyone else has gone home.

Seeing the guy during the day, you wouldn’t even know he has a job. Does everything he wants to do. Goes to all his kids sporting events. Goes to music festivals on a whim all over the world all year long. Then when everybody goes to sleep he works. Interesting guy.

I liked it a bit, but also there were times I didn't. I have to drive sometimes to clear my mind or to strategize for something. Why I want to leave the rat race and homestead. Can work from home, but then be outside working as though I'm not working from home.

No.
there is certainly a more blurred line as to when the work day actually ends. My supervisor has made it a point not to call when he doesn't need to, but I work at a facility that operates 24-hrs a day, so it wasn't uncommon to get called after hours before the pandemic.

my dog keeps me inline and starts wanting to go for a walk around 4 every afternoon.

The biggest thing is not getting out of the house. It's like being trapped in your own home.
break up your day. Go to the gym or something. If your boss is that strict where you can't do something like that, I'd look for a new job.