Insights To Nick Saban Retiring

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 10,500.00

Note this isn't an Alabama problem it is a college football problem:

Per Nick:

"I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I'm going to play because they're thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?" Saban continued.

"Our program here was always built on how much value can we create for your future and your personal development, academic success in graduating and developing an NFL career on the field.

"So I'm saying to myself, 'Maybe this doesn't work anymore, that the goals and aspirations are just different and that it's all about how much money can I make as a college player?'"

So, basically the players were doing the same thing the coaches have done forever? Each year, seeing which school would be a better fit, and then getting them to pay them more. But now it's a problem?

So, basically the players were doing the same thing the coaches have done forever? Each year, seeing which school would be a better fit, and then getting them to pay them more. But now it's a problem?
Yes, and also they are openly asking for money as opposed to the old system where Nick could control them better because they didn't know how much kids at other schools were getting paid in McDonalds bags.

I saw this and agree with him. College sports used to be great, because it was all about the competition on the field and pride in your university. Players came for an education, but they got life lessons and an education on how to be a better player for the next level(for those that can make it).
Now its about how much money can I get, how much playing time will I get. If they dont get it, the transfer portal awaits(if they sign at all).

I said this when they opened the door for this, this will(already has) ruined the sport we all loved and waited on each season. And now with states going to HS players able to get NIL, we will see HS players getting big money deals and driving Mercedes to high school. We are creating a society of prima donna's that will not be worth the money they are getting because its all about the money to them, not learning the craft and creating value.

I saw this and agree with him. College sports used to be great, because it was all about the competition on the field and pride in your university. Players came for an education, but they got life lessons and an education on how to be a better player for the next level(for those that can make it).
Now its about how much money can I get, how much playing time will I get. If they dont get it, the transfer portal awaits(if they sign at all).

I said this when they opened the door for this, this will(already has) ruined the sport we all loved and waited on each season. And now with states going to HS players able to get NIL, we will see HS players getting big money deals and driving Mercedes to high school. We are creating a society of prima donna's that will not be worth the money they are getting because its all about the money to them, not learning the craft and creating value.
consent GIF

I think you mean, "it sucks when everyone else was able to legally do what we've been illegally doing for 20 years"

First, that won't happen at the HS level. No one is paying HS players that type of money. Second, this will self-regulate ... there is already donor fatigue. Third, the game has never been more popular. Every time something changes people saying it's being ruined. It's not being ruined, it's just changing because it's so popular that there is so much money to be made.

First, that won't happen at the HS level. No one is paying HS players that type of money. Second, this will self-regulate ... there is already donor fatigue. Third, the game has never been more popular. Every time something changes people saying it's being ruined. It's not being ruined, it's just changing because it's so popular that there is so much money to be made.
I keep hearing about "donor fatigue" but don't see it first hand. But then again I'm not paying a second of attention to non-A&M schools. Still just as much fervor to pump money into collectives in College Station so I welcome everyone else petering out.

Note this isn't an Alabama problem it is a college football problem:

Per Nick:

"I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I'm going to play because they're thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?" Saban continued.

"Our program here was always built on how much value can we create for your future and your personal development, academic success in graduating and developing an NFL career on the field.

"So I'm saying to myself, 'Maybe this doesn't work anymore, that the goals and aspirations are just different and that it's all about how much money can I make as a college player?'"

It's most likely booster fatigue.

Nick's just not 'directly' saying it.

NIL doesn't bother me, per se, but the incessant talk about finance on a sports sight does. This is nothing new for me. I always want to read about baseball, but put contract negotiations in the business section.

High school players are already getting valuations in the millions. Whether their state allows NIL or not, I am not sure, but a simple google search shows some basketball and football players being valued in the millions already, at the high school level. Yes these kids will find a sucker. As was the case with the Albert Means recruitment back in the early 2000's. His coach sold his value to a group of boosters willing to pony up $200K for an overweight and very lackluster player. He was terminated from his NLI after news broke the boosters paid him, and he eventually signed with Memphis, and became a footnote in a career that never lived up to the hype or promise. He never made an NFL roster except in preseason, where he was let go. He never was worth even that money. This is the point, NIL for these high school kids is going to breed kids that are all about the money, not the game. And this will not self regulate itself. Look at what these kids are getting now. Some in college were being paid more than some of the starters in the NFL.

look at who I responded to. Maybe thats a clue as to why I posted that post. I figured you knew how this place worked.
Yes, you are trying to change the conversation. It is about Saban bitching because his bag man system isn't working in the NIL world so you moved the goalposts to talk about the school of the person commenting. But the argument isn't if Michigan cheated, it is how Sabain is pussyaching because his cheating system is outdated.

Thought you knew how basic conversation worked, must be wrong.

High school players are already getting valuations in the millions. Whether their state allows NIL or not, I am not sure, but a simple google search shows some basketball and football players being valued in the millions already, at the high school level. Yes these kids will find a sucker. As was the case with the Albert Means recruitment back in the early 2000's. His coach sold his value to a group of boosters willing to pony up $200K for an overweight and very lackluster player. He was terminated from his NLI after news broke the boosters paid him, and he eventually signed with Memphis, and became a footnote in a career that never lived up to the hype or promise. He never made an NFL roster except in preseason, where he was let go. He never was worth even that money. This is the point, NIL for these high school kids is going to breed kids that are all about the money, not the game. And this will not self regulate itself. Look at what these kids are getting now. Some in college were being paid more than some of the starters in the NFL.
Very few pro sports players do so because they love the game. If they had a regular 40 hour career they wouldn't be going out there playing their sport every night or every weekend. They are playing for the money, regardless of their age.

It can't be cheap keeping a roster like Bama's intact.

Like others have said..... Especially now that going rates are on the table.

Basically Saban gets through spring practice and has a pretty good idea who's gonna get playing time. Are they practicing with the one's or two's, or on the scout team?
Then comes the next transfer portal window April 15 - 30th and he's got a bunch of guys that want to shop around. Whether that be for the $$ or the playing time elsewhere.

He could literally be starting over come fall practice.

It's most likely booster fatigue.

Nick's just not 'directly' saying it.

This was bound to happen. Absent some rich fuck who just doesn't care ... the guy at MSU who paid $100 million for Tucker as an example.