Poll HooplaNation's All-Time Greatest CFB Coach Tourney - #2 Bryant vs #3 Osborne

Who do you think has/had a better CFB coaching career?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But neither are close to 95.... of course, no team is.

michael conor mic drop GIF by In Real Life

I actually think the 25 Alabama Bryant years and the 25 Nebraska Osborne years are very similar. Both had 3 Undefeated, Untied Bowl Teams. Osborne was more consistent (winning 9 or more each season), but Bryant had more teams with 1 or fewer losses (Bryant had 11 and Osborne had 6). Pretty even actually.

The difference to me is what Bryant did at Kentucky where he won an SEC Championship (1950) and took the Wildcats to the Orange, Cotton and Sugar Bowls. Then, he moved to Texas A&M and won a SWC Championship before he returned to Alabama to get them out of their mini-slump in the mid-50s.

Two GREAT Coaches. Ironically, they were 1-1 in Head to Head meetings. Nebraska beat Alabama 24-17 in Lincoln in 1977, and Alabama won 20-3 in Birmingham in 1978. I remember both games like they were yesterday.

I actually think the 25 Alabama Bryant years and the 25 Nebraska Osborne years are very similar. Both had 3 Undefeated, Untied Bowl Teams. Osborne was more consistent (winning 9 or more each season), but Bryant had more teams with 1 or fewer losses (Bryant had 11 and Osborne had 6). Pretty even actually.

The difference to me is what Bryant did at Kentucky where he won an SEC Championship (1950) and took the Wildcats to the Orange, Cotton and Sugar Bowls. Then, he moved to Texas A&M and won a SWC Championship before he returned to Alabama to get them out of their mini-slump in the mid-50s.

Two GREAT Coaches. Ironically, they were 1-1 in Head to Head meetings. Nebraska beat Alabama 24-17 in Lincoln in 1977, and Alabama won 20-3 in Birmingham in 1978. I remember both games like they were yesterday.

Thanks for that.
It's good stuff.

@TheReal_NU - do the right thing. Nebraska fans need this, because when the season rolls around we will be sad again

I’m still struggling with whatever morons in our Athletic Department thought that pussying out on Oklahoma was a viable option.

I’m still struggling with whatever morons in our Athletic Department thought that pussying out on Oklahoma was a viable option.

I think you guys were thinking about 'worst case' scenario's and were looking for options if it came down to it.
Probably not unlike a lot of programs we don't even know about.

I hear ya, that didn't make sense to any Nebraska fan. If there is one game you do not mess with, it is the Oklahoma game. You can cancel the fucking Iowa game before the Oklahoma game and that is a divisional match-up.

They said it was due to money, that they wanted an additional home game to make up for lost revenue. They just apparently didn't realize we are forever linked to OU even though they threw us aside.

I think you guys were thinking about 'worst case' scenario's and were looking for options if it came down to it.
Probably not unlike a lot of programs we don't even know about.
I’d like to believe that, but if that’s the case, why did it take 7 hours for our AD to respond to the story

Moos said Husker officials wanted to make sure they had everything lined up before making a statement that day.
"It probably could have come out sooner, and should have. I'll take responsibility for that," he continued. "Just wanted to make sure that all parties were in agreement that we wanted to hold true to our commitment to play Oklahoma”

so as of the morning of March 12th, our Athletic Director didn’t know that???

I can’t read that statement in any way that makes me feel good about the state of my program.

Not surprised, I've seen how Nebraska has been lately.

I will admit, this thread is starting to change my mind.

I liked the 1978 Alabama team better than the 1979 Alabama team, even though they had 1 loss, but got tired of arguing about it with people, so I just say 1979 now.

I liked the 1978 Alabama team better than the 1979 Alabama team, even though they had 1 loss, but got tired of arguing about it with people, so I just say 1979 now.
Me too. They were a more talented team offensively (Jeff Rutledge, Tony Nathan, Major Ogilvie, Dwight Stephenson, etc.) and played a much tougher schedule: OOC was Nebraska @ Birmingham. @ Mizzou, Southern California @ Birmingham, @ Washington and Virginia Tech. I went to two games that year vs. Southern California @ Birmingham and vs. L.S.U. @ Birmingham. The U.S.C. game was the first time I saw Alabama lose in person!

Last edited:
You’re old, but claiming a NC when you lost by multiple scores to a team that had to travel across the whole country to play in your backyard that ended the season with the same record as you is quite frankly desperate and pathetic