Is 18 holes too many?

ill

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00

yea yea, it's a paywall...but you get the gist.

I remember seeing someone talking about breaking golf courses into 6 hole thirds (might have been Paige Spiranac) and I thought that was an interesting idea.

what do you think?

I remember seeing someone talking about breaking golf courses into 6 hole thirds (might have been Paige Spiranac) and I thought that was an interesting idea.

what do you think?
I kind of get it. Sometimes by about hole #12, l can get tired of it. I always tended to play 9 in the afternoon, so maybe that's why

I kind of get it. Sometimes by about hole #12, l can get tired of it. I always tended to play 9 in the afternoon, so maybe that's why
I can get into a 9 isn't enough, 18 is too many...but I also have a buddy who will convince me to go back to 1 after we finish 18 and see how many more we can get in.

it does take an entire day to play a round, which can be annoying

I’ve always found that my feelings on if 18 holes is too much or too little is directly proportional to how I’m shooting that round.

We have seen 9 hole courses come and (sometimes quickly) go in the past, but maybe in a post millennial world that idea can work much better.

The three sets of 6 holes is intriguing, but I’m already wondering how do you monitor that? I come in and pay for 6 holes, what’s to stop me from playing 12 or 18? Maybe that doesn’t matter if it truly gets younger people in to play just the 6.

I’ve always found that my feelings on if 18 holes is too much or too little is directly proportional to how I’m shooting that round.

We have seen 9 hole courses come and (sometimes quickly) go in the past, but maybe in a post millennial world that idea can work much better.

The three sets of 6 holes is intriguing, but I’m already wondering how do you monitor that? I come in and pay for 6 holes, what’s to stop me from playing 12 or 18? Maybe that doesn’t matter if it truly gets younger people in to play just the 6.
I mean, what is stopping someone who paid for 9 to go and keep playing?

my course has a ranger and sometimes there is a starter, but they don't normally monitor. One group of drunk white dudes looks the same to them.

Reactions: Me

It would be a little more difficult how the courses are set up currently, but probably not that much more difficult than policing 9 vs 18

It would be a little more difficult how the courses are set up currently, but probably not that much more difficult than policing 9 vs 18
stopping after 6 would leave me out in the middle of the course, which would be annoying, I guess...might as well play back to the clubhouse, right?

I mean, what is stopping someone who paid for 9 to go and keep playing?

my course has a ranger and sometimes there is a starter, but they don't normally monitor. One group of drunk white dudes looks the same to them.

Fair points....it was about the only hole I could poke in the idea, and it’s fair to say it wouldn’t create a new problem for the courses.

stopping after 6 would leave me out in the middle of the course, which would be annoying, I guess...might as well play back to the clubhouse, right?
Millennials are the idea driving this. And they can be tough to figure out. If they play 6, but can’t be bothered to play 3 more to get to the clubhouse....could they even be bothered to want to play the first 6 to begin with?

Millennials are the idea driving this. And they can be tough to figure out. If they play 6, but can’t be bothered to play 3 more to get to the clubhouse....could they even be bothered to want to play the first 6 to begin with?
like I said before, I can agree that at times 9 can seem like too little, while 18 is too much.

playing a full round is for sure a commitment...esp when you start drinking on hole 1

I can't see many people just going 6. Maybe someone swinging by the course after work to practice a bit. It's not worth the effort. It's really all about that middle ground on the back end like ill commented above

I can't see many people just going 6. Maybe someone swinging by the course after work to practice a bit. It's not worth the effort. It's really all about that middle ground on the back end like ill commented above
That would be me. Often times I’m counting down the holes from about 13-14 on...and I greatly enjoy the game. Why am I pushing through them? Because I paid for 18 holes in my mind.

Maybe it’s just marketing.....I’ll pay for 12, and if I want to keep going so what...as long as the new set up is driving in more customers it’s a win for the course.

what do you think?
6 holes? How would scoring/handicaps work?

I have a buddy who recently took up the game again and told me he's gotten much better, carding some pars and even birdies from time to time. He also told me he wasn't interested in joining my league golf team because that would be "serious" golf.

We played recently. Bad shots from the tee and fairways often led to "do overs" along with bumps from bad lies and around trees. Still got a "par" or two playing this way. That's fine, but that's not really golf.

I have a buddy who recently took up the game again and told me he's gotten much better, carding some pars and even birdies from time to time. He also told me he wasn't interested in joining my league golf team because that would be "serious" golf.

We played recently. Bad shots from the tee and fairways often led to "do overs" along with bumps from bad lies and around trees. Still got a "par" or two playing this way. That's fine, but that's not really golf.
I mean, you have to start somewhere and really, first person you are playing against is yourself. You go out and try to do better than you did last time. If you are playing multiple balls or taking mulligans, who cares? Hopefully someday he won't need them

I mean, you have to start somewhere and really, first person you are playing against is yourself. You go out and try to do better than you did last time. If you are playing multiple balls or taking mulligans, who cares? Hopefully someday he won't need them
Agree, just having fun if fine and part of the learning process.

But declaring "That's a par!" after using a foot wedge falls flat. At some point, you've got to stop kidding yourself.

That's also the reason him and his buddy don't use scorecards.

If you have an issue with an occasional mulligan or foot wedge while playing a casual round, I don't think you need to quote "serious"

Agree, just having fun if fine and part of the learning process.

But declaring "That's a par!" after using a foot wedge falls flat. At some point, you've got to stop kidding yourself.

That's also the reason him and his buddy don't use scorecards.
I golfed with that girl from NYC all last summer...she fudged numbers like crazy.

and they she would argue with me about what she shot on each hole when I wrote down something high.

I don't like cheaters like that

I golfed with that girl from NYC all last summer...she fudged numbers like crazy.

and they she would argue with me about what she shot on each hole when I wrote down something high.

I don't like cheaters like that
That's all I'm saying. Use a foot wedge, move from behind a tree or under a bush...fine. But count it as a stroke. You don't get to count only the strokes you like.

I don't think most of these folks consciously think they're cheating, at least at first. But there's no doubt golf is a fucking hard game, and probably the easiest to "cheat" at.

This is dumb.

18 holes has been cool since like the 15th century, ffs. Play fucking 9 if ya can't do 18, and if 9 is too much, you are a gaping pussy that should just go to the driving range or take up bird-watching er some shit.

This is dumb.

18 holes has been cool since like the 15th century, ffs. Play fucking 9 if ya can't do 18, and if 9 is too much, you are a gaping pussy that should just go to the driving range or take up bird-watching er some shit.
thanks for stopping by