Poll HooplaNation's All-Time Greatest CFB Coach Tourney - #2 Bryant vs #3 Osborne

Who do you think has/had a better CFB coaching career?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What is interesting is I got convinced that Switzer>Osborne and I almost got convinced that Osborne>Bryant. I don't know if I would have gotten convinced Switzer>Bryant.
That's reasonable. Barry Switzer did so much in a short career it's hard to quantify him sometimes. He could have gone on to have more good/great teams and likely win at least 1 more NC but that's all just conjecture. An argument can be made for Switzer against any other coach but it's apples vs. oranges in a lot of cases. There is no argument that Switzer was better than Nick Saban. Saban's the best of all time. Switzer was great because he had to play against schools like Nebraska and Texas every year. Saban has done the same thing (and even better) by winning in a historically tough SEC.

I'd actually rank them in tiers (again comparing apples to oranges in some cases) something like this:

A. Saban
B. Wilkinson
C. Switzer, Osborne, Meyer, Bryant
D. Hayes, Bowden, Devaney

If I had to pick one guy (in his prime) who has coached in the college ranks, give him all the talent he could reasonably ask for and then bet the farm on him winning a National Championship, I would choose Nick Saban, Barry Switzer or Pete Carroll.

That's reasonable. Barry Switzer did so much in a short career it's hard to quantify him sometimes. He could have gone on to have more good/great teams and likely win at least 1 more NC but that's all just conjecture. An argument can be made for Switzer against any other coach but it's apples vs. oranges in a lot of cases. There is no argument that Switzer was better than Nick Saban. Saban's the best of all time. Switzer was great because he had to play against schools like Nebraska and Texas every year. Saban has done the same thing (and even better) by winning in a historically tough SEC.

I'd actually rank them in tiers (again comparing apples to oranges in some cases) something like this:

A. Saban
B. Wilkinson
C. Switzer, Osborne, Meyer, Bryant
D. Hayes, Bowden, Devaney

If I had to pick one guy (in his prime) who has coached in the college ranks, give him all the talent he could reasonably ask for and then bet the farm on him winning a National Championship, I would choose Nick Saban, Barry Switzer or Pete Carroll.

The thing is. How is Saban getting these recruits??

If Bud, Barry or Tom had #1 recruiting classes for 15 straight years - I think they would be in comparison to Saban. Saban was average at best at Mich St and LSU.

The thing is. How is Saban getting these recruits??

If Bud, Barry or Tom had #1 recruiting classes for 15 straight years - I think they would be in comparison to Saban. Saban was average at best at Mich St and LSU.
Saban has a process at Alabama and is a recruiting machine; that's how he does it. Winning is everything to these kids. And I mean winning NOW, MOFO! Nobody wants to be a part of building a program and then winning......setting the stage for a program to build something really special. The damn social media has done as much to hurt this society as any plague, war or political philosophy has ever done. And college football isn't immune to it. Let's take Nebraska as an example: great school, great fans, great research facilities, clean as a whistle and yet the school is not considered to be a "hot item" on social media. 40-50 years ago a Devaney, an Osborne, a Switzer, a Darrell Royal type of guy would be able to come in and slowly build a monster. Yeah I'm kinda Old School about this stuff but I'm sick of these kids not only wanting to be at only the "cool" schools according to Twitter and ESPN but let's also allow them to hop from program to program (even though it has helped Oklahoma). And what's next? Pay me, mofo! The sport has gradually ended up with about a half dozen monster programs and the rest are fighting for the crumbs. It isn't going to get any better and the basis for all that is the recruiting and the ability of coaches to now have "supplemental drafts" with transfers. You're right: give any really good coach enough highly ranked classes and he's going to be winning at or near Saban's level. When too much wealth is in the hands of too few people, a society fails as its middle class withers and the majority can't legitimately hope to improve their lot in life. It's the same thing with football. As an OU fan I love it; as a college football fan I'm concerned we're headed for trouble when I see Congress and the U.S. Supreme Court sticking their noses into the sport.

Why do you hate democracy, you commies?

LOL
hillary clinton GIF

Would have been more interesting if the OP used Bo Pelini or Bill Callahan instead of Tom Osborne. Probably get the same result but it would have been much more entertaining imo :dhd:

For HuskersNation who's more disliked, Pelini or Callahan? My guess is Pelini. The state of Nebraska has one of the funniest slogans.

downloadgfdfgdfgdfgdfgdfgdfg.jpg

And how you been?

For HuskersNation who's more disliked, Pelini or Callahan? My guess is Pelini. The state of Nebraska has one of the funniest slogans.

View attachment 26562

And how you been?

Steve Pederson...

I actually like both Pelini and Callahan.

Pelini had Nebraska respectable.

Cally could have done great things if he would have fired Cosgrove as DC.

View attachment 26562

And how you been?
Doing good hoping all’s been well Wamu. Tbh this poll just isn’t complete without Clay Aiken :dhd:

Steve Pederson...

I actually like both Pelini and Callahan.

Pelini had Nebraska respectable.

Cally could have done great things if he would have fired Cosgrove as DC.
I’ll always remember Callahan as the coach that didn’t change the playbook before playing Gruden in the Super Bowl. Buccs knew all the Raiders plays :doh:

View attachment 26562

And how you been?
I would think it would be Callahan. The dude had all the talent necessary to succeed and also came in when Nebraska was still fairly relevant, there was no excuse for the level of failure he had.

Pelini started off pretty strong, demonstrating the talent that existed on defense (such as Suh). He just could never put an offense together and by the time he had an offense that could move the ball a little, his defense started slacking quite a bit... well at least against anyone semi-decent. Plus once Callahans talent left, there was a noticeable drop-off in production and Pelini could never bring in that level of talent. The irony was that he was still a better coach in that he could still win more than Callahan even with less talent.