Horror Movies

I think all I've seen of his is Broken Flowers which was pretty good. But I'm a bit of a Bill Murray whore. Which is why I'll probably still watch this one. I've heard both good and bad overall reviews of it.
Broken Flowers is one of his I haven't seen, so not sure where it falls on my spectrum. I think I've probably enjoyed his movies best when I'm relaxed, so to speak.

Broken Flowers is one of his I haven't seen, so not sure where it falls on my spectrum. I think I've probably enjoyed his movies best when I'm relaxed, so to speak.
Understood and will definitely keep that in mind leading up to viewing.

So, here's my latest watches for the month of October from most recent:

Vanishing on 7th Street - Anakin being Anakin, meh.

Treasure Hunter: Legend of the White Witch (aka Antidote) - Randy Couture was the lead, enough said for its quality.

Highway to Hell - 1991, had the whole Stiller clan make cameos, directed by the same cat that did Drop Dead Fred that same year, bonkers movie that also featured a brief cameo by Lita Ford, but that ain't no big thing. Either way, just a weird, but entertaining in a trashy way of Orpheus and Eurydice maybe?

Stonehearst Asylum (Aka Eliza Graves) - Always meant to watch this, though I think I confused it with another movie that's cover looked similar and I tried once that bored me to death. Glad I gave in, features Alfred and Ghandi, with a touch of Kate Beckinsale. Having seen the 9th configuration and reading the blurb before hitting watch, I was curious to see what is was going to be about, not a bad watch.

The Bridgewater Triangle - Boring doc with nothing to it

Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat- another 90s movie that probably flew under the radar like Highway to Hell that probably should be a cult classic, but isn't. Fun cast, if you enjoyed the ride on the highway to hell, continue with this one.

The Last Days on Mars- Just put it on as background, might have had potential, I really didn't pay attention.

Sole Survivor - Just a weird 80s movie I never followed

Haunting of Winchester House: - Just a cheap movie that's not good.

Xibalb (Aka Curse of the Mayans) - Just another cheap movie that's not good

Hydra- See above

The Wolf of Snow Hollow- An actual new one I just watched you'd have to rent, buy, or download illegally. Was a decent watch, don't know if I'd pay to rent or buy it, though.

Battldogs- I have a soft spot in my heart for Craig Sheffer and was hoping this would be decent. Title also reminded me a bit of Dog Soldiers, so I was hoping for something more along those lines, than the SyFy movie of the week it was. Cast had some names in it outside of Sheffer too. Wes Duke, Dennis Haysbert, the girl from Jurassic Park, Winston Zeddemore, etc...

Bedvilled - Korean film from 2010, definitley messed up, but more horror in the way of things being messed up as only the koreans could portray.

Trick or Treat (1986) - Totally 80s films with a cameo from Ozzy Osbourne and fairly main role for Gene Simmons. Not a bad watch.

Tremors: Shrieker Island - It was a good run, that's all I'll say.

Well, that took me to 11 October, watched the Phantasm series (after the first two) too bored with this recap go further at this time. As some of the selections above show, I've really hit most of the horror movies to this point, it's tough finding anything of substance. Hasn't been horrible over all and I've supplemented it with other classics previously seen sprinkled in to keep sanity, but its tough out there.

Enjoy what you've seen so far, really loses steam the more they've continued.
I don't necessarily find them "scary", but I like them. I am going through and watching them in chronological order.

1. The Nun - not very good 4/10 and I feel generous.
2. Annabelle Creation - Not that bad. I feel ok giving it a 5/10.
3. Annabelle. Meh - felt phoned in. 4/10.
4. The Conjuring - pretty good. Solid 7/10 in my opinion.
5. Annabelle Comes Home - Decent. 5.5/6-10
6. The Curse of La Llorona - have not seen yet. Watching on Friday with the wife.
7. Conjuring 2 - I liked it, another solid 7/10 (at least from my first viewing), as I said I am watching them in order now and the wife and just watched Annabelle Comes Home and plan on finishing the other two on Friday.

And I thought I read that The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It comes out on my birthday in 2021. It as if it is a sign lol. Though I also thought I read that Wan (who directed the first 2 conjuring movies) is not directing this one. That has me nervous as The Conjuring movies are easily the best and most interesting of the entire series.

I don't necessarily find them "scary", but I like them. I am going through and watching them in chronological order.

1. The Nun - not very good 4/10 and I feel generous.
2. Annabelle Creation - Not that bad. I feel ok giving it a 5/10.
3. Annabelle. Meh - felt phoned in. 4/10.
4. The Conjuring - pretty good. Solid 7/10 in my opinion.
5. Annabelle Comes Home - Decent. 5.5/6-10
6. The Curse of La Llorona - have not seen yet. Watching on Friday with the wife.
7. Conjuring 2 - I liked it, another solid 7/10 (at least from my first viewing), as I said I am watching them in order now and the wife and just watched Annabelle Comes Home and plan on finishing the other two on Friday.

And I thought I read that The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It comes out on my birthday in 2021. It as if it is a sign lol. Though I also thought I read that Wan (who directed the first 2 conjuring movies) is not directing this one. That has me nervous as The Conjuring movies are easily the best and most interesting of the entire series.
i think it's been said, it's tough to find things scary, but they did set a good mood, at least that's how i think of horror movies i like, they're not scary, but they stick with me for a bit. yeah, the nun was bad and one of their last, anna creation i liked more than most, but again, wasn't great, annabelle, i think i didn't mind vs. the consensus. the conjuring solid, anna comes home, pure trash. I just never buy the oh, i'm going to try and use these evil things to connect with my dead "enter relationship here". never considered la llorona a part of the series, linda C can always get it. conjuring 2 is solid

didn't know you meant you were watching them in some weird order in the timeline and not when they were released theatrically.

i think it's been said, it's tough to find things scary, but they did set a good mood, at least that's how i think of horror movies i like, they're not scary, but they stick with me for a bit. yeah, the nun was bad and one of their last, anna creation i liked more than most, but again, wasn't great, annabelle, i think i didn't mind vs. the consensus. the conjuring solid, anna comes home, pure trash. I just never buy the oh, i'm going to try and use these evil things to connect with my dead "enter relationship here". never considered la llorona a part of the series, linda C can always get it. conjuring 2 is solid

didn't know you meant you were watching them in some weird order in the timeline and not when they were released theatrically.
I didn't know any of them were interconnected at first. Obviously Conjuring 1 and 2 as well as the Annabelle movies, but I didn't even realize that those were connected. I read something talking about The Conjuring "Universe" and I thought 'what universe?'. Sure enough yeah, they are all connected and I think that is super cool.

I thought Annabelle Comes Home was the best Annabelle movie, followed by the Annabelle Creation. The acting and writing was pretty fair in those which is why I like them more. Plus I was reading up on all of the stories and it turns out that the first Annabelle movie (self titled) is mostly movie magic. There are points in the movie that really happened, but most of the movie is fake. I think I give bonus points for the movies being based on a true story/ real events. Lorraine Warren herself said something to the effect that The Conjuring movie was highly accurate and that kind of blows my mind.

Ima watch Trick r Treat tonight.

1604058846583.png

Watching Doom on Sy Fy.

so, xfinity is having some kind of watch week where certain premium channels are available and I'm noticing AMC+ has a decent horror selection. i'm not sure if they have some kind of partnership with shudder, but i feel like i'm seeing a lot of shudder originals on there.

so, i still watch plenty of terrible horror movies, had to find this thread for one i watched the other day called Butchers (2020), think it was on Prime. For the most part it looked okay, was shot well, etc. like so many others, must be working off a zero budget. it really was a rehash of a lot of things, wrong turn type of thing among others. I don't mind watching these for the most part, it was entertaining enough until.....

Fuck, I was going to put some spoiler tags on this, but I can't imagine anyone else ever stumbling upon this, so I'll just leave it at, really, they both chose to do that and didn't see the problem with doing so?

so, i still watch plenty of terrible horror movies, had to find this thread for one i watched the other day called Butchers (2020), think it was on Prime. For the most part it looked okay, was shot well, etc. like so many others, must be working off a zero budget. it really was a rehash of a lot of things, wrong turn type of thing among others. I don't mind watching these for the most part, it was entertaining enough until.....

Fuck, I was going to put some spoiler tags on this, but I can't imagine anyone else ever stumbling upon this, so I'll just leave it at, really, they both chose to do that and didn't see the problem with doing so?
I'll try to remember to check it out.

I just watched the Fear Street trilogy on Netflix. I liked the use of color and some of the sound design, the acting was meh, the writing was meh, it felt very childish (like made for children), but there are highly sexual scenes (without actual nudity) so it felt off. Maybe it is the political side of me, but the whole lesbian relationship thing felt forced and too front in center for a slasher style flick, especially since it was pronounced in 2 of the 3 movies. Idk, when it happened, I would just eyeroll, felt forced to me. I would give the series a 5/10. It's tolerable, but you're not missing anything special if you don't watch it.

Also, I noticed at the end why it felt childish... it was written by R.L Stein, the author of Goosebumps. So that makes more sense to why it felt that way even though it had some highly sexual scenes.

I'll try to remember to check it out.

I just watched the Fear Street trilogy on Netflix. I liked the use of color and some of the sound design, the acting was meh, the writing was meh, it felt very childish (like made for children), but there are highly sexual scenes (without actual nudity) so it felt off. Maybe it is the political side of me, but the whole lesbian relationship thing felt forced and too front in center for a slasher style flick, especially since it was pronounced in 2 of the 3 movies. Idk, when it happened, I would just eyeroll, felt forced to me. I would give the series a 5/10. It's tolerable, but you're not missing anything special if you don't watch it.

Also, I noticed at the end why it felt childish... it was written by R.L Stein, the author of Goosebumps. So that makes more sense to why it felt that way even though it had some highly sexual scenes.
i feel like you've said similar about other non traditional relationships in movies. it is what it is, reading too much into it is probably on you. i watched fear trilogy and came away same as you thinking it was more of a PG thing made for kids. never thought about the lesbian relationship for a minute. if i recall the first movie, they gave her a gender neutral name, so it was a bit of reveal when it turned out to be a girl rather than a cat on the football team. it would just make sense in the following movies with essentially the same characters that they'd have a relationship together.

also to the R.L. Stein revelation, I think I read this was a work where he moved from kids as his audience to teens, so it was still a work marketed to the younger crowd. Thought it was a decent enough series overall.

also, you really don't have to check out butchers, i was being kind in my review. it's wasn't good, though it'd be a good reminder on how bad movies can be.

i feel like you've said similar about other non traditional relationships in movies. it is what it is, reading too much into it is probably on you. i watched fear trilogy and came away same as you thinking it was more of a PG thing made for kids. never thought about the lesbian relationship for a minute. if i recall the first movie, they gave her a gender neutral name, so it was a bit of reveal when it turned out to be a girl rather than a cat on the football team. it would just make sense in the following movies with essentially the same characters that they'd have a relationship together.

also to the R.L. Stein revelation, I think I read this was a work where he moved from kids as his audience to teens, so it was still a work marketed to the younger crowd. Thought it was a decent enough series overall.

also, you really don't have to check out butchers, i was being kind in my review. it's wasn't good, though it'd be a good reminder on how bad movies can be.
I actually said it out loud, when they showed the lead girl looking at the football player and the girl groping, that it was a girl. I figured just based on the political climate. It isn't about a gay relationship, it's about how absurd everything is. They grew apart, ok... oh, now it turns out one was scared of coming out, whatever... oh, now they are in a situation that leads them back together. It is actually a very typical story in that way, the difference is the use of dialogue that doesn't stress the orientation of the characters as some sort of focal point in their character make up. Make them be in love, whatever, but stop making everything they do, decide, or are about gay unless it is a movie about that, this is a slasher movie for crying out loud. If I am supposed to care about this relationship, then you need to let them get out of their way and not force it. I know a lot of gay people and they don't walk around saying 'I'm gay' like movies seem to have been doing. It feels forced when characters that are supposed to be gay (and others know) and yet they have to have scenes they say 'I'm gay' even with the other character that they are gay with lol.

Think I'm reading to much into that lol, you should see me with time travel movies... omg, I am really bad when it comes to that topic.

I'm waiting on Malignant, CandyMan, Halloween Kills, Don't Breathe 2, The Night House, the new TCM, and Lamb has my interest as well lol.