Insights To Nick Saban Retiring

Very few pro sports players do so because they love the game. If they had a regular 40 hour career they wouldn't be going out there playing their sport every night or every weekend. They are playing for the money, regardless of their age.
At the pro level you should be playing for the money. NIL has taken the Amateur out of high school and college sports. IMO, no college player should be making more than a professional player at the very least.

High school players are already getting valuations in the millions. Whether their state allows NIL or not, I am not sure, but a simple google search shows some basketball and football players being valued in the millions already, at the high school level. Yes these kids will find a sucker. As was the case with the Albert Means recruitment back in the early 2000's. His coach sold his value to a group of boosters willing to pony up $200K for an overweight and very lackluster player. He was terminated from his NLI after news broke the boosters paid him, and he eventually signed with Memphis, and became a footnote in a career that never lived up to the hype or promise. He never made an NFL roster except in preseason, where he was let go. He never was worth even that money. This is the point, NIL for these high school kids is going to breed kids that are all about the money, not the game. And this will not self regulate itself. Look at what these kids are getting now. Some in college were being paid more than some of the starters in the NFL.
Yes, a few here and there. So what? They would have gotten paid one way or the other. Now it's out in the open. But, my high school that sucks at football ain't paying their players. They lose money. And no alumni care that much about high school football. If they do in some places, power to them.

It will self-regulate. It already is. See the post above about TCU. On a UGA board, a guy who has given the schools athletics over a million dollars made a post about how he's about tapped out. He can afford it, just isn't going to do it.

I have no empathy for millionaire coaches bitching that their job is tough. Fuck 'em. Earn your millions, dipshits.

It can't be cheap keeping a roster like Bama's intact.

Like others have said..... Especially now that going rates are on the table.

Basically Saban gets through spring practice and has a pretty good idea who's gonna get playing time. Are they practicing with the one's or two's, or on the scout team?
Then comes the next transfer portal window April 15 - 30th and he's got a bunch of guys that want to shop around. Whether that be for the $$ or the playing time elsewhere.

He could literally be starting over come fall practice.
Alabama never took the field under Saban without the most talent, so they can cry me a fucking river. Even now, they will be top 5 in talent this year. Poor things.

At the pro level you should be playing for the money. NIL has taken the Amateur out of high school and college sports. IMO, no college player should be making more than a professional player at the very least.
If a college player is more marketable than a pro player then why shouldn't they get compensated as such? And don't tell me "the education". The top college athletes aren't sticking around for the diploma, they are going where the money is.

Yes, a few here and there. So what? They would have gotten paid one way or the other. Now it's out in the open. But, my high school that sucks at football ain't paying their players. They lose money. And no alumni care that much about high school football. If they do in some places, power to them.

It will self-regulate. It already is. See the post above about TCU. On a UGA board, a guy who has given the schools athletics over a million dollars made a post about how he's about tapped out. He can afford it, just isn't going to do it.

I have no empathy for millionaire coaches bitching that their job is tough. Fuck 'em. Earn your millions, dipshits.
That's why you need investment funds and accountants that know how to run them. Yes if you bring a dollar in from a donor and pay it out, it is good one time. If you bring that dollar in and use the gains from investing it then you can use that one dollar over and over.

Yes, you are trying to change the conversation. It is about Saban bitching because his bag man system isn't working in the NIL world so you moved the goalposts to talk about the school of the person commenting. But the argument isn't if Michigan cheated, it is how Sabain is pussyaching because his cheating system is outdated.

Thought you knew how basic conversation worked, must be wrong.

Michigan returned a lot of veteran players last season.

Saban's problem was that so many players were leaving early for the NFL. His roster was so deep in talent he could just reload year-in and year-out and stay elite.

Enter the transfer portal for players who don't want to sit the bench, and NIL for those that know their worth, and that's a game changer for the GOAT.

NIL doesn't bother me, per se, but the incessant talk about finance on a sports sight does. This is nothing new for me. I always want to read about baseball, but put contract negotiations in the business section.
I get that, as as an old guy who used to love it when it was more pure, it would be great to have that again. But back then it wasn't a multi-billion dollar business. Once that happened, it had to change.

That's why the Dartmouth thing is so interesting to me. Dartmouth basketball has to be a losing money program. Let's say they unionize and say we want a ton of money. Dartmouth can simply say, we don't have it. We are shutting down the program. Or, we will pay you $7.25 an hour (NH min wage), but that's all we got. If you don't want to work for that, we'll get others that do.

Michigan returned a lot of veteran players last season.

Saban's problem was that so many players were leaving early for the NFL. His roster was so deep in talent he could just reload year-in and year-out and stay elite.

Enter the transfer portal for players who don't want to sit the bench, and NIL for those that know their worth, and that's a game changer for the GOAT.
In other words, he was a victim of his own success. About 130 other CFB coaches would kill for his "problem."

This was bound to happen. Absent some rich fuck who just doesn't care ... the guy at MSU who paid $100 million for Tucker as an example.
Collectives will soon, if not already, just turn into investments that pay out in interest and other gains to players. Similar to that of school endowments. That's the only way these are sustainable without perpetual contributions forever.

Collectives will soon, if not already, just turn into investments that pay out in interest and other gains to players. Similar to that of school endowments. That's the only way these are sustainable without perpetual contributions forever.

Yep. Boosters (BMD's) will mainly go back to being the peeps who buy out failed coaching contracts.

A booster walked into Trev Albert's office and cut a check for $15 million to fire Frost. If they'd just waited two weeks that buyout would have dropped to $7.5 million.

They didn't care...... "Here's the money, get rid of Frost today".

Yes, you are trying to change the conversation. It is about Saban bitching because his bag man system isn't working in the NIL world so you moved the goalposts to talk about the school of the person commenting. But the argument isn't if Michigan cheated, it is how Sabain is pussyaching because his cheating system is outdated.

Thought you knew how basic conversation worked, must be wrong.
So being asked a question and responding is now bitching? Last I checked, Saban is no longer a coach, so he can discuss what he wants with reporters on subjects that he once had to be very careful on what he said. He can take the gloves off now, and I hope he does more of this.
My conversation didnt change, until I was responded to about bag men and cheating. If you dont think your universities ever did this, then I have some land I want to sell you. Money hand shakes have been around since I was in high school, and that has been a long time ago now.

So being asked a question and responding is now bitching? Last I checked, Saban is no longer a coach, so he can discuss what he wants with reporters on subjects that he once had to be very careful on what he said. He can take the gloves off now, and I hope he does more of this.
My conversation didnt change, until I was responded to about bag men and cheating. If you dont think your universities ever did this, then I have some land I want to sell you. Money hand shakes have been around since I was in high school, and that has been a long time ago now.
No, being asked a question and NOT answering but instead changing the topic is bitching. I don't care if Saban is coaching or not, he is the one giving the interview.

I get that, as as an old guy who used to love it when it was more pure, it would be great to have that again. But back then it wasn't a multi-billion dollar business. Once that happened, it had to change.

That's why the Dartmouth thing is so interesting to me. Dartmouth basketball has to be a losing money program. Let's say they unionize and say we want a ton of money. Dartmouth can simply say, we don't have it. We are shutting down the program. Or, we will pay you $7.25 an hour (NH min wage), but that's all we got. If you don't want to work for that, we'll get others that do.
Does Dartmouth play man-to-man or zone on defense?

If a college player is more marketable than a pro player then why shouldn't they get compensated as such? And don't tell me "the education". The top college athletes aren't sticking around for the diploma, they are going where the money is.
So your players dont come back to finish their education once they go to the NFL? I hear about Alabama players doing so all the time, even years after they left. The point of all of this is about "kids" being influenced by money instead of the competition, game, and the sport they love to play. Money is ruining this game, more so now that the NCAA has practically been rendered useless where this is concerned.

Money hand shakes have been around since I was in high school, and that has been a long time ago now.

428f0646-9f66-4ac3-9dc5-8717e0d9202b_text.gif

d9a6e062-408c-41d3-8a47-e873438ab369_text.gif

No, being asked a question and NOT answering but instead changing the topic is bitching. I don't care if Saban is coaching or not, he is the one giving the interview.
And as such, he can do as he pleases. What part of, he is no longer under NCAA thumb screws and can say what he wants about the state of the sport he was one of the best to ever coach in? I get the Saban hate, I really do. Some of you take it to a new level though. Not pointing fingers, just saying some of you. I will let those who want to decide if I was speaking to them bark first.

When this all comes full circle and the colleges are basically farm clubs for pro teams, and players are getting big money contracts for NIL, that are essentially smile once a month and you get this check for 5 million just for smiling and maybe stop by our store once in a while to sign autographs, you'll see the end of an amateur sport. This is already happening by the way.

Alabama never took the field under Saban without the most talent, so they can cry me a fucking river. Even now, they will be top 5 in talent this year. Poor things.

Vanessa Lachey Hawaii GIF by CBS

Kirby is the chip off the old block. His talent level on his teams is reaching the Saban level, if not better than Sabans. Kirby is going to see his issues with keeping a team together, much like Saban was seeing in the end. All coaches will see this. You might get a diamond in the rough at some smaller school, but if a kid has a stellar year, his options for big money will be opened up exponentially and he will leave for greener pastures. This is how it will work from now on and big money schools will be able to stay on top simply by having the best paid roster in college ball, meanwhile the have nots will wilt and die, or go down a level.

Make all scholarships 4 or 5 year contracts with mutual options for 4th and 5th year.

Our program here was always built on how much value can we create for your future and your personal development, academic success in graduating and developing an NFL career on the field.
lol. Yes I’m sure every player over the last 15 years chose Alabama for the personal development, academic success and graduating.

They were able to sell an NFL career because nothing else was ever expected of them.