HooplaNation's All-Time Greatest CFB Coach Tourney - Entry Thread

@iowajerms How are you going to do the polls? If you have 25 coaches, how many can we choose in the initial round?

I plan on having two "Bracket Builder" threads that will filter out a lot of coaches. I will take the Top 12 (possibly up to 16 depending on results) from them. Then make a "Seeding" thread with a poll of 24 (or possibly a more) coaches - where the top 16 in the poll determine the seeds.

I plan on doing the bracket builders and seeding threads between semifinals and NCG and after NCG, start the tournament.

We will start with this list to start filtering them out, I will actually do a few polls to filter out and seed, so if you can think of any more names, we can include them.

Amos Alonzo Stagg
Bernie Biermann
Bobby Bowden
Frank Broyles
Mack Brown
Bear Bryant
Pete Carroll
Bob Devaney
Vince Dooley
Phil Fulmer
Woody Hayes
John Heisman
Lou Holtz
Jimmy Johnson
Howard Jones
Frank Leahy
Johnny Majors
Jim McKay
Urban Meyer
Robert Neyland
Tom Osborne
Joe Paterno
Mike Price
Eddie Robinson
Knute Rockne
Darrell Royal
Nick Saban
Howard Schnellenberger
Bill Snyder
Steve Spurrier
Gene Stallings
Bob Stoops
Dabo Swinney
Barry Switzer
Jim Tressell
Pop Warner
Bud Wilkinson
Fielding Yost
Half of the list is ridiculous

Paul Brown? Or was his college career too short?

College career too short. Only three years from '41 to '43. Went 18-8-1.

Hey how about Larry Kehers? 332-24-3 in 27 seasons. 11 national tittles. 21 unbeaten regular seasons. 23 conference titles. And a 55 game winning streak.

Last edited:
Half of the list is ridiculous

Not really. Most don't stand a chance of winning but if you are going to have a tournament, I don't see one that is glaringly obvious to not at least be in the 1st round

Bowl games where no natty is on the line are meaningless.

Both had fluke natty seasons. I don’t think Stoops ever got blown the fuck out in a NCG when they were so heavily favored that the media was ready to crown them before the game even started
No they aren’t meaningless, now they are bc the CFP only matters. It was different back in the day, teams actually were honored to play in bigtime bowls like the Rose Bowl. It just isn’t the same nowadays.

Tressell went up against two teams that were favored by a lot and he took down one of the greatest teams of all-time arguably. That Miami team set some crazy records and won a ton of games. So if getting blown out in one national championship is your “criteria” you have no clue what you are talking about. Stoops is definitely very overrated and he did less with more most of his career. That being said, both aren’t worthy of being in this tourney.

Reactions: Me
No they aren’t meaningless, now they are bc the CFP only matters. It was different back in the day, teams actually were honored to play in bigtime bowls like the Rose Bowl. It just isn’t the same nowadays.

Tressell went up against two teams that were favored by a lot and he took down one of the greatest teams of all-time arguably. That Miami team set some crazy records and won a ton of games. So if getting blown out in one national championship is your “criteria” you have no clue what you are talking about. Stoops is definitely very overrated and he did less with more most of his career. That being said, both aren’t worthy of being in this tourney.

If you consider what Tressel did at YSU as well I don't see why he can't be included. Also, as far the meaningless bowls, as long as preseason polls continue to be so relevant in determining rankings throughout the year then no bowl is as meaningless as you would think. A win in a NY6 bowl or against another good opponent could help your teams ranking starting out for the following year, which makes it much easier to make it into one of those coveted top 4 spots

He got blown out in two. In back to back years, and nobody respected Ohio State again until 2014.

He won a natty, that was aided by a bullshit PI call. He also lost most every game that meant something afterwards and left in scandal

Not really. Most don't stand a chance of winning but if you are going to have a tournament, I don't see one that is glaringly obvious to not at least be in the 1st round
Fuck it. Forrest Evashevski needs to be on that list.

He got blown out in two. In back to back years, and nobody respected Ohio State again until 2014.

He won a natty, that was aided by a bullshit PI call. He also lost most every game that meant something afterwards and left in scandal

I wouldn't call the LSU game a "blow out" at least not in the terms of comparing to that Florida game. Ohio State lost by 14 and got shell shocked in the 2nd quarter to the tune of 21-0. Florida wasn't competitive after the opening kickoff.

As far as the bullshit PI, that call should have never happened. Ohio State won that game in regulation when an obvious catch was called incomplete to allow Miami to get the ball back and tie it for OT. If that is correctly called a catch, then Ohio State kneels to a 17-14 win.

Back