Poll HooplaNation's All-Time Greatest CFB Coaches Tourney - 4 Wilkinson vs 12 Bowden

Who do you think has/had a better CFB coaching career?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You’re resorted to copying previous posts by other posters? LOL. Just up at that point, bud. Gonna post a funny gif or use emojis next?
Resorting? As if it is some ditch effort to repost facts? The only thing laughable is that you 'resorted' to taking some sort of moral high ground on this argument right here.
And LOL @ you thinking mentioning Florida State played two power houses in non conference every year as a knock on Wilkinson’s era. How do you even reach that conclusion?
Again it is based on years. Florida was never really a powerhouse until the mid 90's... roughly 18 years after Bowden took over Florida. Bud had Texas during his time and if you give him another 17 years then you could have added Nebraska to that list as well. You are cherrypicking.
14 straight top 5 finishes. That 14 year run Bowden had is more impressive than anything Wilkinson did.
Believe that if you want, let me know when Bowden has a 47 game win streak.

Listed nothing of Bowden and how he turned Florida State into a power house when they were a garbage program before he came along. Listing all the accomplishments of one without mentioning the other is homerism.
to be fair, the ACC was a glorified football mid-major before FSU joined

they didn't have a major bowl tie-in, so the ACC champion was never guaranteed a slot in a major bowl game. fwiw, a lot of those great Clemson teams in the 1980s would play in the Gator Bowl

it was a weird dynamic, tbh. the kings of basketball, the queens of football

FSU helped changed that reputation.

the biggest knock on Wilkinson is that he's dead, tbh

lol @ dead people

Bowden is 90+ years old and is as strong as an ox

Resorting? As if it is some ditch effort to repost facts? The only thing laughable is that you 'resorted' to taking some sort of moral high ground on this argument right here.

Again it is based on years. Florida was never really a powerhouse until the mid 90's... roughly 18 years after Bowden took over Florida. Bud had Texas during his time and if you give him another 17 years then you could have added Nebraska to that list as well. You are cherrypicking.

Believe that if you want, let me know when Bowden has a 47 game win streak.
When you go back and copy a previous quote someone else made, it’s the same as posting a funny gif. It’s a forfeit and real bad form.

Texas and Nebraska during Bud’s time was nothing like Miami and Florida during Bud’s time.

If Oklahoma had bothered to play two non conference games every year against power house programs, he wouldn’t have won 47 straight either. What’s his excuse for not coming close to Bowden’s record for consecutive top 5 finishes?

In the 50's you were only allowed to play a bowl game every other year. If they could have played in a bowl every year than Wilkenson would of had at least 2 more NC's.

Here's another way to look at this argument. If you had a magic wand and could make their wish come true, go ask 50 head coaches in college football whether they would prefer to have a career identical to Bobby Bowden or Bud Wilkinson.

In the 50's you were only allowed to play a bowl game every other year. If they could have played in a bowl every year than Wilkenson would of had at least 2 more NC's.
Bowls had nothing to do with National Championships in the 50s.

excited tv series GIF

Bobby Bowden’s biggest fans dagnabit

excited tv series GIF

Bobby Bowden’s biggest fans dagnabit
No real moonshiner would ever agree to be on a tv show.

But I bought a case of homemade pear brandy to go with a case of my corn last week. It was a big hit at my buddy’s 30th birthday party Saturday night.

When you go back and copy a previous quote someone else made, it’s the same as posting a funny gif. It’s a forfeit and real bad form.
How? Do you make the forum etiquette rules? For one the post was relevant, LMAO at this nonsense. And you believe it? Smh.
Texas and Nebraska during Bud’s time was nothing like Miami and Florida during Bud’s time.
If you give another 17 years and got to cherry-pick the decade it would have been.
If Oklahoma had bothered to play two non conference games every year against power house programs, he wouldn’t have won 47 straight either. What’s his excuse for not coming close to Bowden’s record for consecutive top 5 finishes?
Not coming close? You said it was 14 to 10, I would say that is close and Bud didn't need a 15+ year start to get his going. But what about those years where Miami and Florida weren't all that great, what is the excuse now? Oh yeah, it's that the FSU program was so shit despite winning 10 games. :rolleyes2:

How? Do you make the forum etiquette rules? For one the post was relevant, LMAO at this nonsense. And you believe it? Smh.

If you give another 17 years and got to cherry-pick the decade it would have been.

Not coming close? You said it was 14 to 10, I would say that is close and Bud didn't need a 15+ year start to get his going. But what about those years where Miami and Florida weren't all that great, what is the excuse now? Oh yeah, it's that the FSU program was so shit despite winning 10 games. :rolleyes2:
It’s bad form. You know it too.

Second part makes zero sense.

Most consecutive top 5 finishes Bud had was 7. Bowden had 14 in a row. Miami’s rise was happening at the same time as Bowden’s. Florida was one of the top teams of the 90’s. Bowden finished in the top 5 every year of the 90’s.

10 years before Wilkinson at Oklahoma

8-3 (4-1 Big 6), Gator Bowl Champion, #14 Final AP Poll
5-5 (4-1 Big 6)
6-3-1 (3-0-1 Big 6)
7-2 (5-0 Big 6)
3-5-2 (3-1-1 Big 6)
6-3 (3-2 Big 6)
6-3 (4-1 Big 6)
6-2-1 (3-2 Big 6), #19 Final AP Poll
10-1 (5-0 Big 6), L in Orange Bowl, #4 Final AP
5-2-2 (3-1-1 Big 6)

10 years before Bowden at Florida State

3-8
1-10
0-11
7-4
8-4, L in Fiesta Bowl, #19 Final Coaches Poll
7-4
6-3
8-3, L in Peach Bowl, #14 Final Coaches Poll
7-2-2, Tied in Gator Bowl, #16 Final Coaches Poll
8-5, L in Sun Bowl

Bud just kicked Bobby's ass by a score equivalent to 55-21. Game's over. Now let's argue something else like who would have won if they had fought each other at their peak? Tyson or Ali?

It’s bad form. You know it too.
I honestly don't agree with that notion at all. Someone had already previously stated something that became relevant again, so I tagged them and reposted what they posted. Is there some difference if I just typed it out myself? This is the dumbest fucking thing I have ever heard. It is bad form to repost relevant information? Lol, well I guess I could see how you wouldn't like it, it lifts Bud over Bowden.
Second part makes zero sense.
Well, Bud didn't get to prime his tenure with 15+ years, he came in and kicked ass right away.
Most consecutive top 5 finishes Bud had was 7. Bowden had 14 in a row. Miami’s rise was happening at the same time as Bowden’s. Florida was one of the top teams of the 90’s. Bowden finished in the top 5 every year of the 90’s.
And yet, Bud was still better.

I honestly don't agree with that notion at all. Someone had already previously stated something that became relevant again, so I tagged them and reposted what they posted. Is there some difference if I just typed it out myself? This is the dumbest fucking thing I have ever heard. It is bad form to repost relevant information? Lol, well I guess I could see how you wouldn't like it, it lifts Bud over Bowden.

Well, Bud didn't get to prime his tenure with 15+ years, he came in and kicked ass right away.

And yet, Bud was still better.
He offered no context and offered nothing on Bowden. It was there on the first page, it didn’t need to be C&p’d. Bad form. Looked like you were looking for a tag team partner.

Bud took over a program that came a cunthair away from winning a natty just two years prior.

No he’s not, and it’s demonstrated you’re not capable of defending that claim either.

But this like day 4 of this. This will be my last reply on the matter. Bowden rubs his nutsack on Bud.

He offered no context and offered nothing on Bowden. It was there on the first page, it didn’t need to be C&p’d. Bad form. Looked like you were looking for a tag team partner.
Don't need a tag team partner lol, these guys stats are known. I tagged him so as to give credit for the post and not make it seem as if I was trying to pass this off myself. Again, "bad form", you seriously need to think about this.... why? Like I said, if I didn't tag him and CnP, but typed it out myself, would that have made a difference? If it does, then you know this is nonsense. If it doesn't, then you're clearly being biased based on the info.
Bud took over a program that came a cunthair away from winning a natty just two years prior.
giphy.gif

Bud took over in 1947... in 1945 Oklahoma went 5-5.

Oklahoma A&M (now State) had a good year that year and finished in the top 5, but not OU.

No he’s not, and it’s demonstrated you’re not capable of defending that claim either.
Buds record speaks for itself, it needs no defense. Keep on defending Bowden, Bud will remain on offense and leading on the scoreboard.

nb4 'they are all homers despite only 5 of the 20 votes being OU fans'
But this like day 4 of this. This will be my last reply on the matter. Bowden rubs his nutsack on Bud.
Bowden may be rubbing his nutsack, but it is only for his ED... he couldn't get his stats up.

Last edited:
Some more good stuff.

Bud was 6-2 in Bowl Games with wins over:
#3 North Carolina
#9 LSU
#1 Maryland
#3 Maryland
#5 Alabama

He had win streaks over his 3 main rivals of:
Texas 6 in a row.
Nebraska 12 in a row.
Oklahoma State 17 in a row.

Bud had 5 undefeated regular seasons and 4 outright undefeated seasons, which included Back-to-Back-to-Back undefeated seasons in 1954-1955-1956.

I will agree that Florida State was in a lot worse condition when Bowden took over than Oklahoma was when Wilkinson took over. But Wilkinson was the better coach. I don't know if the Big 6-8 Conference was a great conference from late 40s to early 60s, but Wilkinson made it seem like it was very weak.

It's Wilkinson & it really isn't that close imo.

This will be as far as Wilkinson goes though lol.