I need convincing

Which one?

• Total voters
The x is 3x more powerful in gpu performance more ram I'd have to dbl check the processor. I personally won't buy an S to play 1080 I would rather extra hp under the hood for better performance.

The S is supposed to basically be a 1080 machine where the X is supposed to be 4k machine but there are other differences.

When I bought the one x at release (the previous best console for performance) it too was a 4k capable gaming machine, but I found the enhancement of draw detail and graphics improvement for just being "enhanced for one x" to be great(in 1080) that 4k was meh and the extra power at 1080 eliminated frame rate lag while looking better than the xbox one/s versions of games .

That said the series s won't utilize the one x version of games if they are not "series s|x" optimized where the series x will run the one x optimized versions. Since you're considering it at release it will be a couple years before the performance gains are truly realized for the new series, so if not optimized having the better version may matter to you.

The x has a disc drive where the s doesn't, though reviews have said it's better to get a purpose built 4k uhd player I haven't used mine.
3X more powerful? Sounds like a no-brainer.

So the S will only play games labeled S or X/S? And the X will play everything?

How is the space? That is one thing I was pretty disappointed with when I got my Xbox One. I didn't realize how big some of these games were and didn't want to buy the discs because.... that is kind of the point, you know. But downloaded like 8 games for the Xbox One and that filled it up. RD2 and Fallout 4 took up so much space. Now I need to uninstall games if I want something else and that makes me feel like I don't own that game any more you know what I mean. So how is the space relative to the size of the games?

Also, backwards compatibility - you said that the new Xbox finally allows all backward compatibility? Clarifying.

3X more powerful? Sounds like a no-brainer.

So the S will only play games labeled S or X/S? And the X will play everything?

How is the space? That is one thing I was pretty disappointed with when I got my Xbox One. I didn't realize how big some of these games were and didn't want to buy the discs because.... that is kind of the point, you know. But downloaded like 8 games for the Xbox One and that filled it up. RD2 and Fallout 4 took up so much space. Now I need to uninstall games if I want something else and that makes me feel like I don't own that game any more you know what I mean. So how is the space relative to the size of the games?

Also, backwards compatibility - you said that the new Xbox finally allows all backward compatibility? Clarifying.
The S will play backwards compatibility just fine, it just doesnt get the Xbox One X optimized version (the 2017 most powerful version that was 4k gaming compatible) but as far as graphical enhancements it wont get any on older games unless it gets X|S enhanced

Oh the S storage capacity starts off at half the size of the Series X too.

Once Devs start taking advantage of the higher spec'd NVME drives game size will go down because it doesnt have to have assets duplicated (so that spinning disc drives can access faster it duplicates assets all over)

Right now the Series X has a 1TB NVME drive (uber fast like 10X faster than a SATA3 SSD) The way i alwasy did my old xbox was id move things off a 2TB external drive to my SSD (i used a Samsung EVO SSD for my game drive and used USB3 because it was still faster than the internal drives) In this case you could do the same, or even play from an external drive but load times will be affected. X|S games have to play from the internal drive so you can use one drive as a holding space for games you cant fit on th emain drive.

Not sure if you know this but even if you delete the game you still "own" it you just have to redownload it when you want to play I usually only play 5-6 games at a time i probably have 8-10 on my system (depends on size of games) i have a few that are over 100GB per game

MS has been working on backwards compatibility all the way back to the OG Xbox, ALL games from Xbox One will be supported on the Series X|S but they have a huge list that keeps growing of 360 and original Xbox games that are supported too.

1614198777231.png

Oh the S storage capacity starts off at half the size of the Series X too.
Fuck that.
Once Devs start taking advantage of the higher spec'd NVME drives game size will go down because it doesnt have to have assets duplicated (so that spinning disc drives can access faster it duplicates assets all over)
So are you saying that games will look better and be smaller in size?
Right now the Series X has a 1TB NVME drive (uber fast like 10X faster than a SATA3 SSD) The way i alwasy did my old xbox was id move things off a 2TB external drive to my SSD (i used a Samsung EVO SSD for my game drive and used USB3 because it was still faster than the internal drives) In this case you could do the same, or even play from an external drive but load times will be affected. X|S games have to play from the internal drive so you can use one drive as a holding space for games you cant fit on th emain drive.
I am just going to disregard all those numbers and letters and assume you are talking about hard drives lol. I know TB stands for terabyte lol.

One drive? My preference is to not buy any discs and just download everything straight on to the console itself.
Not sure if you know this but even if you delete the game you still "own" it you just have to redownload it when you want to play I usually only play 5-6 games at a time i probably have 8-10 on my system (depends on size of games) i have a few that are over 100GB per game
Oh I know I still own it, it just doesn't feel like it because I can't go in and access it any time. I am also not sure how to keep track of my bought but not installed games.
MS has been working on backwards compatibility all the way back to the OG Xbox, ALL games from Xbox One will be supported on the Series X|S but they have a huge list that keeps growing of 360 and original Xbox games that are supported too.

View attachment 21934
Even though I am not as big on gaming as I used to be, it seems like the X is the best bang for its buck when you factor in longevity as well.

Fuck that.

So are you saying that games will look better and be smaller in size?

I am just going to disregard all those numbers and letters and assume you are talking about hard drives lol. I know TB stands for terabyte lol.

One drive? My preference is to not buy any discs and just download everything straight on to the console itself.

Oh I know I still own it, it just doesn't feel like it because I can't go in and access it any time. I am also not sure how to keep track of my bought but not installed games.

Even though I am not as big on gaming as I used to be, it seems like the X is the best bang for its buck when you factor in longevity as well.
Yes.

No im not actually talking about using the optical disc drive.

I am talking about having an external HDD for more storage (youve always been able to do this but with S|X titles it will be a little more nuanced you wont be able to play S|X titles directly from an external storage device, though there are storage upgrades 1TB upgrade is like 200 bucks soooo unless you need the speed you can get a USB enclosure for like 10-20 bucks and throw a 2TB HDD (54 bucks) in it and expand your storage that way and just move games around like that, it is faster than downloading and if you have data caps will help you there.

I personally dont mind redownloading things ill keep my main games that ill always go and pick back up and delete older games that i may have lost interest in, especially since i have gamepass i can constantly download new titles.

the Series X is hands down the best bang for your buck on the market (you cannot come close to building a PC with same capabilities and specs for anywhere near 500)

Yes.

No im not actually talking about using the optical disc drive.

I am talking about having an external HDD for more storage (youve always been able to do this but with S|X titles it will be a little more nuanced you wont be able to play S|X titles directly from an external storage device, though there are storage upgrades 1TB upgrade is like 200 bucks soooo unless you need the speed you can get a USB enclosure for like 10-20 bucks and throw a 2TB HDD (54 bucks) in it and expand your storage that way and just move games around like that, it is faster than downloading and if you have data caps will help you there.

I personally dont mind redownloading things ill keep my main games that ill always go and pick back up and delete older games that i may have lost interest in, especially since i have gamepass i can constantly download new titles.

the Series X is hands down the best bang for your buck on the market (you cannot come close to building a PC with same capabilities and specs for anywhere near 500)
I read that wrong lol. I thought you said it is better than anything a PC can do... then I saw you said for $500 lol.

Regarding the external HDD, do they need to be Xbox version or can you just buy anything external HDD? Or is there a game specific type of external HDD?

Lol you're probably like this dude is an idiot.

I read that wrong lol. I thought you said it is better than anything a PC can do... then I saw you said for $500 lol.

Regarding the external HDD, do they need to be Xbox version or can you just buy anything external HDD? Or is there a game specific type of external HDD?

Lol you're probably like this dude is an idiot.
Nah, for Xbox One games and older it can run off any ol HDD, and you can still move X|S games over to the HDD when you are not using to avoid deleting and having to redownload. You can get bigger drives obviously for more money 8TB for like 150 (thats a shit ton of games you'd probably never have to delete any game you actually play)

HDD

Enclosure

Not everyone is passionate about tech like me and i get the deer in headlights look often (from my wife or family) That is why i said if you have questions about something i bring up lemme know and ill elaborate or do a better job to explain (i really do suck at teaching)

@NU_FTW - so I bought a Switch lmao. Figured that was best for what my kids are into right now. Plus, it was on sale for like $230.

I will still probably get the Xbox Series X like you suggested, but I think I will wait for... 1) a game that I TRULY want such as the new College Football game and 2) hoping that it will go down in price by then.

you ever play the college football games? Whenever this comes out, assuming we all still frequent here, we should all run a season together. I did that once in NCAA 14 and it was really fun. Only difficult part was if you played each other during the season, that you had to schedule a time for both players to actually get online and play it. Plus the lag was frustrating sometimes.

Either one will be kick ass for you. I recommend looking at their exclusive titles, and see which ones you prefer the most. That spiderman game does look interesting, but it gets repetitive pretty quick from what I saw.

I refuse to buy Sony, because they continuously enter exclusive deals to fuck over gamers... so fuck them. They won't get my money.

@NU_FTW - so I bought a Switch lmao. Figured that was best for what my kids are into right now. Plus, it was on sale for like $230.

I will still probably get the Xbox Series X like you suggested, but I think I will wait for... 1) a game that I TRULY want such as the new College Football game and 2) hoping that it will go down in price by then.

you ever play the college football games? Whenever this comes out, assuming we all still frequent here, we should all run a season together. I did that once in NCAA 14 and it was really fun. Only difficult part was if you played each other during the season, that you had to schedule a time for both players to actually get online and play it. Plus the lag was frustrating sometimes.
I play anything i can get friends together on and be social i used to play the shit out of football games, its been a while but the fun can be re-learning it.

If i want to play games on a tablet i can also stream from my xbox to one of my ipads or android tablets not sure if the surface does it for the series x yet last i knew the w10 streaming app was still in beta but the xbox app for android and ipad both allow it pretty neat :D

enjoy your switch :D

I'm a PlayStation guy. And before any of the Xbox gays call me gay, let me just say they're gay. 'Tis all.

I'm a PlayStation guy. And before any of the Xbox gays call me gay, let me just say they're gay. 'Tis all.
HA CHUMP.

do all 3 and you can play anything.

Im gettin a PS5 digital later in the year when it is easier to get already got the series x and PC :D

fanbois are silly

HA CHUMP.

Im gettin a PS5 digital later in the year when it is easier to get already got the series x and PC :D

fanbois are silly
I had the first Xbox back in the day along with my PS.

HA CHUMP.

fanbois are silly
I saw rumblings the other day the next Elder Scrolls might not come out until 2026/2027. I laughed when I read that. You'd think it would've been in development this whole time. I would hope Microsoft would release that on PS in addition to Xbox/PC.

you still looking at this? i still say go with what your kids are going with. my friends were gunning for N64, I went N64. usually went to another friends house to play mario kart, WCW vs. NWO, golden eye, etc... but now that shits connected online, it may not be as personal as sitting in a room with x amount of people, but it's still something.

I saw rumblings the other day the next Elder Scrolls might not come out until 2026/2027. I laughed when I read that. You'd think it would've been in development this whole time. I would hope Microsoft would release that on PS in addition to Xbox/PC.
i've been waiting on the next gran turismo for like a decade. gran turismo sport reviews didn't strike me as something i was going for.

ES6 who knows when its coming out but i am willing to bet on PC/Xbox only

ES6 who knows when its coming out but i am willing to bet on PC/Xbox only
If it does end up being exclusive, I would consider buying an Xbox. Would really depend on the game's reception and reviews. Skyrim is a pretty high bar.

If it does end up being exclusive, I would consider buying an Xbox. Would really depend on the game's reception and reviews. Skyrim is a pretty high bar.
My guess is if ES6 was "almost done" but not next gen MS said "fuck that take your time and make this thing sing on a Series X" It is going to be a few years before we get anything remotely close to taking full advantage of these new consoles (as is always the case with new stuff)

I love the Microsoft ecosystem with them making all their own titles (and pretty much all of EA) plus others available on Game Pass, they really hit the nail on the head with that one. I cant wait to play Halo Infinite and see what they come up with when people bitched about graphic detail etc fromt he trailers

I play anything i can get friends together on and be social i used to play the shit out of football games, its been a while but the fun can be re-learning it.

If i want to play games on a tablet i can also stream from my xbox to one of my ipads or android tablets not sure if the surface does it for the series x yet last i knew the w10 streaming app was still in beta but the xbox app for android and ipad both allow it pretty neat :D

enjoy your switch :D
speaking gibberish again lol.

Do you know anything about video graphics/animation by chance?