Insights To Nick Saban Retiring

Royal retired in 1976.. and retired as AD in 1980. Instead of complaining about what was happening he just retired and never went back into coaching again.

He was in a different era.. Switzer was all in on the bag dropping.. had their actually been a even playing field like today.. he wouldn't have had the advantages he did while at ou.
Oh look
Texas never cheats, up in that Ivory Tower.

That's some revisionist bullshit right there.

Royal learned from the best, and it got him 3 NC's

I have to disagree with the GOAT on this. He is the GOAT, in the middle of an unprecedented title run at Alafuckinbama. If you are signing players by offering large NIL deals, and find that money is their motivator, that is on you. Lay with dogs and you get fleas. I am not saying that Bama shouldn't offer NIL money and Lord knows the athletes deserve it but Saban decided to have a culture whereas money is the sole motivator.

You know they may leave in a year. You know that they are coming to Bama for cash up front. When you surround yourself with people that will step over dollars to collect dimes, don't be surprised when you are in the middle of a stupid group. Let them go to other school and make bank. When you find talent that has figured out that it is far more profitable to be given the resources and coaching to make the NFL than cash now, get them out of the portal at a reduced NIL rate. IMHO Saban tried to do what's best for right now and broke the culture as a result.
While i see your point, I am not seeing how this works though. If the kids are looking at cash up front, they know if they have the talent they will make the NFL. Sort of like with Julian Sayin at TOSU, or Caleb Downs. both have the talent to make the NFL, so they are going for the money at the first level knowing they will get paid at the next level. This is a drawback for teams not sitting on big NIL collectives. This is why the era of the haves will be an era where we may see fatigue among football fans when the same 8-12 teams make the playoffs, with the ones with the highest paid rosters always making title games. At some point it will break the University collectives as kids ask for more and more money.
Can you see how this will be a detractor, as it is not going to self correct itself as some seem to think. At some point some entity is going to need total control over this, like the collective bargaining agreement. Kids will keep asking for the moon and stars, and some fool will gladly write that check until there is no money left for all the other players with their hands out. A base scale, with a top position scale will need to be agreed upon by someone, or this will get out of hand.

It happens here. Let NIL enter into the equation and these kids will start auctioning themselves openly.
And with the school choice being in play now, they will be able to do so and pay for it themselves out of NIL money they get.

Oh look
Texas never cheats, up in that Ivory Tower.

That's some revisionist bullshit right there.

Royal learned from the best, and it got him 3 NC's
lol when did UT ever get punished?? the joke was that they couldn't win after segregation since we were the last all white team to win a championship..

where are the gold transam stories?? Dickerson said UT pitch was come here or you will never find work in the state LOL... some bag dropping pitch that was..

or how about asking Earl Campbell what the pitch was for him to choose us over ou? yeah lots of bag dropping :)

guess running the wishbone before anyone else was cause of dropping bags too :)

While i see your point, I am not seeing how this works though. If the kids are looking at cash up front, they know if they have the talent they will make the NFL. Sort of like with Julian Sayin at TOSU, or Caleb Downs. both have the talent to make the NFL, so they are going for the money at the first level knowing they will get paid at the next level. This is a drawback for teams not sitting on big NIL collectives. This is why the era of the haves will be an era where we may see fatigue among football fans when the same 8-12 teams make the playoffs, with the ones with the highest paid rosters always making title games. At some point it will break the University collectives as kids ask for more and more money.
Can you see how this will be a detractor, as it is not going to self correct itself as some seem to think. At some point some entity is going to need total control over this, like the collective bargaining agreement. Kids will keep asking for the moon and stars, and some fool will gladly write that check until there is no money left for all the other players with their hands out. A base scale, with a top position scale will need to be agreed upon by someone, or this will get out of hand.

From the perspective of a semi stoned Auburn fan that is really working through this for the first time as I type what will be a long and nuanced idea:
Saban could have turned down everyone that was more worried about NIL money than earning a championship and still came out with a talent pool that he could win championships with given the resources Alabama has.
This is doubly true with the portal supplementing that talent. Just take a hit on the initial recruiting class and let the culture you built survive, then IF the recruits figure it out and enter the portal from the other school, then take the talent that fits the culture. Alabama, under Saban, should have never gotten into bidding wars over recruits. It just leaves you with a group of mercs. It's not that he was just the GOAT coach, it was Alabama had the GOAT culture. It took a coach like Saban to develop that culture and it was that culture that won him the championships. It is almost like judging kids on character issues except I am not saying it is bad character to want to make the most money. It is a bad culture though.

From the perspective of a semi stoned Auburn fan that is really working through this for the first time as I type what will be a long and nuanced idea:
Saban could have turned down everyone that was more worried about NIL money than earning a championship and still came out with a talent pool that he could win championships with given the resources Alabama has.
This is doubly true with the portal supplementing that talent. Just take a hit on the initial recruiting class and let the culture you built survive, then IF the recruits figure it out and enter the portal from the other school, then take the talent that fits the culture. Alabama, under Saban, should have never gotten into bidding wars over recruits. It just leaves you with a group of mercs. It's not that he was just the GOAT coach, it was Alabama had the GOAT culture. It took a coach like Saban to develop that culture and it was that culture that won him the championships. It is almost like judging kids on character issues except I am not saying it is bad character to want to make the most money. It is a bad culture though.
I can respect your comment. The one thing I want to point out is, this is not about Saban or Alabama in general. This is about college football as a whole. It is going to get out of hand. You can bank on that. And it is going to harm the sport that we have(well maybe not all of us) so loved for years. This is going to blow up into a major issue for schools constantly looking for NIL deals for kids just to try and get them. Pretty soon, joe smoe whose a superstar receiver out of backwater nowhere will be asking for a $30 million dollar NIL deal up front, having never played a down at the college level. Problem I see with this is, talent at the high school level does not always translate to the college level. As I posted previously, Bama got hammered by the NCAA for Albert Means, when boosters paid a coach and the player $200K to sign with Alabama. When the university found out, the released him from his NLI and he eventually landed at Memphis. He was not the player billed, even at Memphis, ending up his senior year making second team all conference. Talent at the HS level does not equate to star at the college level, hence why you should never pay for incoming talent likes its a proven commodity. This is why i am saying this will end up being bad for the sport. nothing to do with Bama or Saban, its about college football itself.

I can respect your comment. The one thing I want to point out is, this is not about Saban or Alabama in general. This is about college football as a whole. It is going to get out of hand. You can bank on that. And it is going to harm the sport that we have(well maybe not all of us) so loved for years. This is going to blow up into a major issue for schools constantly looking for NIL deals for kids just to try and get them. Pretty soon, joe smoe whose a superstar receiver out of backwater nowhere will be asking for a $30 million dollar NIL deal up front, having never played a down at the college level. Problem I see with this is, talent at the high school level does not always translate to the college level. As I posted previously, Bama got hammered by the NCAA for Albert Means, when boosters paid a coach and the player $200K to sign with Alabama. When the university found out, the released him from his NLI and he eventually landed at Memphis. He was not the player billed, even at Memphis, ending up his senior year making second team all conference. Talent at the HS level does not equate to star at the college level, hence why you should never pay for incoming talent likes its a proven commodity. This is why i am saying this will end up being bad for the sport. nothing to do with Bama or Saban, its about college football itself.
I think this will get bad and self-correct just based off of market principles if left alone. Now I am not saying there should be not intervention, just that anything that does not nail the problem will probably exasperate it. IMHO Kirby is probably doing the best job at managing this issue. With or without intervention, I see a few teams like UGA, Bama, OSU and ND's collectives making across the board rates on NIL deals and set the market. I think the only way players make NFL crazy money is if they can become university employees with a revenue sharing contract tied directly to team revenue.

make fun of Saban.. but Switzer would have been bitching even more had this happened in the 80s
well DUH

I commend your grasp of the fucking obvious. :rolleyes:

Cabbage Patch kid?

Cheaters being insufferable. Going to enjoy the shit show coming with UM dropping off the cliff, and the penalties for cheating. I'm going to enjoy watching that.
As much as you enjoyed Michigan doing what Georgia couldn't last year?!?! I'm sure you enjoyed watching Michigan retire Saban. The way Saban outcoached Smart this past year -- I'm thinking the least you could do is say thank you. Hopefully Smart can outcoach DeBoer, the way Harbaugh did.

lol when did UT ever get punished?? the joke was that they couldn't win after segregation since we were the last all white team to win a championship..

where are the gold transam stories?? Dickerson said UT pitch was come here or you will never find work in the state LOL... some bag dropping pitch that was..

or how about asking Earl Campbell what the pitch was for him to choose us over ou? yeah lots of bag dropping :)

guess running the wishbone before anyone else was cause of dropping bags too :)
Wait so you're trying to say Texas hasn't ever paid players? GTFO

I think this will get bad and self-correct just based off of market principles if left alone. Now I am not saying there should be not intervention, just that anything that does not nail the problem will probably exasperate it. IMHO Kirby is probably doing the best job at managing this issue. With or without intervention, I see a few teams like UGA, Bama, OSU and ND's collectives making across the board rates on NIL deals and set the market. I think the only way players make NFL crazy money is if they can become university employees with a revenue sharing contract tied directly to team revenue.
It will get better than it is but there will be panic moves by Rogue Boosters that start military build-ups pretty much every year. Take 2010 if Auburn makes a run and wins a natty you will see other SEC teams start throwing money around like crazy and that scenario will happen in every conference.

This thing is too emotional for market principals to solve it.

It will get better than it is but there will be panic moves by Rogue Boosters that start military build-ups pretty much every year. Take 2010 if Auburn makes a run and wins a natty you will see other SEC teams start throwing money around like crazy and that scenario will happen in every conference.

This thing is too emotional for market principals to solve it.
That will happen here and there regardless, IMHO. What I am saying is that it is not sustainable over time for any one team's boosters. I doubt there are many million/billionaires willing to fund a 100 million/year salary cap on a sport that they don't share revenue from. Sure, right now there is enthusiasm for the new rule, but folks didn't get rich wasting money.

That will happen here and there regardless, IMHO. What I am saying is that it is not sustainable over time for any one team's boosters. I doubt there are many million/billionaires willing to fund a 100 million/year salary cap on a sport that they don't share revenue from. Sure, right now there is enthusiasm for the new rule, but folks didn't get rich wasting money.
They will never get a dime from me because I'm opposed to all this crap.

A high GSR from Alabama is about the same as bragging about a high GSR from a middle school in an average state. No one plays football for Alabama because they want an education.
You missed the part about getting an education. They came knowing that was part of the deal. Yes they get to play for Alabama, but they got an education along the way. Alabama has the second best GSR in the SEC behind Vanderbilt. Sorry if you cannot distinguish the difference between getting an education while playing, and them wanting an education. Many do. Some graduate in three years, while playing football, just so they can graduate and maybe get a masters in year 4, if they stick around for it. Greg McElroy did exactly that very thing, including applying for a Rhodes scholarship as well. Instead he finished his masters in his senior year.

….because they want an education.
The term “student athlete” has been kicked around quite a bit. Major college football has been/seems to be even more and more about being a minor league or farm system for the NFL.

It would be interesting to see how many players would still take classes if they didn’t have to. Just collect their NIL and play football. Eliminate the requirement that they enroll in classes and end the charade.

I personally think a great majority of them would still choose to take classes. They know the odds of a pro career are slim. jmo

As much as you enjoyed Michigan doing what Georgia couldn't last year?!?! I'm sure you enjoyed watching Michigan retire Saban. The way Saban outcoached Smart this past year -- I'm thinking the least you could do is say thank you. Hopefully Smart can outcoach DeBoer, the way Harbaugh did.
DeBoar is a good coach.. he beat us twice in a row in bowl games.. I never put stock into the Alamo Bowl win for them since Bijan and Rojo both opted out and Brooks had a torn groin that he immediately got surgery on 3 days later after the game

This last one stung because, Sark figured it out and what killed us was 2 fumbles as we were driving in the 3rd qtr.. If it hadn't been for that, think we would have won.. the defense finally slowed Pennix down.
Wait so you're trying to say Texas hasn't ever paid players? GTFO
these are the following infractions UT got from the NCAA

1960s:
Texas received a year's probation without sanctions for some minor infractions, including:
  • excessive visits with a prospect,
  • failure of an alumnus to accompany a prospect on the flight of his private airplane to Austin,
  • payment of expenses of a friend of one athlete, and excessive entertainment.
1970s:
UPI breaks with a story that Texas athletes were receiving payment for work not done with the state senate. The NCAA, a UT special committee, and the SWC cleared Texas of any wrongdoing

1980s:
Texas was guilty of small offenses such as handing out $80 or less, selling complimentary tickets and letting players use coaches’ cars for short campus trips.

1982 the Longhorns are put on NCAA probation for a ticket-scalping infarction involving wide receiver Johnny "Lam" Jones.

1987 NCAA put UT on probation for cash payments and benefits give to Tony Degrate by a longtime family friend, who was also a Texas season ticket holder. (This led to the NCAA barring boosters from contacting recruits)

1990s: None

2000s: None

2010s: None

So no, this pales in comparison from what other schools were doing.. this is just on the money side.. there's more on the academic side which UT also got punished for (Ie Eric Metcalf not going to class his first semester or staying in his Dorm)

DeBoar is a good coach.. he beat us twice in a row in bowl games.. I never put stock into the Alamo Bowl win for them since Bijan and Rojo both opted out and Brooks had a torn groin that he immediately got surgery on 3 days later after the game

This last one stung because, Sark figured it out and what killed us was 2 fumbles as we were driving in the 3rd qtr.. If it hadn't been for that, think we would have won.. the defense finally slowed Pennix down.

1960s:
Texas received a year's probation without sanctions for some minor infractions, including:
  • failure of an alumnus to accompany a prospect on the flight of his private airplane to Austin,
1970s:
UPI breaks with a story that Texas athletes were receiving payment for work not done with the state senate. The NCAA, a UT special committee, and the SWC cleared Texas of any wrongdoing

1980s:
Texas was guilty of small offenses such as handing out $80 or less, selling complimentary tickets and letting players use coaches’ cars for short campus trips.

1982 the Longhorns are put on NCAA probation for a ticket-scalping infarction involving wide receiver Johnny "Lam" Jones.

1987 NCAA put UT on probation for cash payments and benefits give to Tony Degrate by a longtime family friend, who was also a Texas season ticket holder. (This led to the NCAA barring boosters from contacting recruits)

So no, this pales in comparison from what other schools were doing.. this is just on the money side.. there's more on the academic side which UT also got punished for (Ie Eric Metcalf not going to class his first semester or staying in his Dorm)
Delusional.

1960s:
1970s:

1980s:

That just proves the rusty cows were the best at not getting caught.

When I was a principal, I had a lot of students like that. Always doing shit but I couldn’t catch ‘em. Doesn’t mean they didn’t do it.